• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC - Wallabies v Italy - 11th September 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be playing:

1. Kepu
2. TPN (50 minutes or so)
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers (at least a half)
7. McCalman
8. Palu (if he's ready)
9. Burgess
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Barnes (I think Deans still thinks he is a chance at being the number one 12. If that's the case, he needs to play 12, not 10)
13. Horne
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Beale

16. Moore
17. Simmons
18. Alexander
19. Elsom
20. Pocock (only plays if we're desperate)
21. Genia
22. A Fainga'a or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I think we need to get some good game time into a lot of the starting XV here. I also don't think it says we are underrating the Italians. We have firepower off the bench if required.

With the 6 day turnaround before our key Pool game, I think Vickerman and Samo can both be rested. As the oldest guys (apart from Sharpey who does need game time), I think they are more likely to struggle with a quick turnaround and should be kept fresh.

I also think Pocock could do with a week off if he isn't needed.

I think Slipper is a better scrummager than Alexander and looked great in the Baa Baas game. I don't think starting him is a risk.

I also think this team is a far cry from the one that played Samoa. I don't think that comparison is really valid considering how far ahead these guys are from the team that played there.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
My team:

11. Mitchell (see where he is)
12. Barnes (see where he is)
13. Horne (see where he is)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)

That's four changes from the Suncorp game.

5 including JOC (James O'Connor) for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Why don't we play the B-team against Russia and the USA as well? I'm sure our 1stXV could use the break and will be really refreshed because of it. On second thoughts, Ireland have been playing horribly lately and are ranked 8th, surely our 2nd-stringers could easily put one over them. After sitting out of the pool stages we'll have no trouble in the knock-out rounds against our exhausted opponents. I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of this sooner? Henry will be fuming when we bring use this one against him on his home turf.

Haven't we learnt anything from this years tri-nations? SA and NZ threw it away and now we're left holding the damn thing.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems an odd thing to say since McCabe and Fainga'a were excellent in defence.

I looked at the tape again and while they mostly were good, McCabe missed a first up tackle on Nonu at the beginning of the phase we he scored, and Antfinger came off his man onto Carter - who was alreday covered by Genia - and Smith collected the pass out oif contact and strolled over. Two lapses, two tries.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Agreed - I'd be letting Alexander start and take the sting out of that Italian front row, Short of a gallop, Slipper is likely to get a reaming. Reckon he should get plenty of time in the second half depending on how we are going.

Fair point. Although are Italy as strong as they were?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Why don't we play the B-team against Russia and the USA as well? I'm sure our 1stXV could use the break and will be really refreshed because of it. On second thoughts, Ireland have been playing horribly lately and are ranked 8th, surely our 2nd-stringers could easily put one over them. After sitting out of the pool stages we'll have no trouble in the knock-out rounds against our exhausted opponents. I don't know why anyone hasn't thought of this sooner? Henry will be fuming when we bring use this one against him on his home turf.

Haven't we learnt anything from this years tri-nations? SA and NZ threw it away and now we're left holding the damn thing.

No one is talking about playing B teams here. We're playing players we have to give game time to because it is highly likely they'll be needed later. The chances of us going injury free is virtually zero.

Equally importantly, we may not know who our A team is until we see these guys in action. Slipper and Mitchell especially are strong contenders for a starting role.

L

Linus

I want to ask a question that I will then answer but want to provoke opinion. How you see Italy winning this match??

The only chance they have is playing it as tight as they can and kick penalties.

In saying that then you pick your best set piece side, it really is unlikely that it matters who plays outside 10 for the Wobblies, I don't see the Italians going that route. They'll kick, play to set piece. So I'm in the camp that wants the backs to be suitably adjusted to get game time into them. Then Sharpe slips in for the lineout and Slipper replacing Maafood on the Bench, hope that you get a lead, to whip on the replacement forwards shortly as possible after half time.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
No one is talking about playing B teams here. We're playing players we have to give game time to because it is highly likely they'll be needed later. The chances of us going injury free is virtually zero.

Equally importantly, we may not know who our A team is until we see these guys in action. Slipper and Mitchell especially are strong contenders for a starting role.

Don't forget TPN. As good as Moore has been in the green and gold; a 100% fit TPN is a different beast altogether and the only hooker in the SH that rivals Bismark.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The threat in this game comes from the Italian pack. In the past we have struggled with them because of our set piece and our inability at times to man up at the coal face.
In our last test we were very physical and the set piece, while not yet good, was heading in the right direction.
I would start with the same pack but have Slipper, TPN and Palu on the bench.
If I was Deans I would be keen to have a look at Barnes and would start him at 12 or give him at least a half off the bench.
Ditto for Mitchell.
JOC (James O'Connor) can wait out another game in the interests of the mission.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
JOC (James O'Connor) can wait out another game in the interests of the mission.

I would sit him out as part of his punnishment, but dont tell him until as late as possible, this way he might actually realise that he did something wrong and you have to work hard and behave like a team player to get selected.

I would sit him out for the first 2 games either way, once he misses a game against a "top" team he might realise what he has done, and hopefully build a hunger to succeed and repay his debt to his team mates

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd start Slipper, Vickerman, Samo and JOC (James O'Connor). I'd also try and give Mitchell or Barnes, TPN, Palu and Higginbotham a run in the second half.

What a strong bench, should have a decent impact on the game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There are a number that need game time, I expect a strong but mixed side for Italy, near the Tri Nations side for Ireland and weaker mixed sides for the following two.

What we don't know is the niggles, who out of the Tri Nations side has minor stuff.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be worried that Samo and Vickerman will have a tougher time with the 6 day turnaround before our key pool match.

I'd be tempted to either rest one or both of them or give them a maximum of a half each. Sharpey certainly could do with a run as could Cliffy if he is fit.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Very valid concerns, BH. Samo didn't last more than 50-odd minutes IIRC (although he did have some barnstorming runs and knocks that would've taken a lot out of anyone), I'm not as worried about Vicks ability to last but the post-game recovery will be hard for both of them.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Very valid concerns, BH. Samo didn't last more than 50-odd minutes IIRC (although he did have some barnstorming runs and knocks that would've taken a lot out of anyone), I'm not as worried about Vicks ability to last but the post-game recovery will be hard for both of them.

They both need the game time as well though. Samo is going to be 50 minutes max all RWC, so happy to keep him with that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They both need the game time as well though. Samo is going to be 50 minutes max all RWC, so happy to keep him with that.

Vickers and Samo should both be 50 minute players and have nothing left in the tank at that point in time. It's definitely part of the balance of the side that we have players who are there to make an impact for part of the match and then be replaced and players like Horwill who will pay 80.

Samo and Palu playing 50 and 30 minutes respectively is a pretty exciting prospect at number 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To anyone in the know about the Shute Shield...

With the Wallabies starting at 1:30pm on it seems strange that Easts vs Randwick in the Shute Shield semi final is scheduled for 3pm.

Does anyone know if that would be likely to be pushed back? You'd assume that the game will either be deserted or people will turn up for 1:30 and watch the Wallabies first. It would be bizarre if they kick off the club rugby game when there is still 10-15 minutes left in the Wallabies World Cup game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Does Samo really? He has a whole Super season under his belt.

Vicks, maybe. I think he's doing pretty well, but if they both need gametime they can come off the bench against the minnows.

Status
Not open for further replies.