• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How would you suggest they do this?
Corporal punishment? Fun in our day but the kids don't get it!!! ( This is ? Humour?)

The Courier-Mail will play a pretty pivotal role in exposing schools which are offending the new rules. When they shed light on Churchie's Islander importing a few years ago many called for Churchie to be removed from the GPS association, the pressure resulted in fewer trips to Samoa and the blokes in charge of the plan were given the boot by the school. It looked really bad for the association and twice as bad for Churchie, what many didn't realise is that the kids being brought over were being done so for academic reasons too and the process for scholarship selection was pretty harsh on kids who could hardly speak english. They thought alone of move away from their family for weeks at a time in Islander communities would be pretty daunting not to mention air fares were also at their own expense. I imagine the threat of banishment from the GPS association will be the trump card for other GPS schools, the problem will be trying to prove any wrongdoing.

IMO the new change will favour State High which is the only GPS school that doesn't charge absurd school fees and has all the ability to import any talent within the area without question. It also has the ability to favour Toowoomba who won't have to worry about Brisbane schools poaching regional players.

Time will tell.

B

Bantersaurus Rex

Has anyone here watched the flashy 5/8 Jay Wathen on the park recently for View? Officially im sure the boys in blue will claim that he is on an indigenous bursary, but i put it to you that given his unmatched skill and strength he is on a sporting scholarship. I don't want to go jumping to conclusions but to me it is all too convenient that Riverview has managed to find such an unbelievable talent. What are your thoughts on this matter?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Br you have an interesting collection of icons......calling for thoughts on a topic like this is a recipe for a flame out - I reckon there must be some people who know this boy's story and can enlighten us as to the innocent and serendipitous explanation.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Has anyone here watched the flashy 5/8 Jay Wathen on the park recently for View? Officially im sure the boys in blue will claim that he is on an indigenous bursary, but i put it to you that given his unmatched skill and strength he is on a sporting scholarship. I don't want to go jumping to conclusions but to me it is all too convenient that Riverview has managed to find such an unbelievable talent. What are your thoughts on this matter?

I haven't seen him play but View give out 1-2 Indigenous bursaries every year and rarely have the kids been good at sport. The last indigenous kid to play 1st's Rugby as far as I can recall was Willie Gordon in 1996/97 (who later went on to play for the Brumbies). If their intention was to buy indigenous footballers, you would think that you would see more than one indigenous kid every 15 years in the first XV...

I

International Badboy

Jay Wrathen is not good at footy this is one of his mates trying to stir the pot

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Sorry Providence, where is the 'clear' evidence that they all import? View and Shore have clean records when it comes to importing. This has already been discussed to death on this forum...
-----------------

No clean record Joe Mac. Hosea Vaka'uta from View playing under 16 is on scholarship. Good on you View.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
-----------------

No clean record Joe Mac. Hosea Vaka'uta from View playing under 16 is on scholarship. Good on you View.
I find it more than amusing that New supporters want to make a big issue over 1 kid.
List the New 1st xv and their start dates with the school, if that is not embarrassing enough then do it for the 2's as well. I understand that many recruited have failed muster and were replaced by a newer draft.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
I find it more than amusing that New supporters want to make a big issue over 1 kid.
-----------------------
I like to watch - I totally support any schools who have compassion towards under-priviledge kids by offering them scholarship. Finally View see there's a need to help the Pacific Islander kids. Need more than just 1 mate and I can tell you - they appreciated it very much.

I

International Badboy

there is no issue with the kids, this issue comes out all the time parents and people will complain about how its giving under privileged kids a good education. I whole heartedly agree with the fact that they are, I'm sure Newington is 10x better than the best school in Tonga. the fact remain's schools are not allowed to do it. when they are allowed I will support it whole heartedly

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well, he must have been a stand-out in under elevens for them to award their first ever rugby scholarship to kid
------------------------------------------
The scholarship is not just to play rugby. He is there to study because he's got the ability to do well academicly. There's no such thing as 'rugby scholarship'. The reason why we put our kids in school to study as their first priority. Sport is just part of it.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
------------------------------------------
The scholarship is not just to play rugby. He is there to study because he's got the ability to do well academicly. There's no such thing as 'rugby scholarship'. The reason why we put our kids in school to study as their first priority. Sport is just part of it.

It should be added that exposure to certain GPS schools does seem to give both students and teachers a leg up when it comes to gaining internships at Silverwater or certain Eastern European establishments.