• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My point is proven yet again ... Scots won the senior and intermediate cross country this year.... That would be athletics ... Again don't let the truth get in the way of a good scots bashing storey....
Please indicate how my post to which you replied was "Scots bashing". Not only did I not mention the school or any school for that matter, but I was making a generic comment about how certain sports are given higher priority within the AAGPS. You seem to have developed some sort of paranoia and now you're taking comments which have absolutely nothing to do with Scots as Scots bashing.

Seeing you like to pull others up on details, cross country and athletics are different sports. Cross country involves running distances over open ground, while athletics is on a track and also includes jumping and throwing events.

Possibly without realising it you've proven my point, most people wouldn't know who won the cross country, or rifle shooting, or volleyball, or swimming, or athletics, or water polo, or debating unless they had a boy involved. Most GPS followers would know who won the rugby and the HOR and to a lesser extent basketball and cricket.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
A snout has indicated that the Shore Headmaster has written an interesting letter to the parents. As I have only been "told" about it third hand, I don't believe it is appropriate to starting "quoting" from it - to ensure that facts don't get in the way & muddy the waters of a post !
Anyone from Shore prepared to divulge the gist of the letter ?

I'm not from Shore but it says that Shore will be playing Scots in 1sts basketball when the time comes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Rumour has it that the schools want an independent analysis of the Scots position

I think you're right;)

The future of Sydney's most prestigious school sports competition is under review amid the continued boycott of Scots College basketball teams over the alleged payment of prohibited scholarships.
The heads of the Great Public Schools will appoint an ''external facilitator'' to investigate the educational role of school sports, in light of the race to recruit young athletes. The review will seek to end the impasse between the schools over the alleged payment of inducements in breach of the GPS code of practice.
Some GPS heads have questioned the value of playing in the competition.
Timothy Wright, headmaster of Sydney Church of England Grammar School (Shore), advised parents on Friday that the review would ''help us reach a common understanding of the educational role of games/sports in our schools and to … recommit to a code of conduct that reflects our educational beliefs''.
Advertisement
He said the current 2013-14 basketball season would be relaunched from this weekend, despite the continued refusal of some schools to play Scots.
Peter Munro

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/great-public-schools-sports-program-to-be-investigated-20131129-2yh32.html#ixzz2mCZCO2rn

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think you're right;)

The future of Sydney's most prestigious school sports competition is under review amid the continued boycott of Scots College basketball teams over the alleged payment of prohibited scholarships.
The heads of the Great Public Schools will appoint an ''external facilitator'' to investigate the educational role of school sports, in light of the race to recruit young athletes. The review will seek to end the impasse between the schools over the alleged payment of inducements in breach of the GPS code of practice.
Some GPS heads have questioned the value of playing in the competition.
Timothy Wright, headmaster of Sydney Church of England Grammar School (Shore), advised parents on Friday that the review would ''help us reach a common understanding of the educational role of games/sports in our schools and to … recommit to a code of conduct that reflects our educational beliefs''.
Advertisement
He said the current 2013-14 basketball season would be relaunched from this weekend, despite the continued refusal of some schools to play Scots.
Peter Munro

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/great-public-schools-sports-program-to-be-investigated-20131129-2yh32.html#ixzz2mCZCO2rn

my info is, however, that scots will not agree to this - but as i posted later: Shore are prepared to play them in b'ball.
The story there is that they are worried that their reputation will suffer with potential clients if they are seen not to be prepared (read: able) to compete with all of the schools. The parent body is, apparently, split between those who want to uphold the sporting traditions of the school and those who are concerned about the potential for injury.
This has some way to run and I think that it is going to become more polarised before the issues are "resolved".

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
my info is, however, that scots will not agree to this - but as i posted later: Shore are prepared to play them in b'ball.
The story there is that they are worried that their reputation will suffer with potential clients if they are seen not to be prepared (read: able) to compete with all of the schools. The parent body is, apparently, split between those who want to uphold the sporting traditions of the school and those who are concerned about the potential for injury.
This has some way to run and I think that it is going to become more polarised before the issues are "resolved".
We live in interesting times.

I did note yesterday's basketball results in the paper today:
High def TSC
SGS def Shore
NC def Kings
SJC & SIC drew

All matches looked close, but I suppose with the match-ups ond would expect that. A 9 or 10 week break until the next round. We'll who does and doesn't play.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
'' Talented Athletes'' you say really? The wording was '' good sportsman'' but god forbid you would all let the truth get in the way of a good story on this forum or should i say witch hunt... must be hard to hand out 220 odd bursarys and make sure they are all bad at sport.... only 1/3 are GOOD sportsman (the definition of this is yet to be released but could be anything from the c's up when Scots have so many teams in most sports) if only all GPS schools could offer the same opportunity of a lifetime to so many - of whom only 1/3 are only GOOD at sport... the report will be released shortly then you can all be objective and deal with facts .... do i think the report will be a get out of jail free card ... no absolutely not... but will it be similar to what many of the other schools have and still do (Shore and Grammar excepted)... we all know the answer to this.. if only they would open themselves up to the same scrutiny as TSC...
Ooh Gee, should I have called them "Adept, able participants"?
I don't have time to break the thesaurus out every time that you don't like what is written.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If correct, it would be interesting if Scots did not agree to an external facilitator to investigate, when many of their supporters have been urging other schools to be the subject of scrutiny.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If correct, it would be interesting if Scots did not agree to an external facilitator to investigate, when many of their supporters have been urging other schools to be the subject of scrutiny.
It wasn't entirely clear to me that the proposal involved external review of any school other than TSC.
Since my informant was impeccably placed to know what the John Dory was I did not want to scare him off by cross examining too much on the detail.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
PaddoG
Perhaps rather than suggesting that Shore "blinked", it might be more helpful to see the comments passed by the Headmaster as a suggestion as to how they could all seek some way of moving this whole beast forward, rather than slowly sinking into the inevitable quagmire... ?

Not a bad idea, really, in the scheme of things.

Will be interesting to see if ALL of the other schools, including Scots, New & High jump on board & try & sort things out.

Unfortunately, if they are actually "successful" - whatever that might mean - in arriving at the "new dawn of GPS sport" it might be the end of this thread !

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No @Jaghond. Think beyond 8 Schools in Sydney and 1 in New England.

If AAGPS sort their "issues out, there are scholarshipping issues impacting on Brisbane GPS rugby, Sydney CAS and ISA rugby to a lesser degree, and Melbourne Grammer is copping a bit of grief south of the border.

This little thread has a long way to go yet.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It wasn't entirely clear to me that the proposal involved external review of any school other than TSC.
Since my informant was impeccably placed to know what the John Dory was I did not want to scare him off by cross examining too much on the detail.
The newspaper article seemed to suggest an across the board review, but that's all I'm relying on at this point.

I think that Dr Wright's desire to ''help us reach a common understanding of the educational role of games/sports in our schools and to … recommit to a code of conduct that reflects our educational beliefs'' is highly desireable, but will not be as easy as it sounds.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No @Jaghond. Think beyond 8 Schools in Sydney and 1 in New England.

If AAGPS sort their "issues out, there are scholarshipping issues impacting on Brisbane GPS rugby, Sydney CAS and ISA rugby to a lesser degree, and Melbourne Grammer is copping a bit of grief south of the border.

This little thread has a long way to go yet.
Although the NSW AAGPS seems to be the only association which has tried to eliminate the practice through a code of practice. Qld GPS seem to have given up and it's open slather and CAS and ISA don't seem to have addressed the issue at all.

Quite how the faction in the NSW AAGPS who want zero sporting scholarships can be reconciled with the schools who either want a limited number or no restrictions will be interesting to watch.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Quite how the faction in the NSW AAGPS who want zero sporting scholarships can be reconciled with the schools who either want a limited number or no restrictions will be interesting to watch.

I don't think they can be. I have a feeling there may be some major changes on the way.
I gather Melbourne Grammar offer cricket scholarships by the handful yearly.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
We live in interesting times.

I did note yesterday's basketball results in the paper today:
High def TSC
SGS def Shore
NC def Kings
SJC & SIC drew

All matches looked close, but I suppose with the match-ups ond would expect that. A 9 or 10 week break until the next round. We'll who does and doesn't play.

Joeys beat View in overtime actually. Both Joeys and Newington beat Scots at last weeks Raschke Cup and High have beaten Scots twice this year. Seems the lack of competition has hindered the 'team no one wants to play'

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
The newspaper article seemed to suggest an across the board review, but that's all I'm relying on at this point.

I think that Dr Wright's desire to ''help us reach a common understanding of the educational role of games/sports in our schools and to … recommit to a code of conduct that reflects our educational beliefs'' is highly desireable, but will not be as easy as it sounds.

I am unsure if it was a factor, but upon speaking with a Shore basketball father on the weekend, he expressed an opinion that whilst the basketballers at Shore understood the stance taken they were very disappointed at not being able to test themselves against the so called "superteam".

Maybe there were some internal influences at work that helped speed up the process?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am unsure if it was a factor, but upon speaking with a Shore basketball father on the weekend, he expressed an opinion that whilst the basketballers at Shore understood the stance taken they were very disappointed at not being able to test themselves against the so called "superteam".

Maybe there were some internal influences at work that helped speed up the process?
Certainly parental

Status
Not open for further replies.