• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Some of the excuses contributed here are just laughable.

So your school doesn't offer scholarships for sport because;
- they aren't called sporting scholarships by your school so they mustn't be sporting scholarships
- they are funded by sources other than 'the school'...old boys, benefactors, special funds etc
- 110kg 16yr old props develop a gift for playing the flute or abstract painting

Adding to this you provide gyms that the Wallabies envy, employ coaches on salaries that professional rugby clubs can't afford, bring in ex and current internationals as consultants and provide amazing facilities like pools and world class change rooms.

Good luck to the kids who benefit from all of this, but denial is lost in the semantics.

Which schools are you talking about?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Why can't these offending schools self regulate Joe Mac, it's good enough for golfers?
It's not very becoming for institutions that try and carry off a 'holier than thou' pretence.

Its very hard to follow you when you are being so cryptic. Spit it out, who are we talking about?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Its very hard to follow you when you are being so cryptic. Spit it out, who are we talking about?
Go to the corner of George and King Streets. Walk 20m NNE and you'll find a public telephone booth. Go inside and underneath the shelf there's a mobile phone inside a black plastic bag. Turn it on and wait for my call.

Artbeet

Frank Nicholson (4)
Go to the corner of George and King Streets. Walk 20m NNE and you'll find a public telephone booth. Go inside and underneath the shelf there's a mobile phone inside a black plastic bag. Turn it on and wait for my call.

The one,despite the name ,is not so clever. Even alleged to be offering players from the lower side of the Hill financial inducements.There seems to be no shame. Maybe working on their own program should be a priority if they have any confidence in their own ability. No wonder NSW is dealing with the legacy now, poison in the past.

Tom Burke

Bob McCowan (2)
I've just been checking out the Old Ignatians' Union website. 90 boys - 15 per year - on "bursaries" at a cost of nearly $2 million per year.

Of course they are all merit based with no good sportsmen amongst them !!

And check out the St. Josephs Indigenous Fund ... a $6 million endowment and a production line of champion sportsmen right across he spectrum over the last decade .. but of course there are no sporting scholarships there - it's just good coincidence !!

Gotta love the good hearted altruism of our catholic brethren.

As far as St. Joseph's go, their first Indigenous boy to play in the 1st XV was Kurtley Beale, who had attended the college since year 7, along with any other Indigenous boys to play in the 1st XV. By no means are these boys 'selected' to attend a school such as St. Joseph's purely because they can play footy. Rather, they are offered a chance to be groomed into upstanding citizens of todays society and given the chance to one day possibly become successful in life out side of the sporting arena. I believe this is evidenced with the current 1st XV at St. Joseph's which has no Indigenous boys, and their standout Indigenous athlete was expelled last year, as the college felt they could no longer help this boys become an upstanding citizen. If that doesn't express the nature of their Indigenous Program, then I don't know what does.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
As far as St. Joseph's go, their first Indigenous boy to play in the 1st XV was Kurtley Beale, who had attended the college since year 7, along with any other Indigenous boys to play in the 1st XV. By no means are these boys 'selected' to attend a school such as St. Joseph's purely because they can play footy. Rather, they are offered a chance to be groomed into upstanding citizens of todays society and given the chance to one day possibly become successful in life out side of the sporting arena. I believe this is evidenced with the current 1st XV at St. Joseph's which has no Indigenous boys, and their standout Indigenous athlete was expelled last year, as the college felt they could no longer help this boys become an upstanding citizen. If that doesn't express the nature of their Indigenous Program, then I don't know what does.

Kurtley Beale was headhunted from Shalvey (Mt Druitt) due to his gifted abilty to play rugby league in the local Penrith comp not for his academic record. His uncle (guardian, at the time) has told this story numerous times to the Sydney media. Behave and don't tell porkies.

Tom Burke

Bob McCowan (2)
Kurtley Beale was headhunted from Shalvey (Mt Druitt) due to his gifted abilty to play rugby league in the local Penrith comp not for his academic record. His uncle (guardian, at the time) has told this story numerous times to the Sydney media. Behave and don't tell porkies.

I have not stated that Kurtley was given a scholarship based on academic ability, and doubt that what you have said is most likely true, however, to give out a scholarship to a 10-11 year old boy due to his ability in playing rugby league, and believing that in 5 years time he would be competing in his 3 year of 1st XV competition, and a future wallaby, is a big call.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
I have not stated that Kurtley was given a scholarship based on academic ability, and doubt that what you have said is most likely true, however, to give out a scholarship to a 10-11 year old boy due to his ability in playing rugby league, and believing that in 5 years time he would be competing in his 3 year of 1st XV competition, and a future wallaby, is a big call.

Don't get me wrong Tom, I applaud Joey's providing indigenous scholarships but in Kurtley's case it was due to his football ability. A joey's representative actually knocked on Kurtley uncle's front door, identified himself and outlaid a plan to see Kurtley as a future wallaby. Undoubtly, a big call but one that helped Kurtley not only receive a prestigous education but helped Joey's in the GPS title chases.

The fact you identified an indigenous "athletic" scholarship holder was expelled last year indicates that Joey's are still utilising these scholarships for dual purposes as was the case for Kurtley.

Question: Did Joey's win any GPS titles when Kurtley made their 1st side (serious question, as I'm not a GPSer)?

Tom Burke

Bob McCowan (2)
[quote="Question: Did Joey's win any GPS titles when Kurtley made their 1st side (serious question, as I'm not a GPSer)?[/quote]

In the three years that Kurtley played in the 1st XV, St Joseph's were undefeated champions in 2004 and 2005, and joint premiers in 2006. He is by far one of the most successful, if not the most successful, players in the history of rugby at St Joseph's College.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
[quote="Question: Did Joey's win any GPS titles when Kurtley made their 1st side (serious question, as I'm not a GPSer)?

In the three years that Kurtley played in the 1st XV, St Joseph's were undefeated champions in 2004 and 2005, and joint premiers in 2006. He is by far one of the most successful, if not the most successful, players in the history of rugby at St Joseph's College.[/quote]

I have been told by experts that he was the best schoolboy rugby player, atleast in modern times. I, therefore, rest my case - Joeys do recruit or have recruited for the purpose of success on their sport fields: which I believe is outlawed by GPS by-laws. I have no hestiation in stating that Newington have clearly taken the lead in this field of endeavour.

AusBoyRugby

Stan Wickham (3)
I feel that people get the wrong perception across QLD about GPS schools such as Nudgee College, TSS and Churchie. Many think that schools like these "Import" students to play rugby for just their senior year at the school. This defiantly is not the case. Boys in the Churchie Firsts have been at the school since Primary School. There have been articles about Nudgee College and how they are full of scholarships. Whilst this may be the case students in the firsts like Fitzgerald and Shipperley are said to be on academic scholarships. Gregory Terrace for years has made excuses about other GPS schools importing and not being "Home Grown". I think the constant fighting over schools and their scholarships is of nobodys concern and that each GPS school should play GPS Competition to their finest level

P

phillipbmf

Ship and Fitz are home grown ..local catholic primary school..grade five to seven at St pats, went to Nudgee grade eight. No scholarships I am aware of and I'm Henry's dad.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I feel that people get the wrong perception across QLD about GPS schools such as Nudgee College, TSS and Churchie.
edited.....
I think the constant fighting over schools and their scholarships is of nobodys concern and that each GPS school should play GPS Competition to their finest level
ABR, it should be the concern and responsibility of each school's Headmaster to ensure that whatever rules apply on sporting scholarships, are in fact applied, whether in Sydney, Brisbane of wherever.
Ship = Captain, School = Headmaster.
If they don't police the sporting scholarship policy, it can then become anybody's concern, and you leave your school open for deserved criticism.
Again, it's certainly not all schools, but one is too many.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As the result of watching the handpicked Newington side play today and demolish Grammar the consequence of recruitment are clear to me now:
  • most of the room for randomness in the Sydney GPS comp has been eliminated by recruitment BUT Shore's victory over Kings is a victory for maintaining the randomness of school sport;
  • the schools who recruit run the risk of destroying the very school system whose premiership they are trying to win - I am led to believe this may already have started.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
St Edmunds ruined the Canberra comp by recruitment > domination of the comp. Now that they have stopped it is an even playing field with all the teams having good competitive games.
Trinity have tried the same thing in CAS but don't seem to be doing well although they thumped Cranbrook today in the 1sts but lost the 2nds and the 16s both of which are more of a measure of the home grown talent.

T

The Blindside

As the result of watching the handpicked Newington side play today and demolish Grammar .....

By handpicked I take it you are referring to boys being picked from the ever increasing pool of home grown talent at Newington.

The urban myth that "everyone knows Newington imports" is quite amusing considering:

Riverview Old Boys Bursaries
Joeys $6 Million Indigenous Fund
Kings country U15 recuiting
Scots Talented Athlete program
Shore Old Boys "Friends of Rugby"