• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15 Rd 1 - Brumbies v Reds, Friday 13th February

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah you nailed it Thierry. Underwhelmed. But if the other guys aren't fit/ready yet then that's all there is to it.
Korcyck will be fine but Beau must surely be injured if he's not on the bench.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I worry about the defence of the centre pairing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. I can see some clean breaks for the Ponies through our midfield. I just hope those two boys have been working their arses off on the preseason on their defence and decision making.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Shatz and Gill better be prepared to do a fair bit of cover up in the mid field.

Where the fuck is Thomson and JOC (James O'Connor) ??????? And Beau ???????

New blokes will bring a heap of enthusiasm - hope thats enough

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm surprised Korczyk is on the bench but it makes sense for the set piece. The Reds are probably hoping for lineout ascendancy and Korczyk provides a good target.

I'm a bit surprised about the center pairing. I'm guessing its experimental and will change once JOC (James O'Connor) and Taps are both ready to play. Can't see a whole lot of passing happening in the back line.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Brums backline will be quite awesome. Ours a bit untested. Fuck I hope we move up quickly and cut the ball off before it gets to big Henry.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So it looks like the pack might be Sio, Mann-Rea, Alexander, Carter, Arnold, Fardy, Pocock, Butler, and the reserves Moore, Smith, Smith, Enever (or Smiler), Vaea. Looks strong with 6 starting Wallabies and one on the bench.

The backline is pretty much settled I would think. Only question will be who makes the bench.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Brumbies
1. Scott Sio
2. Josh Mann-Rea
3. Ben Alexander
4. Rory Arnold
5. Sam Carter
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock (c)
8. Jarrad Butler
9. Nic White (vc)
10. Matt To'omua
11. Joe Tomane
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Robbie Coleman

Replacements
16. Stephen Moore
17. JP Smith
18. Ruan Smith
19. Jordan Smiler
20. Ita Vaea
21. Michael Dowsett
22. James Dargaville
23. Lausii Taliauli

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It will be interesting to see how the Reds scrum holds up

I'm sure their scrum will hold up quite well. They've had a particularly efficient scrum over the past year or two and their trial form showed they are strong again this year even with novices in the front row.

A lot of credit must go to Nick Stiles.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I agree with the defensive worries for the new centre pairing, but I am also pretty excited. Kerevi mainly played 12 in the NRC* and was very, very good at absorbing a number of defenders then getting an offload away.

*yes, I know Super Rugby is different.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm a bit worried about the Reds backline in this one. They should be fine in attack but it's an untested centre pairing against a very good Brumbies backline together with Lachie Turner on the wing who hasn't played a single trial to my knowledge which is a cause for concern.

Interestingly, JJT seems to be the least of the Reds worries. After a strong NRC and a good performance in the trials, his woes of 2014 seem to be well and truly behind him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Who is doing the Reds defense this season, hopefully not the same guy who designed the disasters of last season

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Man that Reds team is disappointing.

Why no Adam Thomson? He's by all accounts fit.

Also the absence of JOC (James O'Connor) and Ant is worrying. The Brumbies 10 to 14 looks solid as fuck. CFS is a worry; the bloke is struggling for form. Not sure if I can identify any area the Reds have an advantage. I would have thought putting Robinson on the bench might give the Reds a chance of dominating the breakdown in the second half (with an overweight Ita Vea picked by the brumbies).

My confidence has been dashed a bit. I'll change my prediction from Brumbies by 5 to Brumbies by 10.

IMO, the Reds' best chance is to try to outplay them in the tight five. They have a slightly better front row. Genia will also be a big factor for the Reds. If he plays like last week, the Reds will be a handful going forward.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It will be interesting to see how the Reds scrum holds up

?? probably the one area the Reds should have a clear advantage. The Reds front row has come a long way in the last three seasons. If Alexander hasn't found some form in the off season Slipper will likely dominate him.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Seeing the teams published, I'm now not so sure that this will be a 8 try+ game.

On paper, the Ponies may have an edge, but it should be a real ding dong scrap. I'm excited.

Looking forward to see how young Magnay goes off the bench for the Reds.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
?? probably the one area the Reds should have a clear advantage. The Reds front row has come a long way in the last three seasons. If Alexander hasn't found some form in the off season Slipper will likely dominate him.

Alexander has always been solid at S15 level, it was more a comment on Sia and Talakai

The other question for me is how the Reds plan to exit their half, the ponies will kick the leather off the ball as usual and a back three of Lachie Turner, Chris Kuridrani & Jamie-Jerry Taulagi is "untried", I expect Genia to do a lot of sitting back

Status
Not open for further replies.