• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Kenny, for the life of me I have not seen a more narrow minded narcissitic view taken. I'm alright Jack, we'll freight in a team, call them our own, grease a few more misguided old boys into paying these kids to stay at school. Yes, read that as a given. This in turn will just get little Johnny or Paul in prep just going and playing another sport as they know that they will just get shuffled into the IV's and maybe be tackling bags at training if they stay playing Rugby.
What a shame for these young lads Kenny for a few to live vicariously through their alma mater.
Seems to me the best support Newington rugby gets is from St Augustine's scouts and coaching staff.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
bogans dont get that you cant buy class, but a few of the lads getting these opportunities, frm what I have seen, demonstrate a bit more class than their grasping parents

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
And your solution would be?
Gee Whiz. Are you giving me an opportunity to state what has been the bloomin' obvious? Thank you and by the way, love the show too Ken.

A. Stop importing. EVERYONE! Yes there are some methodist kiddies that need assistance, not entire townships. Stop it now. Same goes for affluent North shore/Central Coast/Illawarra kids. They are not too bad off at their respective private schools guys.
B. try spending this money on our own backyard first. Aboriginal, Single parent, disadvantaged whatever, but how about getting our own shit together? Heaven knows there just might be a couple of kids that could make a difference not only on the footy fields but in our future lives.
C. If you do freight some one in on a scholarship, don't deny it!!! It really shits me on this about how "my school" doesn't do it and everyone else does, andwhen I see one person stand and pontificate about others when that school offered a position to my son. Declare it or stop it!
D. To be continued. I knew l shouldn't have logged on to play Aussie town trivia. Shit.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Gee Whiz. Are you giving me an opportunity to state what has been the bloomin' obvious? Thank you and by the way, love the show too Ken.

A. Stop importing. EVERYONE! Yes there are some methodist kiddies that need assistance, not entire townships. Stop it now. Same goes for affluent North shore/Central Coast/Illawarra kids. They are not too bad off at their respective private schools guys.
B. try spending this money on our own backyard first. Aboriginal, Single parent, disadvantaged whatever, but how about getting our own shit together? Heaven knows there just might be a couple of kids that could make a difference not only on the footy fields but in our future lives.
C. If you do freight some one in on a scholarship, don't deny it!!! It really shits me on this about how "my school" doesn't do it and everyone else does, andwhen I see one person stand and pontificate about others when that school offered a position to my son. Declare it or stop it!
D. To be continued. I knew l shouldn't have logged on to play Aussie town trivia. Shit.

Like your comments. It is my belief that schools and any official old boys union should disclose all scholarships they hand out, and who holds them in their annual reports. It is good governance and shows who and what is being subsidies by full fee paying parents or old boys membership fees and what benefit to wider society is being gained.

However the 'patrons' of recently 'attracted' rugby talent I believe would fall outside of this. It's something that will never be openly disclosed as these are private individuals who are spending their own money how they want to.

I have no doubt that these private individuals are known to their school community.

What will bring change is when full fee paying parents exert pressure by say things have gone too far, there is too much emphasis on rugby not enough support in other areas etc

I agree with you that what really rubs me up the wrong way is those in denial. Newington are not the first to do it, and if they stop 'attracting' rugby talent the issue will not magically go away for the GPS as some people believe.

I don't use the word scholarship as some people try to claim the moral high ground around the technical definitions of scholarship. Support can come in many forms and avoid scrutiny, a bit like tax evasion.

beserker

Herbert Moran (7)
N
Lets not kid ourselves, these schools don't only "attract" rugby talent, its fairly common knowledge they also bring in Water polo and basketball players..cricket and swimming, probably them as well.
Doubt it. Pretty much a rugby phenomenon. Might move in to other sports tho. if it works in rugby. Then poaching coaches is next. Arguments for scholarships both sides. My boy's a hooker but he only has one prop. Be best if everything open. Ask for Saturday Rugby programmes to list 1s 2s and 3s, and give the player history at school. Make school rugby a better place.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
N
Doubt it. Pretty much a rugby phenomenon. Might move in to other sports tho. if it works in rugby. Then poaching coaches is next. Arguments for scholarships both sides. My boy's a hooker but he only has one prop. Be best if everything open. Ask for Saturday Rugby programmes to list 1s 2s and 3s, and give the player history at school. Make school rugby a better place.

I can name atleast 3 players from Newingtons championship waterpolo team who are on scholarships. I can also name atleast another 2 from rival schools who were offered one.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
N
Its already also happening in a very limited way in cricket.
Rowing is more problematic because, frankly, its hard to find any males outside the GPS rowing at 16. But, since St Augustines row I guess they will be raided for any talent they produce.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
In what way greater good?

Well 1 GPS premiership in rugby, a 3rd place in the the 4th IV race at the HOTR (augies boy was rowing in it) and a video technician coming by the name of Sam Evans on his Youtube channel, done the school proud with his rowing/rugby/swimming film videos, I'm sure his videos attract a lot more attention than the ads placed in the cinemas by new.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well 1 GPS premiership in rugby, a 3rd place in the the 4th IV race at the HOTR (augies boy was rowing in it) and a video technician coming by the name of Sam Evans on his Youtube channel, done the school proud with his rowing/rugby/swimming film videos, I'm sure his videos attract a lot more attention than the ads placed in the cinemas by new.
Thats what I thought you meant.
Has does plundering a "new" rugby school help the "greater good" of rugby?
It only further narrows the base when we need a broader base.
As long as the NOBS are happy I guess that's all that matters.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
We've seen th aagps circle the wagons this year two rounds and less opportunity to play trials outside of the association. HOTR possibly another opportunity to keep pretending in the absence of plebs. Given the strength of competition in rugby or rowing I'm not sure that those that left the brookvale school would have had the same opportunities without doing so

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We've seen th aagps circle the wagons this year two rounds and less opportunity to play trials outside of the association. HOTR possibly another opportunity to keep pretending in the absence of plebs. Given the strength of competition in rugby or rowing I'm not sure that those that left the brookvale school would have had the same opportunities without doing so
Auggies had an oz schoolboy last year so that does not compute

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Or they could just spend the time and effort coaching the kids that they have. New get smashed in the Prep IPSHA competition and in 13s and 14s. Considering they get about half their Year 7 from their 2 Prep schools, you'd think they'd be coaching those kids intensively in skills etc. They seem to have plenty of elite coaches, and Prep and Year 7 train during school hours, when the other boys are in lessons - so no conflict of times.

They might just find that they don't really need all those imports/recruits/insert euphamism.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I worked at Joeys and have intimate knowledge of what you claim. The boys were given bursarys these are awarded on a number of factors by the foundation and NOT an individual. Even the boss can't fly over their heads. To receive one takes a long list of requirements that ALL must be meet. Having worked there now I know they don't hand out "Booster Support" like three GPS schools do. (Support groups at these schools raise funds to pay for these students. School is not out of pocket) They don't have the money as Joeys don't invite this behavior. Simple.

Surely the question of where the money came from is secondary. The issue is whether or not they are being brought to the school because of their rugby prowess. If so, it doesn't matter whether the fees are paid for by some anonymous individual who "is well known to some" or by a support group or from a bursary fund.

Trying to take the moral high ground by diverting attention to the origins of the money is really a smokescreen.

I'd suggest that there are 5 GPS schools, who to some extent bring boys to the school primarily because of their rugby prowess. Some do it more than others and some are more subtle than others, but let's not be naive.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Surely the question of where the money came from is secondary. The issue is whether or not they are being brought to the school because of their rugby prowess. If so, it doesn't matter whether the fees are paid for by some anonymous individual who "is well known to some" or by a support group or from a bursary fund.

Trying to take the moral high ground by diverting attention to the origins of the money is really a smokescreen.

I'd suggest that there are 5 GPS schools, who to some extent bring boys to the school primarily because of their rugby prowess. Some do it more than others and some are more subtle than others, but let's not be naive.

And to continue the theme it's not only the GPS schools that do it! Some of the CAS & ISA schools indulge in the practice too.

Gristlechewer

Charlie Fox (21)
N

Cricket too. You have one boy whos fees are being paid for by a " benevolent" sponsor. Don't be so blind as to think that Rugby is the only sport affected by philanthropic organisations.