• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Bloody disgraceful.

Newington is to rugby union as Blacktown Patrician Brothers is to rugby league; both import without giving a damn about the overall effect it has on the schoolboy game; in general.
It may interest some to know that of the two year 11 boys on the Tongan bursary, one was Dux of his year last year and the other was not far behind.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Look - a shopping list
I was talking to my cousin Barry Westlake who had said that one of the Queensland GPS has gone through the New South Wales Country 15's and 16's looking for some new school attendees even to the point of getting the boys in now rather than waiting for year 10 so as these boys are under the radar. Look out Kindy :/

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But since we are on the topic of school leavers (extract from the Annual Report of 2011 which is on the College's website):

The Hardy Medal for the overall Dux of the College for 2011 was shared by Bradley Smith (IB Diploma), Michael

Rees (IB Diploma) and Nathaniel Teng (HSC) with the highest ATAR possible of 99.95. At the Annual Prize Giving,

Bradley was awarded Dux of the IBDP course and Nathaniel Teng and Finlay McDonald were equal Dux of the HSC

course.

Yes, that'sa reference to Fin McDonald who was the Newington XV Captain that year, or are you just trying to say that Tongans can't be good footballplayers and achieve in the classroom?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
It may interest some to know that of the two year 11 boys on the Tongan bursary, one was Dux of his year last year and the other was not far behind.
"The title of Dux of the College is awarded to the best academic student each year in the senior form. Since 1865 that has been the Upper Sixth, Sixth Form and now Year 12."
Straight from website... Yr 10...?

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I wrote "Dux of his year", not "Dux of the College". Each year has its own Dux, a Proximite Accessit , a Third in Year and a list of Merit (usually about 10) for General Proficiency.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
But since we are on the topic of school leavers (extract from the Annual Report of 2011 which is on the College's website):

The Hardy Medal for the overall Dux of the College for 2011 was shared by Bradley Smith (IB Diploma), Michael

Rees (IB Diploma) and Nathaniel Teng (HSC) with the highest ATAR possible of 99.95. At the Annual Prize Giving,

Bradley was awarded Dux of the IBDP course and Nathaniel Teng and Finlay McDonald were equal Dux of the HSC

course.

Yes, that'sa reference to Fin McDonald who was the Newington XV Captain that year, or are you just trying to say that Tongans can't be good footballplayers and achieve in the classroom?
So fucking what.
look at the 1st XV. don't give me any bullshit about leadership or all rounders.most on the list were approached by the School as a result of their performance on the Rugby field,and were granted scholarships on that basis.
FFS 4 of them came from the same School on the Northern beaches.
You think people don't talk?
Or are we going to hear the one about how they all woke up one morning and thought they should switch Schools from one around the cnr to one the other fucking side of Sydney.And they all lied about about being approached and granted Scholarships to boost their self esteem?
Don't bother replying, I am done with this thread.......again

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So fucking what.
look at the 1st XV. don't give me any bullshit about leadership or all rounders.most on the list were approached by the School as a result of their performance on the Rugby field,and were granted scholarships on that basis.
FFS 4 of them came from the same School on the Northern beaches.
You think people don't talk?
Or are we going to hear the one about how they all woke up one morning and thought they should switch Schools from one around the cnr to one the other fucking side of Sydney.And they all lied about about being approached and granted Scholarships to boost their self esteem?
Don't bother replying, I am done with this thread...again

I'd be happy to "look at the First XV" if the list was available (GPS Round 1 is this weekend and the First XV has yet to be finalised). Ok, let'sassume 4 of them come from the same school, did I or anyone else say that 'they all woke up one morning and decide to switch Schools [sic]'. When you say 'most on the list', are you referring to the alleged sholarship recipients who would have been as young as 11 or 13 when thye were "approached"? YesI'm sure the College goes out and just throws money at 11-14 year olds who might not even make it to First XV. Would they have offered a scholarship to Phil Kearns who played nowwhere above 'C'grade until he played Opens (where he only made 2nd XV in a year of ordinary players in any event) but still captained the Wallabies? Or perhaps Newington "recruiters" take along a fortune teller with them when they "approach"these kids.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)

Hold on here, DragonMan

Are you saying that Newington don't import by offering financial incentives to the players and/or their family?

As I said before, Newington are a disgrace to schoolboy rugby union and Patrician Brothers Blacktown are a disgrace to schoolboys rugby league; they dont understand or give a shit about the damage they are doing to the junior game by weakening other school and district sides for the benefit of the trophy cabinet (and the claim to be the No:1 side in the nation for their particular sport).

It doesn't do the players any good in the long run; as they come out of schoolboy footy from an overly strong side and then go into open age comps were you need to get into the trenches to win games week in, week out and these young blokes have no concept of this requirement and all their deficiencies suddenly come to the fore.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The point I was making in the above was in response to the allegation that boys are 'imported' solely for playing rugby (esepcially the Tongan boys). The College clearly states the criteria for the ONU Tongan Bursary on its website. Now if these Tongan boys ONLY played rugby AND did absolutely nothing else for the College then I would be ashamed that my alma mater was clearly compromising its own integrity as well as flouting the GPS Code of Conduct. It appears however that these two particular Tongan boys (as well as the third boy referred to earlier) bring much more to the College than just rugby (being Dux of a year is no mean feat) so are well deserving of their bursary and do contribute much more than just their skills on the football field.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
The point I was making in the above was in response to the allegation that boys are 'imported' solely for playing rugby (esepcially the Tongan boys). The College clearly states the criteria for the ONU Tongan Bursary on its website. Now if these Tongan boys ONLY played rugby AND did absolutely nothing else for the College then I would be ashamed that my alma mater was clearly compromising its own integrity as well as flouting the GPS Code of Conduct. It appears however that these two particular Tongan boys (as well as the third boy referred to earlier) bring much more to the College than just rugby (being Dux of a year is no mean feat) so are well deserving of their bursary and do contribute much more than just their skills on the football field.

No, my question was: Are you saying that Newington don't import by offering financial incentives to the players and/or their family? (dont worry about the Tonga Bursary students unless their families are actually Australian based)

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The College offers bursaries and scholarships the criteria for which are clearly set out on the College'swebsite.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
This thread has morphed into a World vs NEW thread.

Any chance we can spread the toxicity, as it has become a little tedious and repetitive of late.

Queensland GPS have open scholarshiping. How does it work in practice up there? Has it destroyed the Club competition?
Is there any problems with FPV Falcons and HSV Commodores being seen in the car park at TSS and Nudgee?

Disclaimer:
I have no association with NEW but have coached some boys who are there/have been there.
My proteges have also attended Aloys, Wav, Scots, High, Kings, Grammar, Cranbrook, Joeys and View. Some have been successful (from a rugby perspective), and some have been battlers in C's D's and lower. All seem to love heavensgame.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
The College offers bursaries and scholarships the criteria for which are clearly set out on the College'swebsite.

You will not answer a simple, clear question; as an old boy you should be ashamed of the school you attended.

I'm a non-GPSer, catholic school background and I'm ashamed of Patrician Brothers Blacktown and the damage they are doing to the schoolboy game and in the long term the damage they are doing to these scholarship holders.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
This thread has morphed into a World vs NEW thread.

Any chance we can spread the toxicity, as it has become a little tedious and repetitive of late.

Queensland GPS have open scholarshiping. How does it work in practice up there? Has it destroyed the Club competition?
Is there any problems with FPV Falcons and HSV Commodores being seen in the car park at TSS and Nudgee?

Wrong, I have provided an example of how it is happening in rugby league for the instant glorification of school ego and prestige.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I cannot answer that question because I am not an admissions officer of the College I and do not know for certain that PURE SPORTING SCHOLARSHIPS are offered.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
in the long term the damage they are doing to these scholarship holders.

It's one thing to be critical of Schools attracting rugby talent, however that may be. Debate it all you want, write to the school council, asks questions of them. If they are ones whom made the decisions to hand out scholarships they are the only ones who can make the decision to stop. Your energy is best direct there.

However it's another thing to carry one that theses boys are treated as some type of commodity by the school with no regard for their development or education.

The remaining schools in Sydney GPS all play competitive and close games and with a 2 round comp it will be a very tough competition. I highly doubt there will be any blow out scores. So no overly strong side producing players who will struggle with open rugby post school.