• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
Gents, I will leave them nameless but there are only 2 boys in this week's New 1st XV that have started in year 7 for Newington and only 1 not on scholarship (JM). Is it a shame? or is it just a coincidence?

It's good to see that these two players of which my nephew knows personally, have come through the ranks and has played consistent rugby 13A's, 14A's 15A's rugby and so on, to now progress to one of the most controversial 1st XV's Newington and the GPS competition has seen since in the infamous 1993 Scots 1st XV.

Dont know whether it a shame, a coincidence or otherwise. You have provided no details for the Newington supporters to scrutinise.
I think its called hearsay.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dont know whether it a shame, a coincidence or otherwise. You have provided no details for the Newington supporters to scrutinise.
I think its called hearsay.
What's the "it"?
Go and have a look at the posts in 2011.
Commenting without reading that stuff causes the thread to go in circles and ever diminishing ones at that.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
let the arms race commence.

I think you missed the start it was about 30 years ago.

What would be an interesting exercise is to look at teams of the past and apply the proposed point systems.

There would be a lot of premierships stripped and awarded to other schools.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
I have no idea how many of the boys on that list are on scholarship/bursary/fee assistance/call it what you will, but it is common knowledge in GPS circles that Newington were looking to bolster teams in ALL sports for the sesquicentenary this year, with inducements being offered as far back as year 7 in 2008. They just seem to have been more successful in recruiting for rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
A possible positive move for the Rugby programme at High. Likely to bear fruit in 2020. Still some lean years between now and then.

Would these be considered Sporting Scholarships?

As the zone will be 5km from High, there will be some competition for the Randwick and Easts, Norths and Wests Rep rugby players, with some possible impact on the Scots and New player pool.

Year 7 rethink for Sydney Boys

Fairfax Media understands the proposal involves relaxing the academic entry requirements for about 30 of the 180 places offered in each year 7 intake.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/year-7-rethink-for-sydney-boys-20130523-2k42j.html#ixzz2UAGPOYsi

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I have no idea how many of the boys on that list are on scholarship/bursary/fee assistance/call it what you will, but it is common knowledge in GPS circles that Newington were looking to bolster teams in ALL sports for the sesquicentenary this year, with inducements being offered as far back as year 7 in 2008. They just seem to have been more successful in recruiting for rugby.
Its hard to recruit for other stuff: cricket - anyone worth their salt needs to be playing grade at about the time they would be looked at 1st XI, rowing - well it is pretty much a GPS only sport so Unless you do an AIS style recruitment of netballers its hard to find them.
But they do seem to do well in Water polo.

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Q. Why does the ARU / GPS pathway administrators persist with those who have signed contracts with NRL, the day year 12 finishes they are gone ski to the ARL on a weekly pay check?
If ARU is serious about strengthening and widening the talent pool in the code of Union across grade and provincials then invest in the union talent and stop wasting time and money? Reward Union players with the Union Pathways, stop dissing them for ARL players - union pathway is about development so get on with developing?

overs and unders

Stan Wickham (3)
Q. Why does the ARU / GPS pathway administrators persist with those who have signed contracts with NRL, the day year 12 finishes they are gone ski to the ARL on a weekly pay check?
If ARU is serious about strengthening and widening the talent pool in the code of Union across grade and provincials then invest in the union talent and stop wasting time and money? Reward Union players with the Union Pathways, stop dissing them for ARL players - union pathway is about development so get on with developing?

stet "gone to NRL not ARL"

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Its hard to recruit for other stuff: cricket - anyone worth their salt needs to be playing grade at about the time they would be looked at 1st XI, rowing - well it is pretty much a GPS only sport so Unless you do an AIS style recruitment of netballers its hard to find them.
Its not hard to recruit for Cricket. Ask around IS, or inbox me. Plenty of recuiting goes on.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)

Agree on the rowing, but recruiting for basketball, tennis, athletics, soccer and cricket is just a matter of going to rep canivals/tournaments similar to the rugby recruitment. I know for a fact that Newington put out feelers to district rep /NSW Cricket Academy players. GPS players can only play grade during the summer holidays or the odd Sunday game, although quite a few do play Green Shield.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Time for a deep breath and some reflection.
"School sport, or to use the traditional name “games”, is primarily undertaken for educational objectives, and the prime purpose is to provide wide participation at a good level for all boys throughout the school. These objectives include the development of a healthy lifestyle, teamwork, sportsmanship in its highest forms, self-control and character. On these points it would seem to send a mixed educational message that when faced with a relative weakness, one would buy a solution rather than work towards developing one’s own talents or potential talents. At this point the amateur and educational tradition moves towards the values and strategies of professional sport. The high profile nature of inter school competitions is often used as a measure for marketing and publicity, matters which are less likely for academic and music scholars. The purpose of sporting scholarships is primarily to gain advantage in prestigious sports at first team level. The integrity of the competition at a senior level is destroyed as it becomes impossible for other schools to have any hope of success in the competition. "
A stolen quote but more eloquent and reasoned than I could ever hope to achieve.

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Time for a deep breath and some reflection.
"School sport, or to use the traditional name “games”, is primarily undertaken for educational objectives, and the prime purpose is to provide wide participation at a good level for all boys throughout the school. These objectives include the development of a healthy lifestyle, teamwork, sportsmanship in its highest forms, self-control and character. On these points it would seem to send a mixed educational message that when faced with a relative weakness, one would buy a solution rather than work towards developing one’s own talents or potential talents. At this point the amateur and educational tradition moves towards the values and strategies of professional sport. The high profile nature of inter school competitions is often used as a measure for marketing and publicity, matters which are less likely for academic and music scholars. The purpose of sporting scholarships is primarily to gain advantage in prestigious sports at first team level. The integrity of the competition at a senior level is destroyed as it becomes impossible for other schools to have any hope of success in the competition. "
A stolen quote but more eloquent and reasoned than I could ever hope to achieve.
That's al a bit high brow. If a kid is talented then good luck to him if he gets a scholarship. The same development pathway is not available at State Schools. In fact past 16 there is no development pathway.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
That's al a bit high brow. If a kid is talented then good luck to him if he gets a scholarship. The same development pathway is not available at State Schools. In fact past 16 there is no development pathway.
Hmmm.......please read the AAGPS Code of Practice (I can post the website if you can not find it) and then reflect on your observation.

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
What are Selective Sports High Schools then?
You couldn't possibly compare a GPS rugby program to a Sports High School - could you!
Hmmm...please read the AAGPS Code of Practice (I can post the website if you can not find it) and then reflect on your observation.
Hmmm...please read the AAGPS Code of Practice (I can post the website if you can not find it) and then reflect on your observation.
Thank you for offer but I will pass this time. One needs to be in tough with reality!

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Been out of the school rugby scene down here in Melbourne for a few years now. The curtain raiser for the Rebs-Tahs game was between two schools so I thought I would get in early and have a look. It was not a pretty sight. The one school has by all accounts had a recruiting drive and awarded a heap of scholarships. The result is a one sided comp where they are putting 80 to 100 points on all the other teams. I hardly see the benefit for anyone in this situation. Give them the trophy at the start of the season and let the other teams play for second place.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Been out of the school rugby scene down here in Melbourne for a few years now. The curtain raiser for the Rebs-Tahs game was between two schools so I thought I would get in early and have a look. It was not a pretty sight. The one school has by all accounts had a recruiting drive and awarded a heap of scholarships. The result is a one sided comp where they are putting 80 to 100 points on all the other teams. I hardly see the benefit for anyone in this situation. Give them the trophy at the start of the season and let the other teams play for second place.
I doubt that this is what Victorian rugby needs - on any view.
Bums on seats.
Rugby must be able to offer all those kids who are the wrong shape for AFL (and soccer for that matter) the opportunity to play a physically demanding and world game.
But to make it appealing it must be competitive.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Funny situation down Mexico way.

Village Club Rugby competition is apparently stronger than the School competition based on the profiles of the Vic kids selected for the National Schoolboys tournaments.

Even with the Scholarships, apparently the strongest school (St Kevins I think) would struggle to compete against club teams. Completely the opposite to Sydney.

As we bemoan the diminishing participant numbers in Village club rugby in upper age groups in SJRU, the VRU seem to be doing a decent job considering how pervasive the Combat Netball game they play down there is.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As we bemoan the diminishing participant numbers in Village club rugby in upper age groups in SJRU, the VRU seem to be doing a decent job considering how pervasive the Combat Netball game they play down there is.

Very good to hear - shows how the history of rugby in Sydney is distorting the game.