• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Francesca

Surely the 'other side' have just as much opportunity in their school to equal the skill of the opposition? It really isn't the case that some parents are loaded thereby giving their boys a great opportunity, some of the boys got there through hard work and determination.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was trying to be humourous (or is that humourless); but in all seriousness, surely one side (obviously with imports) beating another team by 90plus points is not good for any comp or the game, in generally.

I agree with your sentiment that one GPS School's U16A team flogging another 93-0 is not good for the game but it's all too easy to point the finger of blame at those GPS schools who actually embrace, cherish and promote the game. What does it say though about both Grammar and High and their virtual abandonment of the game over the last 40 years in their singleminded pursuit of topping the academic leagues tables. Neither have featured as premiership winners in either the first or second rugby since High won the firsts in 1973 and Grammar the seconds in 1970.

M

magpie4ever

Surely the 'other side' have just as much opportunity in their school to equal the skill of the opposition? It really isn't the case that some parents are loaded thereby giving their boys a great opportunity, some of the boys got there through hard work and determination.

Now I have got a bite on the line: this is my proposal.

Iggies, Joeys, Kings & Newington; I'm unsure whether there are any other strong rugby schools, are not allowed to offer sport scholarships.

Only Grammar, Sydney Boys & any other strugglers (given Sydney Boy's demographics are what about 50-60% asian, due to their academic success) are able to offer scholarships to pupil who excel at sports (from Sport High Schools & strong catholic schools etc). This would aid these schools & be helpful to all the students (academically to the students who excel at sport & for say, a 5 foot asian student to mixture with a 6' 4" islander boy. The asian student finds out the sporting star is just a normal dude & the sport star being mentored by the academically brillant student) - hopefully, you understand where I am come from. Might solve some of society's problems in a small way.

I reckon this proposal should be put to the Parrot (that Jones bloke) & the principals of the GPS schools. It might eliminate the 90 plus score lines.

Anyway, I'm Hinch and that's my say (or what he use to say)

M

magpie4ever

CTPE said:
I agree with your sentiment that one GPS School's U16A team flogging another 93-0 is not good for the game but it's all too easy to point the finger of blame at those GPS schools who actually embrace, cherish and promote the game. What does it say though about both Grammar and High and their virtual abandonment of the game over the last 40 years in their singleminded pursuit of topping the academic leagues tables. Neither have featured as premiership winners in either the first or second rugby since High won the firsts in 1973 and Grammar the seconds in 1970.

I actually went to uni with the 5/8 who I believed played for Sydney in 1973; Greg Hunter. He passed away last year, got found out playing league at uni. Was a good bloke, brillant editor: heard depression got him in the end. It was sad news.

I

International Badboy

See, to me (and probably others) this sounds like someone from kings trying to weasel talk their way out of the fact they have so many new country boys playing 16As and are by all accounts winning. it doesn't matter whether they are "promoting the game"
SPORTING SCHOLARSHIPS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN GPS COMPETITION end of story

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
See, to me (and probably others) this sounds like someone from kings trying to weasel talk their way out of the fact they have so many new country boys playing 16As and are by all accounts winning. it doesn't matter whether they are "promoting the game"
SPORTING SCHOLARSHIPS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN GPS COMPETITION end of story

I have no association with Kings. If you take the time to actually read my comment you'll see that it was a general one made in respect to the fact any GPS school that pursues rugby success seems to get villified for it whilst the two GPS schools that have seemingly abandoned this pursuit get bucket loads of sympathy. In my view this sympathy is misplaced given the choice Grammar and High have made as to where rugby sits in their respective school's priorities.

F

fourgreatkids

i thought in GPS, there was a rule bought in a year or two ago that forbidded schools from bringing new people on scholarships just for year 12. hence why so many kids are in yr 11 when they are playing

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
That's NSW, there are procedures in place in QLD to stop it, but the schools find loopholes and so everyone has accepted it.

Regardless, this topic is unrelated to the thread.

Phoenix

Stan Wickham (3)
i thought in GPS, there was a rule bought in a year or two ago that forbidded schools from bringing new people on scholarships just for year 12. hence why so many kids are in yr 11 when they are playing

Apparently it is being implemented as of 2012 and beyond
Apparently being the key word

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Nice to see there is a bit of controversy regarding refereeing not involving Lauries for once this season. Lauries beat Peters 43-31 yesterday. Both teams were down to 13 men during the first half after a fight where a yellow and red card were shown to both teams and this led to a very open game which swung both ways throughout the second half. Margin slightly misleading as Lauries scored a converted try on fulltime. Don't reckon there would have been many people who would of thought that Pats and Lauries would only win one more game each after round 2. Congrats to Ash, Padua and Eddies.

A

AIC scout.

BGS Coachs - 75% chance of scholarships for the following players;
- T.Robinson 10/12 - SLC
- J.Shoul or Scholl? 10/12 - SLC
- J.Mckersey 13/14/15 - Iona
- J.Dempsey 13/15 - SLC

Potentionaly more players under review.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Why would BGS be interested in those players if they are 16A's this year. GPS schools don't usually bring in players just for year 12.. particularly as it's not an anniversary year for BGS, I don't see this happening just for the sake of rugby.

If anything, they will be looking at current year 10s for longevity

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
BGS Coachs - 75% chance of scholarships for the following players;
- T.Robinson 10/12 - SLC
- J.Shoul or Scholl? 10/12 - SLC
- J.Mckersey 13/14/15 - Iona
- J.Dempsey 13/15 - SLC

Potentionaly more players under review.

I notice in the Sunday Mail that the SLC 16A's lost to St Peters yesterday and that hasn't been their only loss this season. Hardly the sort of form that would win BGS a GPS premiership

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I notice in the Sunday Mail that the SLC 16A's lost to St Peters yesterday and that hasn't been their only loss this season. Hardly the sort of form that would win BGS a GPS premiership

BGS would only go after these boys in their final year of schooling, if they were going for a premiership. BGS 16A's are strong, but I doubt the school will be able to justify these three additions to their rugby program and 1st XV which will be lucky to get top 3.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
This is the statement on the AAGPS website under "Code of Practice":

No inducements such as sporting scholarships, whether direct, disguised, or at arm's length, shall be offered by any member school. Financial assistance to talented sportsmen shall not form part of the enrolment strategy of any member school.

I have no issue in conceding that the retention of this statement by AAGPS is a farce and should be removed from their Code in light of what has occurred for so many years that in reality it's decades, but I don't resile from my comments that both Grammar and High have abandoned the pursuit of Rugby and do not deserve the sympathy they so often receive.

G

GPS superstars

BGS would only go after these boys in their final year of schooling, if they were going for a premiership. BGS 16A's are strong, but I doubt the school will be able to justify these three additions to their rugby program and 1st XV which will be lucky to get top 3.

not really, if theyre the reason why the team has been winning, why not give them a shot at GPS rugby. its not like BGS have anything to lose? they arent the best school at rugby so why not try something best for the team. the coach clearly sees it benefitting there team in some way. so why be so negative in the decision? you probably havent even seen them play so dont jump to conclusions because of results.

I

International Badboy

Wasn't having a go at you CTPE but whether or not you feel sympathetic or not towards grammar/high and whether you think schools are promoting rugby doesn't matter. Scholarships aren't allowed. If they were, i would have no problem with boys being given an opportunity in return for the rugby skills, however they aren't so emotions have no say in the matter. I do agree however that the GPS code of practice is a joke and needs to be revised

I

International Badboy

Is this code of practice ever up for revision and can anyone tell me how it would happen?

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
The code of practice isn't a joke. It is put there to encourage fairness in school sport and to prevent a distortion of the competition. The application and enforcement of the code is lacking. If the code was enforced then all schools would adhere to it. I don't think that the Melbourne Storm will be breaking the salary cap rules in the forseeable future!! Similarly, if schools had their championships cancelled ie named and shamed then the prestige gained from winning would collapse and the tainted victories would be seen as just that.

smokinjoe

Ward Prentice (10)
High and Grammar don't seek sympathy. Why would they? Every year they win the competition that really matters - the HSC!! After all, that is why 99.99% of boys go to school - for an education.

Status
Not open for further replies.