• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Ireland - 17th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

What2040

Palu, Slipper, TPN and Mitchell will all get run-on time against the Minnows - OZ needs them match fit for back end (hopefully)

T

The Burner

I thinks the Aussie front five have developed quite nicely this past year and have all the attributes (size, athleticism, mobility, mongrel, worth rate and smarts) to more than hold their own against this Irish front five in which there is only one real ball carrier of note in Healy. O'Connell has been a fine player for many years, but his partner hasn't fronted up consistently for a long time and he will not get much support either from his TH prop who cannot move his feet anywhere outside the scrum. And then who have the Irish coming off the bench to replace tired legs? Cronin, Court, Ryan and Leamy will offer precious little impact and are a substantial step down from the players they might replace. In contrast, the Wallaby bench has real impact and punch. I do not expect the game to be that close around the 60-65 minute mark and I expect that the Wallabies will pull further away when the bench is unleashed.

I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying. But I was quite pleased with the irish front 5 in the warm up games and I think its an area Kidney will be hoping for supremacy. I dont think the Australian front 5 is a bad unit but we have to try and gain the upper hand in some area and I cant see where else we could gain the upper hand. Can you? I think Kidney has missed a trick in not starting O Gara. If conditions are as expected then O Gara should have started. He is a sublime tactical kicker in wet weather conditions. I have seen him do it so many time for Munster and Ireland. 2002 vs Australia in Landsdowne road comes to mind. O Gara has that Swagger (almost cockiness) to impose himself on this type of game. People regularly point to his week defence but he does put his body on the line even if he doesnt always get his man.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There were a couple of occasions on Sunday where the rain showed up on TV. I was checking the NZ Met Service website for the Auckland forecast and it stated that Auckland received over 30mm of rain on Sunday.

Forecast for Saturday is showers in the afternoon.

Most of that rain came through in the morning though. I did a 28km "Fun" run on Sunday morning before going to the match and it was up there for the worst conditions I've run in - worst raced in anyway. There was also a mini-Tornado that tore some family's house apart in the morning.

At the actual match there was a period of heavy rain in the first half but it passed fairly quickly and things were ok from there on - which partly explains the improved handling and thumping of the Italians that we dished out after break.

I think we've got too much class for the Irish either way, especially the way they've been playing lately.

But they certainly won't lacking for support at the ground. Plenty of Irishmen in the Auckland streets tonight and on the radio over here, every 2nd station has some knob DJ banging on about how all the Kiwi "neutrals" hope the Irish put one over us. Much like at the Italy match, I think a fair few Kiwi's will magically re-discover their Irish roots on Saturday and cheer for them.

P

potogold

pocock should outplay o brien on the ground at 7 because o brien is not a 7. we only had one 7 and that was wallace who is gone. o brien is on the pitch to do a job, go forward and break the line, which he does nearly every time. its not hype, its deserved.
elsom won the ERC award and two years later o brien emulates him, that puts it in perspective.

pocock will outplay him on the ground sure, but he will get run over.

P

potogold

at 1:40 vs scotland where he SWATS the player away and at 2:00 where he doesnt stop running are my favourite.
he is man horse[video=youtube;BDTmdDhGO50]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDTmdDhGO50[/video]

W

Worldcupnut

Potogold, thanks for that educational video on SOB. I'm surely going to enjoy watching him Saturday!

T

tranquility

Watching Jamie Roberts the other night, I bet Robbie Deans has had some wet dreams hoping Patty McCabe learn how to play like that in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I think under our current structure, that would be Robbie's ideal 12. Is it possible to prefer a 12 over Nonu? Im not sure....

Logorrhea

Stan Wickham (3)
Christ sake lads. O'Brien is a 6 or 8 playing 7. Of course Pocock will hammer him at the breakdown (hes pretty much the best in the world at it isnt he?). I bet O'Brien will carry the ball further. A daft comparison.

Incidently, even the good clips where O'Brien was wearing 7 (above 3 minutes), he was actually playing 6 at the time (Jennings had come on at 7 and O'Brien had moved across).

B

BRIX

pocock should outplay o brien on the ground at 7 because o brien is not a 7. we only had one 7 and that was wallace who is gone. o brien is on the pitch to do a job, go forward and break the line, which he does nearly every time. its not hype, its deserved.
elsom won the ERC award and two years later o brien emulates him, that puts it in perspective.

pocock will outplay him on the ground sure, but he will get run over.

Deserved so indeed. Big fan of O'brien myself but that's just not going to happen mate - It's a whole different thing swatting players in the Magners League, but he'll be up against the form #7 in the world and his stubborn mates come Saturday. Should be a great game irregardless of the weather, good luck to all my Irish pals and posters

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Would have thought moving O'Connor to 11 would have made more sense as he would have far more experience defending at 10 and it still allows Ashley-Cooper to counter attack. Obviously his fumbles under the highball cost him dearly and now he's going to have to do a lot of hard yards in defence. Fainga'a very lucky and will probably hold the 13 jersey till at least the quarters now unless Barnes or Horne are extraordinary in their limited game time.

Looking forward to this clash, I think the Irish are being heavily underestimated. They pose a threat and that alone is enough for me to suggest that the wallabies can't show any mercy. Would love to see this game played in the forwards but I think the Irish may fancy themselves running at the newly formed midfield combination and thus we will see some good attacking rugby. Tipping the Wallabies to get home in a fast finish, probably by about 10 points, Elsom to be MOM

P

potogold

Deserved so indeed. Big fan of O'brien myself but that's just not going to happen mate - It's a whole different thing swatting players in the Magners League, but he'll be up against the form #7 in the word and his stubborn come Saturday. Should be a great game irregardless of the weather, good luck to all my Irish pals and posters

i agree he is up against the best 7, and it wont be easy at all, but he wont be up against him for the whole game everytime, unless australia have some insane man marking tactic, which i doubt.
and anyways in that clip there is alot of Hcup and 6nations, so he can handle talent. first taste of southern hemisphere on saturday though,,,, and to be honest i cant wait. will be a cracker

B

BRIX

Yep the Irish will def be fired up and it'll be an absolute cracker. O'brien is a certainty to swat a player or 2 out of his way - most likely Quade he he

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Watching Jamie Roberts the other night, I bet Robbie Deans has had some wet dreams hoping Patty McCabe learn how to play like that in the next 3 or 4 weeks. I think under our current structure, that would be Robbie's ideal 12. Is it possible to prefer a 12 over Nonu? Im not sure....

You'd have to prefer Nonu. Roberts has been in average to poor form in the last couple of seasons. That was his best game for club or country since the 2009 Lions tour, but it was bloody good wasn't it?

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't know about that...

Pocock isnt the kind of player to get run over or miss a tackle...

I know SOB is better, but this makes me think of last year against SA when Spies was making a massive run down field swatting away the whole Wallaby side. Then, the massively strong number 8 ran dead into Pocock who performed a textbook dominant tackle and drove him into the ground. I think he would do the same here.

Status
Not open for further replies.