• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would have thought for something to be the norm it has to command half the numbers at a minimum but Hugh Jarse will be over here soon with all this commotion wanting to get us back on thread

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
That's the purpose of this thread isn't it? To discuss schools breaking the rules to which they've agreed, by actively targeting talented sportsmen as part of their enrolment strategy. If you don't want to discuss it, why visit this thread?

I would have thought it would be to discuss the pros and cons. Forums are a place to discuss opinions and peoples opinions are just that opinions by definition making no one right or wrong and as we know everyone has one and is entitled to one. This site no matter the thread is becoming largely dominated by the same opinion bashers.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I would have thought it would be to discuss the pros and cons. Forums are a place to discuss opinions and peoples opinions are just that opinions by definition making no one right or wrong and as we know everyone has one and is entitled to one. This site no matter the thread is becoming largely dominated by the same opinion bashers.

Discuss actually means to talk about both sides, which is why I used that word.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)

Err, Boof....one of the scholarship holders would probably point out the inconsistency in your logic. You can't simultaneously argue for a place to discuss opinions and also criticise people having opinions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
"To discuss schools breaking the rules to which they've agreed "

I am sure there is more to the discussion than who is breaking the rules.

So, you want to express an opinion about whether there should be rules or not? or have I misunderstood?
if so, i don't see what's stopping you.
I am prepared to say that (IMO) a comp, any comp, without these sort of rules is a matter for the participants, except to the extent that it harms the ability of rugby to appeal to a wider playing base by being concentrated in certain schools or schools from particular school systems.

tavytoo

Peter Burge (5)
think that after 4 years of some posters saying much the same negative comments over and over this thread should die away.
the rugby our kids play and aspire to is very different to the game we played at the same age and schools recruiting policies have changed too, to cater for a slightly different demographic to the one inside shoulder and quick hands and others hark back to. local parents are seek day and boarding places later due to cost plus the schools are also recruiting students from overseas . this means club land is now losing senior 16s+ players rather than (historically) from the 12-13s which leaves a bigger hole locally. please don"t shoot down those like Boof who want a less toxic debate.
the JGC has also proved that the selection pool is more diverse than before particularly with inter code selection where selectors are looking a talent with "a" ball not "the' ball plus on field fitness and agility . times are changing rapidly like it or not and sadly in this we are seeing the demise of gentlemenly behaviour and respect across society. Union is one of the last bastions of this and long may that continue.