• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
On a positive note, I understand that Tim Rapp at Newington has instituted additional skills sessions encompassing, scrums, kicking, half-back passing and hookers throwing before school. Apparently this is open to all students from 13s to opens, with each age group allocated a scrum day and days allocated to kicking, halves/hookers where all ages are together. If they keep this up, they might not need to look elsewhere for talent.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
On a positive note, I understand that Tim Rapp at Newington has instituted additional skills sessions encompassing, scrums, kicking, half-back passing and hookers throwing before school. Apparently this is open to all students from 13s to opens, with each age group allocated a scrum day and days allocated to kicking, halves/hookers where all ages are together. If they keep this up, they might not need to look elsewhere for talent.

Finally this has been done. I remember my days at newington rugby training were running up johnson bank countless amounts of times still we were drained of enthusiasm for the sport. Then when in year 12 (made the 3rd XV) I learnt for the first time how to scrum properly (new had purchased its first srcumtech machine that year).

Still hadn't won a game against the big 3 (joeys, view and kings) since my first games in year 7, the only thing that would get me to play was knowing if we were versing grammar, scots, shore or high that season as we knew it would either be a close game or a thrashing against them.

Good on ya rappy, finally well-paid and skilled coaches are being bought to new and boys are being taught the fundamental skills of rugby from years 7 and up. it will be great to see how this goes over the next couple of years!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Still hadn't won a game against the big 3 (joeys, view and kings) since my first games in year 7, the only thing that would get me to play was knowing if we were versing grammar, scots, shore or high that season as we knew it would either be a close game or a thrashing against them.

That bloody versing again.
Let me tell you that in the Grammar 1st XV I beat 2 of those "big 3" + Newington.
Short memory.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am confused, isn't this the thread about Sporting Scholarships?
Back on track - why would Scots & Newington have WaterPolo scholarships, when its not even a full AAGPS sport? Its hardly a sport that's going to lead you to the promised land and give you a fantastic career!?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am confused, isn't this the thread about Sporting Scholarships?
Back on track - why would Scots & Newington have WaterPolo scholarships, when its not even a full AAGPS sport? Its hardly a sport that's going to lead you to the promised land and give you a fantastic career!?
Its big in CIS and Europe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Any explanations for 2 gifted rugby boys, year 9, suddenly appearing at St Joseph's College in under 14's?
There is one explanation.

Similar to the explanation that 2 former St Augustines students who moved to Alos 2 years ago have suddenly been selected in the NSW CIS Water Polo team. Who'd have thought??

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Similar to the explanation that 2 former St Augustines students who moved to Alos 2 years ago have suddenly been selected in the NSW CIS Water Polo team. Who'd have thought??
You're too quick - i thought about putting "acceptable" before explanations.
As my record shows and until I heard this piece of news I had assumed SJC was above this sort behaviour.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I did too once, but no longer.

Cue CTPE :)
Is there any one above this sort of behaviour? If they think it will add to their sporting image (and persuade a few more people to enrol) and they are highly competitive in the sporting field, then they are not above "this sort of behaviour".

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)

If its who i think it is... its hardly suddenly considering both have played for NSW proper for years and are current Australian reps...which i guess "may " enhance your point.
So why dont we all just stop pretending and applaud the kids for their hard work and reward for such hard work. Most of the so called villains here...being the kids that move...have worked and continue to work their butts off to get to where THEY want to be.