• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^2006 NSW II had a M De Lore from Whitebridge.
2013 Combined States and (2011 NSW Schools U16) has an Adrian Delore from Whitebridge HS. Wikipedia says Whitebridge had a pop 2494 in 2006.

Gotta be related.

Always good to see a former Schoolboy Rockstar list to see how where they are now.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Even more interesting to consider Cam Crawford was Beale's understudy in GPS IIs in 2006.
Just shows how poor an indicator of future potential under age rugby is but also that there's more than one way to skin a cat. Crawford has been able to keep playing rugby seriously enough for long enough that his break into the big time came.
Many kids are lost in those 6 years because of the demands.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
with all this matter going on with scholarships and so forth, i'd like to make mention to Josh Mitchell from Newington who in my eyes has really excelled through Newington's rugby program with him not being on scholarship and starting in year 7 then making NSW II's. Although he may be the only one!

Any other GPS boys who are not on scholarship and have started in year 7 and have made the NSW teams?

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
with all this matter going on with scholarships and so forth, i'd like to make mention to Josh Mitchell from Newington who in my eyes has really excelled through Newington's rugby program with him not being on scholarship and starting in year 7 then making NSW II's. Although he may be the only one!

Any other GPS boys who are not on scholarship and have started in year 7 and have made the NSW teams?
Jack Mc Calman TKS, Andrew Deegan SJC, Andrew Kellaway TSC in NSW I as far as I know.
I am not sure about Koutsoukis, due to being at Waverly, then there is Ned Hanigan SJC,the Clancy boys from Shore. There are plenty of helpers out there like CTPE and Random 2 that will fill the gaps.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
Jack Mc Calman TKS, Andrew Deegan SJC, Andrew Kellaway TSC in NSW I as far as I know.
I am not sure about Koutsoukis, due to being at Waverly, then there is Ned Hanigan SJC,the Clancy boys from Shore. There are plenty of helpers out there like CTPE and Random 2 that will fill the gaps.

Nick Kellaway and Ollie Kamp (both TSC) in Combined States and Mitch Short TSC in NSW I. Kamp and Short started in Scots Prep.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)

Jack Mac definitely in the category GPSrow raised.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Joeys barely got that back in the day when they were dominant....

Sorry to burst your bubble on this, but in 2005 Joeys had 11 NSW School reps in the two NSW squads and none in the shadow squad. So they have actually bettered Newington's 2013 result. It's on the AAGPS website, have copied and pasted below.

In 2006 still very good, 9 NSW School reps in the two squads.

I only went and looked at these two years as David Kirk represented them in his article as some type of golden era to look back on.

GPS REPRESENTATIVES IN NSWSRU

NSW 1STS
DANIEL ROACH (SIC)
SAM EGAN (SIC)
ROBERT McMICKAN (TSC)
PHIL MATHERS (TKS)
MATTHEW DAY (SJC)
ALISTAIR CLIFTON (SIC)
T NORVAL (BC)
PATRICK McCUTCHEON (SJC)
NATHAN SIEVERT (SJC)
KURTLEY BEALE (SJC)
WILLIAM GRESHAM (SJC)
MITCHELL INMAN (SIC)
A BARRETT (ILLAWARRA)
LACHLAN ROSENGREEN (SGS)
LACHALN TURNER (NC)
R O’CONNOR (NORMANHURST)
DANIEL O’CONNOR (TSC)
TOM DUNWORTH (SJC)
J PALOU (BALGOWLAH)
B McCALLUM (KWS)
MATTHEW SCHWAGER (SJC)
R KELLAM (CUMBERLAND)
CODEY MEDWAY (SJC)

NSW 2NDS
D PALMER (WARILLA)
S DREWE(CHEVALLIER)
K WARD (PTMACQUARIE)
M WOOLVEN (PITWATTER HS)
J BARRY (BC)
DAVID ARMSTRONG (SJC)
JAMES McMAHON (SJC)
HADAMS(BC)
S BRADLEY (BARRENJOEY)
M DE LORE (WHITEBRIDGE)
JUSTIN BOSILKOSVKI (NC)
R O’REILLY (TGS)
PETER BETHAM (SJC)
CHRIS YARRINGTON (SHORE)
P MCCABE (SAC)
C CROUCHER (HVGS)
A SAVOSKI (FRANCIS XAVIER)
D SMITH (BARRENJOEY)
W VALAWALU(KWS)
M PORPIGLIA (PRAIREWOOD)
D ROBINSON (SSC)
A MCKENZIE (FARRAH)
A MAFI (WESTFIELDS)

SHADOW TEAM
TOM BOWDEN (TSC)
TOM GORMAN (SIC)
Note the change in balance between State and private schools from 2006 to 2013. Same story in Aust & Aust A teams.

I think 4 boys from State schools have been selected in Aust and Aust A teams (one of those is from Victoria).

Note also no High, Grammar or Shore students in Aust or Aust A. 1 more domino falls boys and you have an unviable 5 team competition.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
^^2006 NSW II had a M De Lore from Whitebridge.
2013 Combined States and (2011 NSW Schools U16) has an Adrian Delore from Whitebridge HS. Wikipedia says Whitebridge had a pop 2494 in 2006.

Gotta be related.

There are a bunch of Delore boys playing in Newcastle for Southern Beaches cousins and brothers all very talented making high rep honours and all playing 1st grade at a tender age

Low to High

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots seem to have imported a few in the 16's. Today beat Riverview 58-0 and before the holidays beat Shore 41-7. Dominant

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And judging by today's 16A result, they've attracted some 16 yr old deep sea divers as well.:)
I share your views expressed in the AAGPS thread in relation to this result.
Mind you, I am pretty sure I have read posts suggesting SIC 16s are not strong.
Someone will be able to tell us how they went as 15s - but of course the 15s result will have been impacted by the Glengarry sojourn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So in the 1990's Kings, Riverview, Scots, Newington and High never imported?
Beginning a "question" with "so" implies that the proposition advanced in some way follows as a matter of logic from that which is being replied to.
Since you don't quote whatever it is you are responding to its is impossible to determine whether there is a logical relationship.
However, whether any of them did import not less than 13 years ago hardly bears on the issue whether some schools are presently doing it, whether it is harmful to rugby generally or whether it is to be condemned or condoned.
As a lover of history I would love to hear the substance of an allegation that High imported sporting talent in the 90s - do tell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk