• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Schoolboy soccer ⚽️

OffPutPlayer

Bob McCowan (2)
Results from GPS plate:

Group 1:
1. Newington - 9
2. Joeys - 4
3. Shore - 3
4. View - 1

Group 2:
High - 5
Scots - 4
Kings - 3
Grammar - 2

OffPutPlayer

Bob McCowan (2)
predictions for each of the games?
Newington v High: 2-0 Newington. High have had a strong defence during Plate, however, I think the foundational strength of Newington will edge out High.
Joeys v Scots: 2-0 Scots. Scots have one of the strongest squads this year, who I think will edge out a Joeys team who've lost much of their backbone.
Shore v Kings: Kings 2-1. Kings, through the power of a strong frontline certainly have the ability to beat a more even Shore team.
View v Grammar: Grammar 3-1. Grammar, having only lost one game and drew two, seem to have a much stronger team than a View team that only scored one goal in preliminary rounds.

Kingsontop

Bob McCowan (2)
Newington v High 2-0 I agree. The passion of Sydney Boys will be no match for the technical capabilities of a strong Newington side full with NPL talent. Scots Joeys 1-1. I think Scots have a relatively weak midfield and lack the passion of a Joeys side coming of two consecutive GPS premierships who understand the passion it takes to win. Kings Shore 1-1. Anyone's game to be won. The game will come down to Shore's capabilities to limit a dominant Kings striker and who can win 2nd balls in midfield, the games really anyone's to be won. 2-1 Grammar for the bottom of the table clash, both teams should have a point to prove off subpar plate performances in the group stage in what should be an uncharacteristically technical and unphysical GPS game. The NPL talent of Grammar should see them over the line if they can retain possession and win midfield battles with both midfields being some of the weakest in the league.

OffPutPlayer

Bob McCowan (2)
Newington v High 2-0 I agree. The passion of Sydney Boys will be no match for the technical capabilities of a strong Newington side full with NPL talent. Scots Joeys 1-1. I think Scots have a relatively weak midfield and lack the passion of a Joeys side coming of two consecutive GPS premierships who understand the passion it takes to win. Kings Shore 1-1. Anyone's game to be won. The game will come down to Shore's capabilities to limit a dominant Kings striker and who can win 2nd balls in midfield, the games really anyone's to be won. 2-1 Grammar for the bottom of the table clash, both teams should have a point to prove off subpar plate performances in the group stage in what should be an uncharacteristically technical and unphysical GPS game. The NPL talent of Grammar should see them over the line if they can retain possession and win midfield battles with both midfields being some of the weakest in the league.
May I ask, Kingsontop, what is your GPS season prediction?

Kingsontop

Bob McCowan (2)
May I ask, Kingsontop, what is your GPS season prediction?
Stella performances from Newington and Scots yesterday for me cements them in number 1 and number 2 spots, the physical presence of Scott’s and talent of Ed Lynch, Lawrence Hur and Tom Argyrides will make them a force to be reckoned with, Newingtons consistency and capabilities to finish of worse schools for me makes them the slight favourites however I can defiantly imagine Scott’s could win this year. Grammar proved that they shouldn’t be underestimated scoring inside 1 minute through left foot of Rufus Mcguinness and putting on a finishing clinic to end their plate season, if grammar can increase their physicality then they could for sure be the dark horses of this season and push into the top 3. Riverview showed a lack of heart which should be of detriment to the rest of their season and for me secures their spot as the bottom of the table scoring only one goal in their plate pre season. Sydney boys as expected put in a valiant effort but couldn’t clinche a result against a dominant newington side, however a resurgence of passion within the Sydney boys program should see some major improvements from previous seasons and they shouldn’t be a side to be underestimated. Shore had a dominant 4-1 win against kings scoring early and shutting down the talented josh Choi, proving they are a solid mid table team.

final prediction:
1. Newington
2. Scots
3. Joeys
4. Grammar
5. Sydney boys
6. Shore
7. Kings
8. Riverview

OffPutPlayer

Bob McCowan (2)
Stella performances from Newington and Scots yesterday for me cements them in number 1 and number 2 spots, the physical presence of Scott’s and talent of Ed Lynch, Lawrence Hur and Tom Argyrides will make them a force to be reckoned with, Newingtons consistency and capabilities to finish of worse schools for me makes them the slight favourites however I can defiantly imagine Scott’s could win this year. Grammar proved that they shouldn’t be underestimated scoring inside 1 minute through left foot of Rufus Mcguinness and putting on a finishing clinic to end their plate season, if grammar can increase their physicality then they could for sure be the dark horses of this season and push into the top 3. Riverview showed a lack of heart which should be of detriment to the rest of their season and for me secures their spot as the bottom of the table scoring only one goal in their plate pre season. Sydney boys as expected put in a valiant effort but couldn’t clinche a result against a dominant newington side, however a resurgence of passion within the Sydney boys program should see some major improvements from previous seasons and they shouldn’t be a side to be underestimated. Shore had a dominant 4-1 win against kings scoring early and shutting down the talented josh Choi, proving they are a solid mid table team.

final prediction:
1. Newington
2. Scots
3. Joeys
4. Grammar
5. Sydney boys
6. Shore
7. Kings
8. Riverview
I can sense Joeys bias here. Despite doing well for the previous two years, Joeys lost to Scots 4-1, a team that High (who's placed supposedly fifth) beat 2-1. Additionally, Shore seem extremely strong with very close matches during preliminary plate matches and a 4-1 defeat of Kings, they're surely above Joeys and Grammar. Grammar's performance on the weekend may be a testament to the weakness of Riverview rather than the strength of the side itself as it seems to be a team with minimal threat. My predictions are as follows:

1. Newington - simply too strong. There's no dark horse like Joeys that could dethrone such a well rounded team.
2. Scots - A very strong attack will be a problem in GPS, however, as seen against High and Kings, they have defensive instabilities this season.
3. High - boasting 4 combined GPS players, High seem to have had a great resurgence in their program going undefeated in preliminary plate rounds.
4. Shore - It seems like they greatly picked up their game this year and I'd like to see Shore going back to winning ways.
5. Grammar - The attacking presence of McGuiness and Kwan are enough to shake any GPS team, however the rest of their squad stays lacking.
6. Joeys - Unfortunately, the backbone of the winning Joeys sides in Sonny Matchett and the Barnetts are a huge loss to the Joeys program who seem to be struggling to get back on their feet.
7. Kings - With only one combined GPS player, and the lack of presence by talent Josh Choi, Kings seem to be a lot weaker than last year.
8. Riverview - As seen by the results in plate, I think Riverview will struggle this season without many key names in their squad besides Marcus Kulukovski

Kingsontop

Bob McCowan (2)
Thoughts on the GPS team and how they will go?
Liam nottage and jack Hugo seem like contentious picks at CB. The Likes of Hugo ward of grammar and Ben Hadfield from shore for me seem like better CB options. Jack Hanzis seems to have had some kings bias compared to Joeys captain josh mchut who is a much better option at cdm, in my opinion.

OnPoint

Frank Nicholson (4)
Liam nottage and jack Hugo seem like contentious picks at CB. The Likes of Hugo ward of grammar and Ben Hadfield from shore for me seem like better CB options. Jack Hanzis seems to have had some kings bias compared to Joeys captain josh mchut who is a much better option at cdm, in my opinion.
Josh M was very unlucky not to get picked. One of the best players in the Joeys vs Newington game

Phillip Barlow

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots have some lovely depth across both their 1s and 2s. Would love to see Hugo Gutteridge get a go in the 1s after that diabolical performance from the left back. Clearly not his day.

kalac99

Frank Row (1)
RW for Scots is very poor on and off the ball. Doesn't run at all, can't find a pass and only scored from a keeper spill. Would definately look for a replacement ASAP

kalac99

Frank Row (1)
Ok I’ve seen enough of these preposterous claims. There is one man who has proved week in week out he has earnt his spot in the Scots first xi. That man’s name. Irinaios Maneas
I concur. Showed passion in the game vs High and died for the badge. Shame he was sent off but his legacy will not be forgotten

Top Bottom