• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

abe01

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Llyod McDermott program does a lot for the boys involved. There is a big emphasis on bettering yourself on and off the field. I'd love to see the u18 team play against some of the "weaker" teams at the championships
If some of these kids get the chance of a scholarship at rugby schools then it can only be good for them,the school and the game

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Yes .I'm not sure why once again everyone seems to need to be critical of the schools giving the boys something that they want. Do people really think the schools just push the kids into a rugby team without giving them an education.? Why instead of carrying on like jealous ex's doesn't everyone just let the kids enjoy the opportunity they've been given. CTPE you've hit the nail on the head!! As far as I can see the only protest is "Its not fair,theyve taken our good players away so now we can't dominate the opposition!!" The argument has nothing to do with the boys education .."sadly highlights this?".please.. bet the boys aren't sad.
Reread Inside Shoulders post # 1459. This is one major reason that this goes on. To sate the thirsts of others and the lending itself to the oldboys self flaggelating over glorys that they themselves did not or could not achieve.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Interesting article about the Qld U18 Indigenous team and the perspective on scholarships in Qld GPS

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/snowballs-chance-as-rugby-chases-its-own-gi-20130508-2j7rf.html
With Govt funding being aimed more and more to indigenous scholarships to private schooling, what will the upturn for Rugby?
Young indigenous men from all over Australia playing Rugby... How good is this? Young Men playing an international game and hopefully seeing more than they would ever experience from cross country volleyball. Great stuff!

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
With Govt funding being aimed more and more to indigenous scholarships to private schooling, what will the upturn for Rugby?
Young indigenous men from all over Australia playing Rugby. How good is this? Young Men playing an international game and hopefully seeing more than they would ever experience from cross country volleyball. Great stuff!
So when they come to school, can we then celebrate the opportunities they will be receiving without everyone bleating about how unfair it is to the existing 13A professional player who's been the no.10 since year 3?;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So when they come to school, can we then celebrate the opportunities they will be receiving without everyone bleating about how unfair it is to the existing 13A professional player who's been the no.10 since year 3?;)
Man that's some dream world you're living in - where self interest frames no one's view.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Man that's some dream world you're living in - where self interest frames no one's view.
Unfortunately I continue to tell my kids that if someone comes along who's better than you then you have to become better again or accept that you will be in the Bs. Seems to be a bit utopian I agree when they towel some kid in trials and still lose out....always seems to involve coaches or managers offspring in various sports not just Rugby. Funnily enough the older they get the harder it is to hide and the more disallusioned the coaches kids get because they can't make that "a" team when Dads not picking the team. Not sure how the Dads think that is doing their kids a service..

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Unfortunately I continue to tell my kids that if someone comes along who's better than you then you have to become better again or accept that you will be in the Bs. Seems to be a bit utopian I agree when they towel some kid in trials and still lose out....always seems to involve coaches or managers offspring in various sports not just Rugby. Funnily enough the older they get the harder it is to hide and the more disallusioned the coaches kids get because they can't make that "a" team when Dads not picking the team. Not sure how the Dads think that is doing their kids a service..

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
To extend the debate, how about the ex rugby players and other retired sportsmen and women who find their way into the corporate world. The post rugby scholarship?

Not all but a significant number occupy positions well beyond their capabilities and with generous salaries. Not bad when the main skill you bring to the table is to tell a few good stories (with repetition) and occasionally piss in the pocket of the CEO/Chairman.

Oh we'll that's life just have to suck it up and keep pushing on!

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
what says any of these players (or their parents) haven't already graciously declined expressions of interest without making a song and dance about it. Or using it as political leverage. There just might be some old fashioned dignity and loyalty still around. If they haven't told you yet don't ask 'cause they probably wont tell.
I have said it before .... you can't buy class.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
what says any of these players (or their parents) haven't already graciously declined expressions of interest without making a song and dance about it. Or using it as political leverage. There just might be some old fashioned dignity and loyalty still around. If they haven't told you yet don't ask 'cause they probably wont tell.
I have said it before .. you can't buy class.
You can't buy it ... But you can park your fully sick HSV Commodore (with Chevvy badging ) RIGHT beside it. :)

hits and trys

Bob McCowan (2)
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/sydney-gps-2013.9657/page-38#post-448742
GPSrow
Which ones started in year 7?
Which ones started after the U16 championships?

1. Vuni Fifita Year 10 (Scholarship)
2. Campbell Shearer Year 7
3. Sione Fonua Year 11 (Scholarship)
4. George Prassas Year 9 (Scholarship)
5. Anthony Vasilis Year 11 (Scholarship)
6. Stuart Mill Year 11 (Scholarship)
7. David Morris Year 11 (Scholarship)
8. Lachlan Cannell Year 11 (Scholarship)
9. Joey Lussick Year 9 (Scholarship)
10. Ellis Abrahams Year 9 (Scholarship)
11. Sepesa Loga Year 7 (Scholarship)
12. Tepai Moeroa Year 9 (Scholarship)
13. Taane Milne Year 11 (Scholarship)
14. Josh Mitchell Year 7
15. Simon Kennewell Year 11 (Scholarship)

rugbyscribe

Herbert Moran (7)
14. Josh Mitchell Year 7

13 out of 15 on scholarship is just wrong!
7 out of these 13 starting in year 11 is just a joke.
Surely none of the other GPS sides are anywhere near this level?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
14. Josh Mitchell Year 7

Pardon my ignorance, but who funds all of these scholarships? Are they full scholarships? and lastly how are the scholarships for these students categorized, e.g sporting, music?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
14. Josh Mitchell Year 7
Which school in the last 120 years could not have won the premiership if they hand picked 13 kids to replace the random abilities of the bestb15 kids who happened to be in their last year or 2 of school?
A premiership won by doing this is utterly worthless and completely meaningless except, perhaps, to the extent that it causes those of us who love the game for its own sake to revisit the difference between playing, poaching and recruiting to win at all costs and playing for the enjoyment of the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Where/what schools were the scholarship boys at before arriving at Stanmore?

#4 & #14 were at Randwick Boys High School, and would have been big losses to their Waratah Shield dreams.

#1 is from Tonga, and could be considered part of Ausaid under the long standing relationship between the Kingdom and Newington.