• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Does anyone think that if it had been two Samoans who did that to a Scot, we'd have been treated to the same legal hair splitting?
I don't for a second think they would. It's bollocks. I think the original decision was harsh but I've seen different but legitimate opinions on this site and the decision was made.

To go from three weeks to nothing is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the system. Sob should be playing tonight.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
"Robbie Deans (New Zealand)". I thought he'd purchased a house in Australia and declared he wanted to live here. Nationality's another thing, bit like Steve Walsh.
Interesting that Deans was allowed in the decision making.
Place of birth aside, it would be easy to argue that as a former coach of Australia he could be seen as either biased towards the Wallabies because of his ties to the Wallabies set up or that he is biased against due to being dumped.

Since this decision has a direct effect on the Wallabies next game then surely he should not have been allowed to help decide.

That being said I dint think it would change his view but it just looks bad.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Meh. We appealled, we got off. Judiciary is a lottery, we all know this. I'd been hopeful, but didn't expect the result.

And PPs Blatant Xenophobia has become even more hilarious, especially since there's not fans more salty than Leinstermen and Munstermen than when calls don't go their way. At least the Ulstermen are reasonable most of the time.
Nothing xenophobic in highlighting that Scottish Rugby supporters boo every decision in a game like a load of fish wives. Let's have a listen today, shall we.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Place of birth aside, it would be easy to argue that as a former coach of Australia he could be seen as either biased towards the Wallabies because of his ties to the Wallabies set up or that he is biased against due to being dumped.

Since this decision has a direct effect on the Wallabies next game then surely he should not have been allowed to help decide.

As did an Australian citing the two lads in the first place, to be fair. The whole system needs an over haul with a panel judging whether or not players should be cited and citings not predicated on guilt, the point of a judicial process is to establish guilt/ innocence. There would be more citings but more players would be cleared.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't for a second think they would. It's bollocks. I think the original decision was harsh but I've seen different but legitimate opinions on this site and the decision was made.

To go from three weeks to nothing is ridiculous and makes a mockery of the system. Sob should be playing tonight.

One bloke taps someone in the stomach and gets a week. Chance of injury almost zero, and even if injured would likely be bruising at worst.

The other two dump someone on his head and now get off. Chance of injury a bit higher, and in the worst case it could lead to the guy no longer walking or even no longer being at all.

Yeah. Seems fair and consistent.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Blame Wood for this apparently.

Wood supposedly got off for the lack of intent in the kneeing of Liam Williams. Despite it being reckless. Hence, since each player's actions individually are legal, there's no intent to harm despite the recklessness, which was inherit in the actions of Wood.

Not saying I agree with the decision, they probably deserve at least a week, particularly Jonny, but that's what's leaking out of the judiciary ATM. Arguments will fly and abound everywhere. Should Tuilagi have been banned if this is the case? Somewhere between probably not and definitely not. Should Hooper have been banned? Probably, no arms in the clearout is an inherently illegal action, the contact to the head and blah blah blah, bored.

Still shocked personally that Wilson didn't get banned. He deserves it a lot more than those two. Dropped anyway, so moot point.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its a slippery slope Highlander - that's for sure.

The soul of the Law is about intent. My problem with that is we have decisions that are about results, not intent.

Cleaning out is not with the intent to hurt: it is generally to secure the ball.

Dropping an elbow onto someone is not anything but intent to hurt.

Punching someone can be a bit grey e.g. SOB was reacting to something he felt was a bit filthy. But a punch thrown with no provocation is definitely intent to hurt.

But then on field we have a situation where provocation - provided it isn't foul play - is let go, while retaliation is not. To a degree we've solved this with TMOs getting past the old "didn't see the first punch" business, but what do we do about other forms of provocation?

Today we saw Richie McCaw get offside at maul, then hang onto the ball on the deck after the whistle has gone. Arguably it was a professional foul on several counts (offside, playing ball on deck, not releasing, obstructing play). Because Picamoles is an idiot, McCaw suffers no penalty. Great gamesmanship, sure, and we've all seen players get away with it.

But we need to be even-handed and consistent with sanctions.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I was given two tickets to the match today and so far everyone I know in London who would be interested is either away for the weekend or already going.

Does anyone want it?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

They looked at his decision making as coach of Australia and concluded that it was so random that no one could accuse of him of anything - for or against - and that the randomness was entirely in keeping with the functioning of the judiciary throughout the RWC.
He's their virtual poster boy - what's more if he writes the reasons no one will have a clue what he is on about.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
"The soul of the law is about intent".

I'm no lawyer but isn't that a touch simplistic? Where necessary don't the law makers also hold to "Strict liability"?

Anyway we slide off topic. Tonight is a big one for the WBs. Think we the fans are entitled to feel that a comfortable win is expected. Go boys.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They looked at his decision making as coach of Australia and concluded that it was so random that no one could accuse of him of anything - for or against - and that the randomness was entirely in keeping with the functioning of the judiciary throughout the RWC.
He's their virtual poster boy - what's more if he writes the reasons no one will have a clue what he is on about.

riddler_logo.jpg

Deans was often called "The Riddler" by Wallabies players, because he would bamboozle them with cryptic messages about their game.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/rugby-world-cup/i-was-made-to-feel-old-and-finished-matt-giteau-on-his-return-to-the-wallabies-for-the-rugby-world-cup-20151016-gkaq07.html#ixzz3ouX0D6SY
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Are Ford and Gray actually confirmed in the 23 now?

Lack of intent makes no sense, if any player purposely kicked another in the head or purposely lifted someone on their head they should be banned for life.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No, but I don't believe they need to be up until final teamsheet submission.

Even if you wanted to keep the combinations trained with this week, they'd be on the bench. Ford and J. Gray >>>>>>>>>>> Bryce and Big Al, regardless of circumstances.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Starting lineup must be named before game (36 hours? 48?) but bench doesn't have to be finalised until an hour before kickoff I think.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Aussie by 50 - Eaaaaaaaaasy

Australia by 60+ Just so good at the moment. Can't see them tripping up at all. If there was going to be a shock in the quarter finals, it definitely wouldn't be this match. Scotland zero chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.