• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Does non Toyota Cup player school fees come under Toyota cup salary cap?

IIRC Keleti Vaniquolo also attended New with fees paid by Tigers

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Kindly name the six boys .... would love to know who they are ?

Will Ahosivi was called an import on this site ... very informed call considering his father is a Uniting Church minister and pays the same fees as all uniting Church ministers.

But let not let little things like facts ruin a good tale .. because everyone knows Newington imports
Vasillis

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Sounds good, except Toyota Cup has a salary cap $250k for top 20 players.
They are paying $25k odd a year at the school?
Who pays $50k ish for 2 years to warehouse kid to play in a comp where the average wage in that comp is $10k?

They are on junior contracts with their league football clubs (easts and parramatta); therefore around 5k plus bonus regarding State and National rep football. There is no way Easts or Parramatta are paying their fees at Newington. They are on school scholarships, there is no agrument on that. The GPS schools should just admit they import and the best importer probably wins on the rugby schools and their supporters should not offer up pitiful excuses. The only two schools playing under so called 'no import' rule are High and Grammar, therefore the only game that matters is High v Grammar - the winner is the GPS Champion at rugby.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Does non Toyota Cup player school fees come under Toyota cup salary cap?

IIRC Keleti Vaniquolo also attended New with fees paid by Tigers

That is 10% of their junior (Harold Matts, SG Ball and Toyota Cup) rep cap, I personally find that hard to believe.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They are on junior contracts with their league football clubs (easts and parramatta); therefore around 5k plus bonus regarding State and National rep football. There is no way Easts or Parramatta are paying their fees at Newington. They are on school scholarships, there is no agrument on that. The GPS schools should just admit they import and the best importer probably wins on the rugby schools and their supporters should not offer up pitiful excuses. The only two schools playing under so called 'no import' rule are High and Grammar, therefore the only game that matters is High v Grammar - the winner is the GPS Champion at rugby.
I think Shore might dispute that Grammar and High are the only schools playing by the rules.
It may as well be open slather - but that will be the end of the GPS rugby system since no school like Grammar can put its random players up against hand picked rugby mercenaries who are 50% bigger/stronger/faster/heavier. And what would be the point?
In the 100+ years of GPS rugby in Sydney every premiership team could have been improved upon if the school had taken a deliberate and considered decision to find the best player in a position or, as is now the case, the best players.
So winning a comp with handpicked players proves nothing: its a hollow victory.
The demise of GPS rugby would suit me fine: Australian rugby cannot continue on the basis that the GPS and other school systems will produce their elite players - this is a ridiculous anochronism.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
I stand corrected. Pretty poor form by the DIMA in some respects, but according to the rules they were right to act the way they did.

Is compliance to bureaucratic rules morally correct though?

Vaingalo still went to Tigers Toyata Cup after Newington.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The point being HJ, that despite all the protestations, here is proof that this School provides Scholarships to talented athletes.
I could list several current students that claim (and their parents claim) that they were approached and offered Scholarships by this School.
Not one but several.
They can all play Rugby too.........

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some would argue given the circumstances (parents being deported) that what the school did was well within their Christian mission.

Pity that the Schools Christian charity does not get extended to all the unfortunate kids of parents held in immigration detention.

This is probably better for the politics thread not the scholarship thread though.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Plenty of ex-Somali refugees at St Stannies (ISA).

Not sure who is paying the fees, but IIRC one of the Somali boys is either 1st XV or fringe 1st XV.

Bloody well done to the Bathurst boys.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Plenty of ex-Somali refugees at St Stannies (ISA).

Not sure who is paying the fees, but IIRC one of the Somali boys is either 1st XV or fringe 1st XV.

Bloody well done to the Bathurst boys.
I noticed that there were many kids who, for obvious reasons, appeared to come from that neck of the woods playing for Stannies - good athletes with, thankfully for my team, not a huge amount of rugby knowledge.
Confident they are not on "rugby scholarships" but, whatever it be, good luck to them and well done to the school....

RUGBYGIRL11

Peter Burge (5)
The point being HJ, that despite all the protestations, here is proof that this School provides Scholarships to talented athletes.
I could list several current students that claim (and their parents claim) that they were approached and offered Scholarships by this School.
Not one but several.
They can all play Rugby too...

Blindside is right about this. Everyone has stories about this kid or that kid who who were offered scholarships by New. Time to put up or shut up and name the names.
Now let's talk about Riverview and the 200 boys on Old Boys "bursaries" - can anyone confirm the boys in View 1sts who are on these bursaries. My spies tell me that Whitely and Dempsey are two of the recipients.
I understand that Stewart at Scots and Foketi at Kings are also on sports scholarships.

RUGBYGIRL11

Peter Burge (5)
Newington was first established as a school for the Methodist minister's kids. Will was first went to St. Edmunds College - ACT in full fees. His dad moved to another parish in Sydney as their minister (Uniting Church) and that's why he's now at Newington (Uniting Church School). To say that he is an "import" is totally wrong.

Well said. Good to see someone other than Blindside basing comments on facts.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Blindside is right about this. Everyone has stories about this kid or that kid who who were offered scholarships by New. Time to put up or shut up and name the names.
Now let's talk about Riverview and the 200 boys on Old Boys "bursaries" - can anyone confirm the boys in View 1sts who are on these bursaries. My spies tell me that Whitely and Dempsey are two of the recipients.
I understand that Stewart at Scots and Foketi at Kings are also on sports scholarships.

You might do better if you read the posts (ref: 836); names have been named and this is only a few.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Haha. I guess I have less emotional investment in this thread than you guys because to me that's funny.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Haha. I guess I have less emotional investment in this thread than you guys because to me that's funny.

As can be gathered to even the most casual observer, Rugby and "Triangle" Scholarships is a little bit of an emotive topic in NSW Schools rugby.

Perhaps enForcer would care to comment if it is an issue in Vic Schools (St Kevins, Grammar etc). Does it happen there? If so is it against the "rules" or is it open and transparent?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
As can be gathered to even the most casual observer, Rugby and "Triangle" Scholarships is a little bit of an emotive topic in NSW Schools rugby.

Perhaps enForcer would care to comment if it is an issue in Vic Schools (St Kevins, Grammar etc). Does it happen there? If so is it against the "rules" or is it open and transparent?

I don't think it's against the rules because it was never an issue, but it's becoming one. We have one school that many say has 8 scholarships but it's probably closer to 6, one school with 2 or 3, and there are probably 3 or 4 other schools that occasionally have a scholarship if it circumstantially comes about. Needless to say the ladder reflects this most years and does currently.

Only 1 school has won the league in the last 7 years without scholarships and the scholarship heavy schools responded to this by getting more scholarships. Often they rationalise by saying the boys excel in a number of disciplines but usually it's simply the case of finding a good rugby player, then hoping he plays an instrument and isn't failing school. The usual joke is they are on "wood-work scholarships".

A poor point with our scholarship system is generally the schools get these players from the rugby clubs around Victoria. Victoria obviously has a comparatively small talent pool and shuffling talent around is robbing Peter to pay Paul (not to mention doesn't benefit the rep teams with more quality players to choose from). I'd MUCH rather see them getting creative and look to places like Vic rugby-league, Country NSW/Qld, NT, SA, or even Tas. If you have the chance to give scholarships you can get more creative then just looking at the Vic U14/16 roster from the previous year.

It's an odd system but I'm not involved in it all.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The usual joke is they are on "wood-work scholarships".

Its odd given Melbourne's more cultural traditions that your schools should offer wood work scholarships while ours are offering scholarships in the arts, in particular the art of playing the triangle.
On a serious note - and this blurs the line I like to run - some of these scholarships in NSW are apparently termed "leadership" scholarships...funny that the recipients are seldom made captain!

Status
Not open for further replies.