• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Grammar HMhas been there for quite a while.
The change of tack came in the late 60's.
There was a change of Sportsmaster in the last few years who has brought in Lachlan Fear to coach 1st XV and Alan Campbell to coach 1st XI - and for each of them to have a wider role in developing the skills of the boys who are already at the school - with some success in rugby (I cant speak for cricket).
If Grammar have bought in dedicated sports masters to oversee the whole program with people of that quality, that is a brilliant thing, there is no reason why they shouldn't improve out of sight in the near future, and hopefully promote themselves back into the top flight.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If Grammar have bought in dedicated sports masters to oversee the whole program with people of that quality, that is a brilliant thing, there is no reason why they shouldn't improve out of sight in the near future, and hopefully promote themselves back into the top flight.
I have a lot of faith in and time for both of them, and I am a hard marker.
But they did have a dedicated rugby coach before Fear in the form of John Warr who had an illustrious resume.
The problems of their demographic should not underestimated.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
I have a lot of faith in and time for both of them, and I am a hard marker.
But they did have a dedicated rugby coach before Fear in the form of John Warr who had an illustrious resume.
The problems of their demographic should not underestimated.
This isn't overlooked by anyone at all. Would it be outside of the "principle" for Grammar to look at entry exemptions for sons of old boys (in a similar manner to the exemptions i believe are now in place at High to encourage some other backgrounded people back)? If the past eras had all of this talent, surely Grammar must be able to find a way of getting the sons of young boys back and building their sports program back up.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
You blokes would have a field day critiquing the QLD GPS.

Nudgee do what scots have done in Basketball - but for nearly every sport, every year, for the last 20 years. And everyone other school is somewhat guilty as well.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
As mentioned IS, Shore are not in any danger of giving up their "principles", Grammar maybe so, but their removal of a focus on sport probabyl comprpmised what has otherwise been a rich sporting history? Is that a compromising of principles in itself?

You are talking rubbish, mate. Shore don't import. Never have. You are referring to anecdotal evidence you heard from mates about rowing last year, which is wrong.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This isn't overlooked by anyone at all. Would it be outside of the "principle" for Grammar to look at entry exemptions for sons of old boys (in a similar manner to the exemptions i believe are now in place at High to encourage some other backgrounded people back)? If the past eras had all of this talent, surely Grammar must be able to find a way of getting the sons of young boys back and building their sports program back up.

They don't see winning rugby premierships it as being sufficiently important to justify compromising the selection criteria.
I can see their point of view.

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
You are talking rubbish, mate. Shore don't import. Never have. You are referring to anecdotal evidence you heard from mates about rowing last year, which is wrong.

Fairly confident reply. I can assure you assistance has been offered to athletes to go to Shore, in the case i know of, it was in rowing, and it was more then finances that were offered (positions within the school and such were floated), and i heard this from the boys father.

And this doesn't relate to last year, this is going back about 5 years.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Since its 'Free Kick Month' lets go talk about SGS. Their sin is not sport* but their crude methods to raise the ATAR ratio. Taps on the shoulder for the bottom 10%, prep to year 7 closed door and fracturing families by letting in some sons but not their brothers. Nice, at least its honest.

* Bit of a smell about the rowing in 2010/2011 but old boys tell me all ok. Funny how demographics doesn't work for Rugby but works for a sport that requires a certain build with a dedication to the sport over study...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You blokes would have a field day critiquing the QLD GPS.

Nudgee do what scots have done in Basketball - but for nearly every sport, every year, for the last 20 years. And everyone other school is somewhat guilty as well.

In Qld GPS is the an agreed Code of Conduct or the like whereby the Heads of the GPS Schools have agreed that there is to be NO inducements to talented sportsmen.

I think that there was a big blow up about 10 years ago, and whatever code/agreement that they had at that time was amended to allow this sort of behaviour to occur.

Down here as well as the alleged procurement of two teams of basketball players which to any rational observer seems a little over the top, there is the little ethical problem that nearly all schools have been operating in rather open breach of the agreed code. What appears to be the spokesmen of the chief opponents of the Scots college behaviour, and one of Australia's leading educators has more or less openly admitted that his school and many others only break the agreement a little.

Honour and integrity seem to be a bit of a flexible commodity, Bill Clinton style.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Fracturing families?
I know a few well adjusted families that had their brightest at Grammar and their not so brightest elsewhere. It was just seen as natural,and matching Schools with the kids personalities/needs/strengths.
But I'm with you about the culling of the weak.They are not the only ones,but that doesn't make it right either.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ not my red herring about academic scholarships skewing overall school academic performances.

Fracturing Families - it is about horses for courses and I am aware of a family that has one boy at Joeys, one boy at St Andrews and one boy at Redham with each boy well matched to the school they attend. One boy sporting, one musical, and one a little alternative.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Since its 'Free Kick Month' lets go talk about SGS. Their sin is not sport* but their crude methods to raise the ATAR ratio. Taps on the shoulder for the bottom 10%, prep to year 7 closed door and fracturing families by letting in some sons but not their brothers. Nice, at least its honest.

* Bit of a smell about the rowing in 2010/2011 but old boys tell me all ok. Funny how demographics doesn't work for Rugby but works for a sport that requires a certain build with a dedication to the sport over study.

What utter rubbish - their entry selection criteria in the prep schools mean that it is very rare for a kid not to be offered a spot at high school. I dont think many people realise how small the grammar preps are in comparison to, say, the scots prep.
Unless you make money the sole determinant of who goes to a school there will be siblings who miss out.
A grammar school prepares kids for uni - by definition - I suppose you think its rough that some kids get to go to uni and their siblings dont get an automatic right of entry?
What was the smell re 2011?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Welcome back to the thread that shall not be mentioned elsewhere strokeside.

Grammar has some clever little sausages working there. I am sure that they could come up with some cost sharing arrangement with Scots.

Their bus fleet would almost go right past the College Street front door.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Since its 'Free Kick Month' lets go talk about SGS. Their sin is not sport*

* Bit of a smell about the rowing in 2010/2011 but old boys tell me all ok. Funny how demographics doesn't work for Rugby but works for a sport that requires a certain build with a dedication to the sport over study.
Absolutely guaranteed all OK. I watched all of them either play rugby or row through prep and junior school. Rowing suites academic boys, I know the crews average ATAR was around 97-98!

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^ Just in time for the Scots appointed and paid for Independent investigator to investigate a Scots defined terms of reference perhaps and find ... . ..nothing untoward ???

Mmmm, over three days, during school holidays, so no teachers, students or parents to interview, I think he will be surprised at the number ("hundreds", Lamberts figure, not mine) of similar enrolment applications where the father is self-employed, with an income bracket of say 60-70k, backed-up with a part time pay slip from the wife! Nothing to see here, move along.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Absolutely guaranteed all OK. I watched all of them either play rugby or row through prep and junior school. Rowing suites academic boys, I know the crews average ATAR was around 97-98!

One at Princeton and one at Harvard - both with parents teaching at the school! One whose father was an Old Boy.
And a couple of other old boy's sons in the crew.

fsrugby

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thursday 26 September 2013
Dear Parents and Carers,
Over the past few days you will have read or heard of various media reports regarding the actions of a number of schools concerning GPS sport and GPS basketball in particular.
I wish to inform you, regardless of your son's participation in GPS basketball or otherwise, that I have advised the Principal of The Scots College that St Joseph's College will not be participating in the GPS First and Second basketball fixtures against The Scots College in the forthcoming summer season.
At St Joseph's College we participate in sport because it is considered of educative value to the boys. It is my current view this is no longer the case in these fixtures and this is the basis of my actions. Games in other grades and other sports remain unaffected.
I can also inform you that on previous occasions prior to this action I made my concerns regarding the educative value of these fixtures, and the position I was considering, known to the Principal of The Scots College.
Please accept my apologies for this intrusion into the time with your son during the school holidays.
Yours sincerely,
Mr Ross Tarlinton Headmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.