• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

School sporting scholarships/recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges

Frank Nicholson (4)
Neither The scots basketball convenor or coaches showed up for speeches and lunch after 1sts and 2nds games. The scots boys turned up and conducted themselves in a way that would have made both their parents and old boys of the school proud. They could teach their mentors a lot more than they may ever learn from them on the true values of sport and sportsmanship. Couldn't help but notice the 4wd hilux in the car park with scots basketball emblazoned along both sides. Thought it was a Bit over the top

bigeasy

Frank Row (1)
In the entire time my son played 1st & 2nd XI, afternoon tea was never provided by any school for one day games.

bigeasy

Frank Row (1)
I was referring to there being no formal afternoon tea during or following one day games. According to IS that seems to have changed this season. It's always been the norm during 2-day games.

As for informal gatherings, I only ever experienced that at Joeys (following a 2-day game) and it was more aimed at the parents.

bigeasy

Frank Row (1)
Can't say I'm aware of any animosity between Scots and Joeys and if it exists for the reason you've given then it should also exist between Scots and other schools and between Newington and other schools as the Newington cricket coach is a former Test cricketer 'hired gun'.

You do realise that the Scots coach also goes back to teaching on Monday as he has always done and did before he joined Scots.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Neither The scots basketball convenor or coaches showed up for speeches and lunch after 1sts and 2nds games.

He's recruited an all star team, and he still can't win. Given the goal of world dominance at TSC, he'd be under a bit of pressure I'd imagine.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
COACHES
  • All coaches (and particularly those who are not on the teaching staff) should ensure that they are fully aware of the expectations and practices of the school in which they are coaching. Coaches should remember that school sport plays an important role in a boy's education and is for the benefit of boys rather than adults.
  • Coaches should teach sound sportsmanship along with games skills; chivalrous conduct is an important element of school sport.
  • Coaches are asked to bear in mind that even senior school students need guidance; make clear the school's expectations regarding courtesies, punctuality, behaviour and dress.
  • Coaches are encouraged to establish and regularly to renew cordial relations with the coaches of opposing teams.
http://www.aagps.nsw.edu.au/

Vindictam is correct in saying that the current practice of 1st teams being coached by people hired to coach (who may or may not teach a bit) rather than by people who are hired to teach and also coach changes the dynamic.

We reap what we sow.

Notwithstanding this, the GPS Code of Practice places clear obligations on all coaches.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
Only because a country import went home.
Could you ask your source whether the absence of afternoon tea following the SGS TSC 1st XI game was payback for the standoff? I am told it is not an obligation following 50 over games but is, nonetheless, usually supplied.

Perhaps TSC is still waiting on the arrivals of new a number of new enrolments from Junior MasterChef - all on Home Economics Bursaries...

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Only because a country import went home.
Could you ask your source whether the absence of afternoon tea following the SGS TSC 1st XI game was payback for the standoff? I am told it is not an obligation following 50 over games but is, nonetheless, usually supplied.
It is because the catering staff have to clean the hyperbolic :) chamber. Thus no one else knows how the kitchen operates.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Neither The scots basketball convenor or coaches showed up for speeches and lunch after 1sts and 2nds games.

He's recruited an all star team, and he still can't win. Given the goal of world dominance at TSC, he'd be under a bit of pressure I'd imagine.
If the guff coming from @vindictam is on the money, the pressure would be bigger than the world domination they are aiming at.
Saturdays Herald still has the positions vacant for these schools doesn't it?

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
If the guff coming from @vindictam is on the money, the pressure would be bigger than the world domination they are aiming at.
Saturdays Herald still has the positions vacant for these schools doesn't it?
I wonder how many of the 61 will be appearing in 1st and 2nd XV this year?
an Apple a day keeps the doctor away. What does this mean - maybe if we believe in something the solution is simpler than we think. No excuses, hard work, believe in yourself and those around you, and you will be amazed at your results- and thats shore (sure) to make you happy no matter what result you end up with. Doesn't it sound sweet, give it a go ! A good balance of learning- academic, sport, music, art ect with religion - get balance right and its an Apple a day, for successful living

dodgyknee

Allen Oxlade (6)
] two immediate issues I see is needing a bigger trophy cabinet, and how can he be cross at kids when they just keep smiling.

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
I think SGS have a spare trophy cabinet. May want a Spray and Wipe as it hasn't been used for a while.

That's funny, I must have misheard the SGS curriculum master at last night's presentation where they said SGS had 6 kids top the state in different subjects. And, by my reckoning, I think the forward pack in the SGS firsts last year got 30 band 6's. They must be broken hearted by your clever put downs.

Did you fail an entrance exam to Grammar? If you want to continue your rants, why dont you come to the Western touchline during a Grammar firsts game this year and call out my meme. We can then have a constructive one on one debate and hopefully work through your issues.

BTW, the level of your wit is such that I assume using Spray and Wipe is an integral part of your work day.

Status
Not open for further replies.