• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Brian, with great respect, if you read my posts on this issue you will note that I have not once denied the assertion that certain GPS schools chase rugby talent - all I have sought to show is that this pursuit of talent isn't just limited to the the schools most accused of it. As regards the sizable contributions, the request made to my Joeys friend was made within the last 2 years.

There's only one person at Joeys who has provided rugby players with scholarships and im sure many of you know who he is, and even he has only handed out 3 and all 3 boys deserved one. If you're willing to fund a boys education because you believe the school is what he needs both academically and rugby wise then good on you and if the school or old boys union aren't involved then i would not count that as 'importing'. PS i don't think your mates donation would have gone towards rugby, probably a bit of a trick to gain funding for the new Arts & Tech building.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
There's only one person at Joeys who has provided rugby players with scholarships and im sure many of you know who he is, and even he has only handed out 3 and all 3 boys deserved one. If you're willing to fund a boys education because you believe the school is what he needs both academically and rugby wise then good on you and if the school or old boys union aren't involved then i would not count that as 'importing'. PS i don't think your mates donation would have gone towards rugby, probably a bit of a trick to gain funding for the new Arts & Tech building.

OMG!!! Finally an admission of sorts in respect to Joeys - but considered acceptable because it wasn't from the school despite the advantage it gave the school?

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
OMG!!! Finally an admission of sorts in respect to Joeys - but considered acceptable because it wasn't from the school despite the advantage it gave the school?

These boys all started in year 7 by the way. I know of something similar at Riverview, a long time coach realised a boy had great potential but was probably going to end up in the wrong crowd and waste his talent. The coach could afford too fund the boys schooling and as an old boy choose to send him to View in year 7. Anyone who knows the situation wouldn't count it as importing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:

No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.

(my bold)
Source AAGPS website

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In the light of these principles, the GPS Headmasters affirm the following code of practice:

No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.

(my bold)
Source AAGPS website

As Larry David would say:
"Pretty pretty broad"

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
The next couple of weeks will probably indicate who has landed where as the stories of talented new arrivals travel home!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)

You need to learn your grammar - the subject of teh sentence was...

• Sentence 1 - "shall be offered by any member school" - NOT CONTRAVENED if the offer comes from an external sources, person or body.

• Sentence 2 - "shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school" - NOT CONTRAVENED proving that reliance on random acts of kindness by external parties constituted part of their strategy - too funny!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You need to learn your grammar - the subject of teh sentence was.

• Sentence 1 - "shall be offered by any member school" - NOT CONTRAVENED if the offer comes from an external sources, person or body.

• Sentence 2 - "shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school" - NOT CONTRAVENED proving that reliance on random acts of kindness by external parties constituted part of their strategy - too funny!

"direct, disguised or at arms length" is the test. "such as" indicates "sporting scholarships" are being used as an example.
There are actually 2 things prohibited by this statement and you have only addressed yourself to one of them, being the second, the "enrolment strategy".
The first of them is a blanket prohibition on an inducement being offered. By reason of the inclusion of "direct, disguised or at arms length" the source of the inducement is irrelevant.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You need to learn your grammar - the subject of teh sentence was.

If you're going to criticise people for grammar, you might as well check your own spelling before posting.

Also, grammatically speaking, both sentences are clumsy in that they are in the passive rather that the active voice, but I didn't write them, I merely copied them from the AAGPS website. In the active voice they would say something like:

Members schools shall not offer inducements such as sporting scholarships whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length.

The subject of the sentence is "Member schools" the verb is "shall not offer" (the future tense of the verb to offer in the negative) and the object of the sentence is "inducements".

I think that you might be confusing grammar with meaning, which is ok, unless you are accusing someone of bad grammar.

Inside Shoulder has correctly pointed out the meaning of both sentences.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm very surprised that 2 weeks has about elapsed without a post being made on this thread!! There must be no new arrivals to talk about ;)

No arrivals, but I have heard about a departure. A boy who went to Newington last year in Year 9 has returned to his former school at St Augustine's. State level player and has given up the scholarship. Not sure of any further details.

K

kbw

This is like NRL fans talking about salary cap breaches.

My team (GPS school) doesn't breach the salary cap (give sporting scholarships) but every other team (GPS school) is a dirty filthy rotten cheat and deals under the table (relies on sporting scholarships) for any success.

When in reality they are all doing it, but some people just plain can't admit it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is like NRL fans talking about salary cap breaches.

My team (GPS school) doesn't breach the salary cap (give sporting scholarships) but every other team (GPS school) is a dirty filthy rotten cheat and deals under the table (relies on sporting scholarships) for any success.

When in reality they are all doing it, but some people just plain can't admit it.

Do you really believe that Grammar and High are giving sporting scholarships?

High enrolments are governed by the selective schools exam, there are no fees to speak of and there results on the rugby field suggest that any alleged sporting scholarship programme has not resulted in any success.

Grammar have been going backwards in terms of sport in general and rugby in particular for some time. Again, if they have been running a sporting scholarship programme as suggested, it has been a complete disaster.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/sydney-gps-2013.9657/page-38#post-448742
GPSrow
Which ones started in year 7?
Which ones started after the U16 championships?

looks a lot more speed in year group 'come ins' than last year i must say....
1. George Prassas (started in year 9)
2. Campbell Shearer / Tim Lee (both started in years 7)
3. Vuni Teaupa-Fifita (started in year 9 or 10)
4.Anthony Vasilis (started in year 10)
5. Tom Meaney (started in year 7)
6. David Morris (started in year 11) (pathways)
7. Jordan Roods (year 7) Stuart Mill (year 10)
8. Lachie Cannell (started in year 11) (pathways)
9. Lachlan Anderson (started in year 7)
10. Joey Lussick (started in year 9)
11. Tanne Milne (started in year 10)
12. Ellis Abraham (started in year 9)
13. Tepai Meoroa (started in year 9)
14. Michael Kambas/Liam o'connor (doubt they will pick them, but who knows (both started in year 7)
15.Josh Mitchell Year 12 (started in year 7)

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
looks a lot more speed in year group 'come ins' than last year i must say..
1. George Prassas (started in year 9)
2. Campbell Shearer / Tim Lee (both started in years 7)
3. Vuni Teaupa-Fifita (started in year 9 or 10)
4.Anthony Vasilis (started in year 10)
5. Tom Meaney (started in year 7)
6. David Morris (started in year 11) (pathways)
7. Jordan Roods (year 7) Stuart Mill (year 10)
8. Lachie Cannell (started in year 11) (pathways)
9. Lachlan Anderson (started in year 7)
10. Joey Lussick (started in year 9)
11. Tanne Milne (started in year 10)
12. Ellis Abraham (started in year 9)
13. Tepai Meoroa (started in year 9)
14. Michael Kambas/Liam o'connor (doubt they will pick them, but who knows (both started in year 7)
15.Josh Mitchell Year 12 (started in year 7)
Lots of "Home Grown" Talent here Inside Shoulder. ;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lots of "Home Grown" Talent here Inside Shoulder. ;)

We all come from somewhere but where we presently are may not be home.

well to be fair, Newington does branch off into even the wider suburbs of Sydney. Im pretty sure if the First XV were all from stanmore, they would all be wearing TN's, smoking the durries and wanting to play for newtown.

yeah...and what are the chances you'd find that much talent in one suburb?