• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15 Rd 1 - Brumbies v Reds, Friday 13th February

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think the Reds have the balance in the back 3 pretty spot on:

- JJT is great at cutting broken defensive lines to shreds, especially on kick returns
- Kuridrani is a big bopper with some pace, capable of barracking over for tries close to the line
- Turner is the known factor, quick and reliable with ball in hand, also good at getting in position defensively

I like it.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Alexander's form took a major nose dive in 2014. He looks a shelf of the player he once was, whereas Slipper is a world class LHP.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wouldn't be surprised to see K drop back in D like Quade used to. Confident under the high ball and the best boot.

Agreed re backline defence concerns - surely you had have the red centres rushing up in the first few phases trying to put some shots on (even if a little late) to have the brumbs looking up to see whats coming.

Also good to see RG put faith in young players doing the job rather than rush others back. Should help team morale.

something

Jim Clark (26)
JOC (James O'Connor) and Thompson are both being held of so that they don't start prematurely. I think staying on the side of caution for round 1 isn't such a bad thing.

I actually like the Kerevi-CFS centre pairing. Chris needs to find some form, but is now in his favourite position and Kerevi is the future 12 in my opinion, may as well give them some game time together when you get the chance. Its unfortunate that the brumbies have such a great defensive back line because i think that pairing would unsettle the less equipped.

T

TOCC

Alexander has always been solid at S15 level, it was more a comment on Sia and Talakai

Really, because the Brumbies statistically had the worst scrum in super rugby in 2014...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT Waterboy

Stan Wickham (3)
The reds lineup has given me much confidence, I can see big tevita putting some hits on and bagging a couple of tries

Brumbies could get a bonus point here

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
A bit of punting value in the Reds for those who like to throw money away.

Reds - $3.15
Brumbies - $1.36

Reds were about $2.80 before the squad was announced. I'm guessing no JOC (James O'Connor) and Thomson has cause the difference.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really, because the Brumbies statistically had the worst scrum in super rugby in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe those stats reflect the Brumbies' poor second half scrummaging and the massive drop in quality in their reserve props/locks............

Two games that best highlight this were against the Reds and Chiefs where the Brumbies went from having the dominant scrum to giving away multiple tightheads.........

As for Alexander, despite his limitations at test level his Super Rugby form is what has seen him be a regularly starter for the Wobs up until Kepu stepped up......... his Super Rugby form in 2013 following the Lions disaster was quite impressive.

But as for the weekend.......... we've got the 2 best looseheads in the country on show and whoever is able to get the better of their opponent will go a long way in determining the scrum contest.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
JOC (James O'Connor) and Thompson are both being held of so that they don't start prematurely. I think staying on the side of caution for round 1 isn't such a bad thing.

Is that the nice way of saying they both couldn't pass fitness tests?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Reds injury/unavailability list is horrendous and the season hasn't even started.

Holmes, Simmons, McDuling, Thomson, Quirk, maybe Beau, Tui not arrived yet, Cooper, Ant, Taps, JOC (James O'Connor).

Of those, Holmes, Simmons, Thomson, Cooper, one of Ant/Taps and JOC (James O'Connor) are all first xv starters: that's 6 first team players out.

edit: Beau confirmed out.

Official Reds statement was:

Unavailable for selection due to injury are Quade Cooper (collar bone), Anthony Fainga’a (knee), Greg Holmes (thumb), Dave McDuling (glute), Eddie Quirk (knee), Beau Robinson (calf), Rob Simmons (shoulder) and Ben Tapuai (hamstring).

James O’Connor and Adam Thomson have not been considered for selection as neither have had enough time to prove their fitness ahead of Round 1.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
And I don't like Korczyk and Magnay on the bench, neither is ready in my book. Magnay is a good prospects, but he still looks too hesitant and he made a large number of defensive mistakes against the Crusaders in his short time on the park. He needs time.

But, they are all the Reds have left at the moment it seems. The choice must have been between Korczyk and Lolo if Beau is out.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Well you whingers have well & truly given us underdog status.

How about some positives.

- Pack as good or better across the park and set piece should go to the Reds.
- Probably the biggest Reds backline for some time. When the forwards get sick of rolling through the Brumbies pack I'm excited to see what they can do.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
These are the current best and fit 23 players for this game. End of story. No point of arguing if they are ready or not. I think based on what I have seen in NRC and preseason they are. Korczyk is good 6, offers aerial advantage and could play lock if required. Let's stay positive. I know they will do well on Friday.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The other question for me is how the Reds plan to exit their half, the ponies will kick the leather off the ball as usual and a back three of Lachie Turner, Chris Kuridrani & Jamie-Jerry Taulagi is "untried", I expect Genia to do a lot of sitting back

Exits shouldn't be too much of a problem, that back three is well equipped to run the ball back and JJT has a pretty big and good boot as well. I'd expect hunt to fall back and get involved regularly, particularly with the predictability of the brumbies kicking, he offers quality in both running and kicking for returns.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Would love Hunts first touch on kick return to be an old school Broncos style head down truck ball!! Would be cheering then yelling once the turnover happens.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
That injury list is unbelievable considering the season hasn't even started yet.

There is no way that is just "bad luck".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Exits shouldn't be too much of a problem, that back three is well equipped to run the ball back and JJT has a pretty big and good boot as well. I'd expect hunt to fall back and get involved regularly, particularly with the predictability of the brumbies kicking, he offers quality in both running and kicking for returns.

It was more a question on attitude, they will get lots of practice and I do wonder if they will get the support off the ball to run it without being isolated

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It's really the coach factor more than anything. Back when Link was coach, you would look at this line up and think, the reds will win this. With Graham you just have a feeling that the end product will be a shambles.

With that said, I thought the team looked excellent last week so lets hope Graham can get the best out of the talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.