• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

S15R14 Blues vs Stormers @ Eden Park - 2011R14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There has been a lot of criticism of S15 rugby this year, regarding the format, length of season, method of selecting the Top 6 etc. But gee whiz it's hard not to get excited about Super Rugby when there are matches like this to watch on a Friday arvo. This match is so crucial for both teams, and should be an absolute cracker. Both teams were last-start losers and both will be utterly desperate to make ammends, and get their season back on track. Even with the Stormers' star midfield duo missing, there are a feast of mouthwatering match-ups. I am particularly looking forward to Burger vs Kaino. These two play a similar style of rugby, and in a RWC year both players will be keen to gain a psychological edge over the other. And Ali Williams & Bioric vs Andre Bekker should also be an fierce contest.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
There has been a lot of criticism of S15 rugby this year, regarding the format, length of season, method of selecting the Top 6 etc. But gee whiz it's hard not to get excited about Super Rugby when there are matches like this to watch on a Friday arvo. This match is so crucial for both teams, and should be an absolute cracker. Both teams were last-start losers and both will be utterly desperate to make ammends, and get their season back on track. Even with the Stormers' star midfield duo missing, there are a feast of mouthwatering match-ups. I am particularly looking forward to Burger vs Kaino. These two play a similar style of rugby, and in a RWC year both players will be keen to gain a psychological edge over the other. And Ali Williams & Bioric vs Andre Bekker should also be an fierce contest.

AC: Agree re S15 in general. If you stand back and be wholly objective about this comp, by any standard it has to be one of the finest, most stimulating, highest (consistent) quality, major sports code competitions in the world, ever. The range of excellent teams is fantastic, the endurance and fortitude over distances and time, the international factor, the terrific weekend line up of games, the intriguing variations in tactics and skills, the list of this comp's qualities and drawing power is superb. Fans, players, all, should be very proud of it, in aggregate, it is extraordinary.

And if there wasn't someone, somewhere, issuing the typical carping criticism about something, the refs, the scoring method, now the Aussie 'school boy play', we'd rightly be worried that this was not the rugby world we've long known and loved.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
AC: Agree re S15 in general. If you stand back and be wholly objective about this comp, by any standard it has to be one of the finest, most stimulating, highest (consistent) quality, major sports code competitions in the world, ever. The range of excellent teams is fantastic, the endurance and fortitude over distances and time, the international factor, the terrific weekend line up of games, the intriguing variations in tactics and skills, the list of this comp's qualities and drawing power is superb. Fans, players, all, should be very proud of it, in aggregate, it is extraordinary.

And if there wasn't someone, somewhere, issuing the typical carping criticism about something, the refs, the scoring method, now the Aussie 'school boy play', we'd rightly be worried that this was not the rugby world we've long known and loved.

Sometimes I find it frustrating that so called Rugby people feel the need to constantly criticise the game they profess to love. There is no such thing as a perfect competition with a perfect format and perfect rules, yet it seems rugby fans are right up there as the biggest moaners in world sport. Personally, I'm enjoying this season of Super Rugby more than ever.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My personal view is that this Super rugby season has been one of the more enjoyable ones I have witnessed and I've been watching since the very first one. I've seen more games this year than any season previously and plenty of games that didn't just involve Aussie teams. That tells you something.

I like the new format, love the fact that the programme feels like a proper footy season and the expanded finals format. I think it's gone very well.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sometimes I find it frustrating that so called Rugby people feel the need to constantly criticise the game they profess to love. There is no such thing as a perfect competition with a perfect format and perfect rules, yet it seems rugby fans are right up there as the biggest moaners in world sport. Personally, I'm enjoying this season of Super Rugby more than ever.

True, but us rugby tragics tend to pay more attention to this than your average punter. I enjoy watching Aussie Rules too, but I don't have the same level of passion or interest as I do rugby. Hence my membership of this place.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I assume that neither the Highlanders coach or Luke Watson watched the Reds vs Blues game?

I wonder how these soft Aussie teams have any chance against the might of SA and NZ?

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I assume that neither the Highlanders coach or Luke Watson watched the Reds vs Blues game?

I wonder how these soft Aussie teams have any chance against the might of SA and NZ?

I'm not sure what Jamie Joseph was thinking with those comments. Talk about giving the Reds, and Tahs, a massive dose of motivation at a crucial time of the season. Mind you, JJ has always been a bit off the cuff at times.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
I am not a fan of the new format but I have to admit that in general the match ups have been more balanced than any other season I can remember.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure what Jamie Joseph was thinking with those comments. Talk about giving the Reds, and Tahs, a massive dose of motivation at a crucial time of the season. Mind you, JJ has always been a bit off the cuff at times.

I would be happy to see the Reds face the Clan in the finals after those comments. I generally regard him a good oporator but I think he has made a bit of a dill out of himself with those comments.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

The match ups
dc72fcd476d44f32945f15e3322bc6aa.jpg

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
From Pat Lam's laptop:

Coach's Corner
18 May 2011

We all took a knock with the saddening news about Kurtis’ battle with cancer this week, with the latest tests revealing it was the worst case scenario we were anticipating. Kurty is already undergoing chemotherapy and that coupled with surgery will certainly rule him out of rugby for at least 12 months which is the least of his worries. The news certainly hit the team hard and the boys are determined to do everything we can to support and help him. He’s in our prayers and it certainly puts everything in perspective. The guys have been playing for Kurty over the last few weeks now and will continue to do so, so as a team we’ll all be gathering around him during this difficult time.

Analysing the game on the Reds, obviously we’re all disappointed and we got off to a terrible start. There were a lot of uncharacteristic errors made in both defence and attack but once we awoke we showed a lot of character in clawing our way back into the game. At 27-21 down we broke down the sideline and I thought we were going to score but we ended up getting a penalty out of it and were right back in it at 27-24. However in the space of ten minutes we gave away ten soft points which forced us to really scramble after the game. Again we showed a lot of character to come back a minute and a half after the final whistle to get that last try and the conversion to salvage two points which is crucial at this stage of the competition.

Other results went our way which meant we remain at the top of the New Zealand conference, but while it was good it was also frustrating because it could have put a big gap on the rest of the field if we had won so we’re all disappointed but we’ve put it behind us now. We’ve had a good review of what we need to do and we’re now full steam ahead and focusing on getting back on the horse, returning to Eden Park and playing against the Stormers on Friday night. We’ve played 12 games this season but only three at Eden Park so we’re looking forward to getting back there and out onto the pitch in front of a bumper crowd.

A pleasing aspect from last week’s game was the performance of the reserves who I thought were outstanding; they came on and they all contributed. Sean Polwart came on to become Blues player 184. He had a great season debuting for Auckland in the ITM Cup last year and played a significant role in the New Zealand 20s team which earned him a Wider Training Group spot. He then forced his way into coming off the bench and acquitted himself very well. It was the same with Pauliasi Manu, James King and Chris Smylie. Sherwin Stowers after quite a long time out of the squad made that crucial last pass which created the try for Rene and obviously Lachie made a big impact coming on to replace Benson Stanley early in the piece. We’ve put quite a bit of work into what the reserves do coming off the bench and it was pleasing to see such a young group come on and do such a good job.

The game in Brisbane coincided with the annual Blues Sponsors trip where more than 40 sponsors came over to watch us play at Suncorp Stadium and enjoy some of the local hospitality as a thank you for their support of the team. It was great to catch up with the sponsors over in Brisbane and I think they all enjoyed themselves. After the game the boys caught up with them and despite the loss they were all very supportive and right behind the team which was good to see. I think the Blues franchise does a good job in bringing them all together as one team.

Onto focusing on the Stormers, despite their loss to the Chiefs last week they also made uncharacteristic mistakes in that second half. They were well in control of that game and they’d been playing well up until they went off the boil. They’ll be hurting on the back of two losses and we know what that’s like and how determined they’ll be so it’s going to be a really physical and tight clash this week so we need to make sure we’re well prepared and are ready for the challenge.

The Bulls game last year was probably the highlight of our season and then to not be able to back it up the following week against the Stormers, who came over from a loss from Perth, was particularly disappointing and I remember that game clearly. We made some crucial mistakes and that ended up costing us the game. You can’t afford to do that against a team like the Stormers so we’ve mentioned that and we’ve got to be really tight and disciplined in all that we do.

On the injury front, Jerome’s back and available this week which will provide a massive boost but on the flip side we lose Benson Stanley who has not overcome his head knock. Woody is still wearing a moon boot and will be back sometime after the bye, and likewise with Daniel Braid we’re hoping he’ll also make a return following the bye week.

The guys are once again out in the community this week, with many of them attending the Barbarians Primary School Rugby day at Ngataringa Bay on Sunday. There’s more than 40 schools attending and it should be a really fun day out if you’re in the area. I’m also looking forward to speaking at the National Young Leaders day, with 3000 school kids coming along. I’ve done it before and it’s a great organisation and something I really enjoy doing.

I’ve heard there’s a large contingent of Stormers fans heading along to the game on Friday night so it would be fabulous to see a huge turnout from the Blues faithful to drown them out. Remember to wave your Blues flags and make plenty of noise for the team, it really does make a difference.

Until next week,

Pat Lam
Blues Head Coach

R

RuckinGoodStats

Goal kickers #Blues McAlister 75% (36 from 48); Munro 78% (7/9). Stormers: Conje 69% (11/16)

Ref stats:Brown forced to award, per game average 19.8 pens (12.2 @ruck) 4.7 scrum resets & 3 scrum infringements

Ref stats:Brown 15 (1=most) from 16 refs to award scrum pens, 14th in scrum resets, 4th for lineout penalty

Blues on average (Super15 rank 1=most) per game 8.9 pens (12) 5.8@ruckmaul (7) 5.1 scrum resets(4) 8.6 hand errors (12)

Stormers on average (Super15 rank 1=most) per 10.6 pens (3) 5.5@ruck/maul (10) 5 scrum resets(5) 9.1 hand errors(9)

Follow me on twitter for stats throughout the game or I'll drop some more stats in here at halftime/fulltime if I can fit it in...

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Considering the weight difference in the packs, the Blues scrum looks pretty good...

How much of a difference does Kaino make to the backrow??

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
McAlister tries another chip kick from deep within his own half, it is charged down but bounces back into his arms fortuitously.

The Stormers are not at all comfortable chasing a lead. They have a very ordinary try scoring record, and are at their best when they can get in front and shut teams down with their strong defense, forcing their opponents to make errors in attack.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Lovely, patient try for the Stormers.

The Blues need to be careful. In the last ten minutes they have lost their structure, and are starting to play overtly cute, fancy-dan rugby. Against this team the Blues need to continue to play for territory, not lose their cool, and play smart, conservative rugby. They have the lead, they don't need to play like they are chasing the game.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I thought the Stormers were done 10 minutes go.

Argh, just missed an easy conversion.

19-18 after 62 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.