• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
North Harbour Stadium

Sunday 11th September 2011 - 1.30 pm [AEST]

Each Wallabies game will have a separate thread. Start them when you like.

Who should play in the first game?

My thinking: they will play their best 22 against Italy to get ready for Ireland.

R

Richard D. James

It's an interesting draw for us. Heading into the quarters (if all goes to plan) off the back of our two "easier" games will lead to some interesting selection choices...

Only a week to go, all these threads are making me excited!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Was going to see this game in Christchurch, alas now I'll be watching in a bar in Dunedin. Anyone know of a good rugby bar to watch the game there?

I think Robbie would be mad not to trot out the same 15 that started last up, they deserve first chance imo. Should see some changes to the bench though with TPN & Slipper there at the least, Palu would also be in need of some game time.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I would think Robbie will be wanting to give Mitchell some game time prior to the finals. I am really interested to see where he is at and how far off his best form he is. I am hoping he will start some pool games as opposed to coming off the bench. Agree TPN & Palu too need some time on the field.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Deans to change team for World Cup opener against Italy

Bret Harris
September 03, 2011 12:00AM

WALLABIES coach Robbie Deans seems almost certain to make changes to the team that won the Tri-Nations decider against the All Blacks for the opening game of the World Cup against Italy next Sunday.

There is a golden rule that you do not change a winning team, but Deans must navigate a pool round, which includes a key game against Ireland today fortnight.

While Italy is a danger game, the Wallabies must beat Ireland to earn a favourable passage through the finals stage, avoiding potential match-ups with the Springboks and All Blacks.

Deans has already stated he intends to use all 30 members of the Wallabies squad during the tournament.

After hard-fought wins against the Springboks in Durban and the All Blacks in Brisbane in the last two Tri-Nations Tests, Deans may refresh some players against Italy and give other candidates a chance to impress for the Irish game.

What is almost certain to influence Deans's thinking is the fact the Wallabies have only a six-day turnaround after the Italy Test before they play Ireland.

It was difficult to read too much into the opposed session at Coogee Oval in Sydney yesterday because we are still a week away from the Italy game.

But if that session was any indication, Deans is possibly looking to revamp the backline by starting halfback Luke Burgess, five-eighth Berrick Barnes, outside centre Rob Horne and wingers Drew Mitchell and James O'Connor.

And props James Slipper and Salesi Ma'afu looked like they could start against Italy, but it was hard to be definitive because Ben Alexander and Sekope Kepu did not participate in the session.

It would be a brave coach to enter a Test against a Six Nations opponent, even Italy, without halves Will Genia and Quade Cooper, but Burgess and Barnes have formed a combination at the NSW Waratahs.

Barnes is on the comeback trail after taking a break from the game because of concussion-related issues and is yet to play a Test this year, although he did play for the Australian Barbarians against Canada a week ago last night.

The same applies to Horne and Mitchell, although Horne managed to secure a place on the reserves bench for the All Blacks in Brisbane.

One of Deans's biggest decisions is whether to recall O'Connor, who missed the All Blacks Test while serving a suspension for failing to attend the Wallabies' World Cup squad announcement.

Adam Ashley-Cooper performed superbly on the right wing against the All Blacks, although he did not take part in yesterday's session because of a corked leg.

Halfback Genia sat fairly and squarely on the fence when asked if O'Connor should be recalled.

"That's a tough one, isn't it?" Genia said.

"Everyone played outstandingly well, particularly the two wingers.

"Adam Ashley-Cooper probably had his best game on the wing and his defence was outstanding.

"That's a headache for Robbie and I'm glad I don't have anything to do with it."

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I expect to see an unchanged starting pack but I think Barnes might get a run at 12.

There's been a lot said that O'Connor will get the wing spot back due to his goal kicking but I think it might well be Barnes to 12 and goal kicking with JOC (James O'Connor) to the bench.

I don't think playing a team below full strength would be a good idea at all after the Samoan incident. And Italy nearly beat us over there a couple years ago. So I would prefer we go with our best lineup and belt them.

I am going. Sitting near halfway but on the open side so hoping for good weather.

C

chief

It's impossible for Deans to pick a top 15 players right now, there's 25/30 people in the squad who deserve some time and who I would be happy seeing in the team. I won't be critical if he picks Barnes, Mitchell, Sharpe, and TPN and Palu (bench) in the team. Just butter them up for the Ireland game. As a lot of those players have and could easily be eying off starting positions.

We shouldn't write the Italians off, they've nearly beaten us before.

PS: Just an idea. But for the RWC, can we get like a sub forum. There's just going to be so many games, and I want to sift through all the posts so that could be easier.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Deans has a history of starting the "B" and loading the bench

I wouldn't be surprised to see Burgess, Nau, Sharpe & Barnes starting with Genia, Horwill & Cooper on the bench etc

D

daz

Deans shouldn't be tinkering with a winning formula.

There should only be improvements to the bench.

The problem with that Slim, is that should we lose a key player at the pointy end of the tournament, the back-ups will have had no game time and little combo knowledge. I don't mind rotating during the pool stage as long as we have a full load of top shelf players for the knock-out games.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The BP here would be nice. I'd like to see a pretty similar team. Either Cooper or Genia should play, i wouldn't take both out. (because a new attacking combo will struggle to get a BP against Italy who will be trying to disrupt us all game).

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Cause if Genia goes down at any point we are F*****. Plain and simple, I want to know that we have a back-up plan.

If I had a dollar for everyone who said that about some player this year I'd be rich.

The word 'fucked' is seriously overused. Even Genia can be successfully replaced.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
People should be reminded that Sanchez had a mediocre 2010 EOYT by his standards and yet we still had one of our best wins ever - against France.

This retreat from brilliance was reflected in the amount of votes Genia got in the Eales award the other night, before this year's 3N.

He is our most valuable player player, but irreplaceable? No.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Burgess needs some serious game time. He really only played a handful of minutes during the Tri Nations. I also don't think that playing most of a game against USA or Russia will really give the match practice needed. The opposition need to at least be decent.

I think giving him a start is a good idea because you can almost guarantee there will be one game at the pointy end of the tournament where we will need him for more than the five minutes he's got in most of the 3N games.

I also think Barnes is likely to be given a shot to regain the starting 12 position.

Status
Not open for further replies.