• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Schools Sevens Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Please forgive my ignorance at this point but I can't seem to find any information.

Are there any moves to bring Sevens Rugby into Schools. I am particularly interested in the idea of GPS/CAS/ISA Schools competing together (I obviously live in NSW)

Surely creating a Rugby Sevens as a summer sport would develop speed, skills, fitness and 1-on-1 tackling. It may help peak the interest of many an athlete to try 15-a-side the following winter.

Played as a tournament each Saturday with 3-4 games would be an ideal way to help those playing rugby and create talent recognition for the Olympics

From an administrative point of view it could be the experiment required to the rumours of cross association competition and would also allow the State schools to potentially compete on an even footing.

Thoughts or information anybody?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Scots College and St Augustines both hosted 7s tournaments in April this year. Both tournaments were attended by teams from schools outside their respective associations. Both events were a big success. From memory it was at least the second time St Augustines had hosted 7s and the fifth tournament held at Scots. Hopefully they will run again next year. Below is a review I wrote of the Scots tournament.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/kings-nz-win-scots-7s-in-thriller/

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
NSW Rugby Union today announced the dates and venues for the 2016 NSW Waratahs State Sevens Championships, to be held later this year. Three locations have been nominated to host the Championships, with the Under 15s and Under 17s tournaments scheduled to kick off in Coffs Harbour in October and Under 19s tournament to commence in November.

Both the NSW Waratahs State Under 15s and Under 17s Sevens Championships will kick off proceedings at the Coffs Harbour International Stadium, Coffs Harbour from Saturday 29th October, with finals scheduled for Sunday 30th October.

Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union will join the Hawthorne Club to host the mens and women’s NSW Waratahs Under 19s State Sevens Championships on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th November at Newcastle No.2 Sportsground, Newcastle.

The NSW Waratahs State Sevens Championships is a cornerstone of NSWRU’s Rugby Sevens Program. With Rugby Sevens taking off globally and the success of both the Australian Women’s and Men’s teams on the world stage ahead of the Rio Olympics, the NSW Rugby Sevens program has been developed to provide a clear participation pathway into the sport for every man, woman and child across the state.

The aim of the program is to partner and support existing Rugby Sevens tournaments throughout NSW and to identify and nurture current as well as emerging talent who may then be channelled into the NSW representative programs and potentially beyond, into the elite national academies.

“The 2016 NSW Waratahs State Sevens Championships will see girls and boys teams from all over NSW converge on Coffs Harbour and Newcastle to compete in this incredibly fast growing and exciting game of Sevens Rugby," said NSW Rugby’s Manager of Pathways and Education, Michael Doyle

“The tournaments will be a showpiece of the Sevens pathway which will enable NSW to continue to unearth the next Ed Jenkins or Emma Tonegato and continue the flow of NSW based players into National teams.”

“The NSW Waratahs State Sevens Championships will be fast and highly competitive but will also have the fun and excitement of Sevens tournaments from around the World in our own backyard,” said Doyle.

Head Coaching Director of the NSW Waratahs Sevens program, Francis Cullimore said the experience of playing in the NSW Waratahs State Sevens Championships can only benefit young players looking to advance in the sport.

“The Under 15, Under 17 and Under 19 State Championships gives NSW an excellent launching pad for it’s young 7s players to perform at a higher level than ever before, which in turn will improve the quality of the athlete, as well as Rugby Sevens across the State,” he said.

In the Under 17s and Under 19s age groups, the NSW Waratahs State Sevens Championship will be one of the last opportunities for NSW elite pathway coaching staff to finalise the NSW state representative team selections ahead of the 2016 National Sevens Championships, to be held later this year.

NSW currently hold both the Senior Mens and Womens Nationals Sevens Championship titles as well as both the Boys and Girls National Youth (under 17s) Sevens Championship titles.

The National Youth (Under 17s) Sevens Championship will be hosted at McGillvray Oval, University of Western Australia from the 10th-11th December, 2016.

Rugby Sevens is set to debut at the Olympics in Rio in August 2016 and at the Commonwealth Games on the Gold Coast, QLD in 2018.

NSW Waratahs Under 15 State Sevens Championships
Dates: Saturday 29th to Sunday 30th October 2016
Host: NSW Waratahs and NSW Rugby Union
Venue: Coffs Harbour International Stadium, Stadium Drive, Coffs Harbour.

NSW Waratahs Under 17 State Sevens Championships
Dates: Saturday 29th to Sunday 30th October 2016
Host: NSW Waratahs and NSW Rugby Union
Venue: Coffs Harbour International Stadium, Stadium Drive, Coffs Harbour.

Issued by NSW Rugby Union
For general enquiries about NSW Rugby Sevens please contact Michael Doyle, Manager Education and Pathways, NSWRU at mdoyle@nswrugby.com.au
For general media enquiries please contact Karen Watson at media@nswrugby.com.au

To have an opportunity to play and be selected there is a prerequisite that the player attends school. So yes it is schoolboys related.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Please forgive my ignorance at this point but I can't seem to find any information.

Are there any moves to bring Sevens Rugby into Schools. I am particularly interested in the idea of GPS/CAS/ISA Schools competing together (I obviously live in NSW)

Surely creating a Rugby Sevens as a summer sport would develop speed, skills, fitness and 1-on-1 tackling. It may help peak the interest of many an athlete to try 15-a-side the following winter.

Played as a tournament each Saturday with 3-4 games would be an ideal way to help those playing rugby and create talent recognition for the Olympics

From an administrative point of view it could be the experiment required to the rumours of cross association competition and would also allow the State schools to potentially compete on an even footing.

Thoughts or information anybody?

I heard a good rumour recently and i hope it builds to get some good traction.
On the beaches there are 3 school campuses.
Northern Beaches.
Pittwater
Forest
Term 1 being 7's, then followed by term 2 being 15's in a tri nation format, each campus playing 2 home games.

What is also great is that the Northern Beaches Campus is putting a team together for the Central Coast sevens youth tournament.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
That is fantastic news about these championships, but not what I was asking about. Although the beaches seem to be on the right track.

I was wondering whether there would be a week-in-week-out 7s competition for schools. from u13 - opens. Or even younger if primary schools were to be involved.

I'm talking about a summer sport. Just like cricket, basketball, rowing etc. While at school level, good athletes tend to excel at all sports, it's been shown by successive failures of 15s stars, 7s is a completely different animal. Unearthing the stars for this Olympic and (to be realistic) very commercially viable sport should be important.

Australian thinking about one off championships needs to change if we're going to get better. The simple fact is, regardless of what you do in life, but in sport particularly, the more you do something and get experience, the better you become.

Plus 7s is so much fun

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
That is fantastic news about these championships, but not what I was asking about. Although the beaches seem to be on the right track.

I was wondering whether there would be a week-in-week-out 7s competition for schools. from u13 - opens. Or even younger if primary schools were to be involved.

I'm talking about a summer sport. Just like cricket, basketball, rowing etc. While at school level, good athletes tend to excel at all sports, it's been shown by successive failures of 15s stars, 7s is a completely different animal. Unearthing the stars for this Olympic and (to be realistic) very commercially viable sport should be important.

Australian thinking about one off championships needs to change if we're going to get better. The simple fact is, regardless of what you do in life, but in sport particularly, the more you do something and get experience, the better you become.

Plus 7s is so much fun

My understanding is no at present.
Believe there are 15 schools within the 3 campuses.
Whilst geared towards the opens (yr 11, and 12), it is a step in the right direction.
More people that know about it, the more people talk about it the more traction it gets.

I believe this is being initiated by the schools and not NSWRugby, hoping a couple of DOs join in and help build.

With regards to the Primary, that is driven by PSSA. I'm rightly ticked of at our local school, a head mistress that provides choir, band, chess club, dance etc and has blocked any suggestion of various forms of sport. No understanding that boys may be better in the classrooom if they are enjoying school and being active.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Thanks DB. The cynic in me suggests NSW Rugby's lack of involvement is why it is going forward.

For the Private Schools it seems a little odd. With a history in Rugby and a mechanisms to establish any competition through Association Committees (so much easier than dealing with so many state schools and the education bureaucracy) surely they could do this fairly quickly.

Maybe someone is looking into it but keeping it close to the vest for now.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)

Plus 7s is so much fun

Yeah not sure about school v school but there are 5 lead up tournaments prior to NSW 7s champs for schoolboys, the first to be played at Bowral on 1st October, so not just a one off .

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
there are 5 lead up tournaments prior to NSW 7s champs for schoolboys, the first to be played at Bowral on 1st October, so not just a one off .

NSW Youth 7s have announced the squads to compete in the Southern Highlands 7s tournament on 1 October.

Player’s Name and school (where known).

Team Blue

Nathan Lawson, Newington

Julian Heaven, St Josephs College Hunters Hill

Nick Dolly, Marian Catholic College

Harry Turner, Epping Boys HS

Tom Woodcock, Knox

Ben Duckworth, Kings

Will Harrison, Marcellin College

Ryley Angles-Corke, St Josephs College Hunters Hill

Mike Pavlakis, Knox

Triston Reilly, St Josephs College Hunters Hill

Jonny Mitsias, Marcellin College

Tom Glascott, Riverview

Team White

Bailey Lamb, Edmund Rice

Ollie Schmidt-Uiilie, St Patricks Strathfield

Alphonso Pyne, Edmund Rice

Chad Shipton, School ?

Aaron Cairns, Patrician Brothers Fairfield

Hugh Roberts, St Pius

Wyatt Gavin, School ?

Matt Minogue, Kings

Tyreese Figota, School? Club Blacktown

Keiran Mundine, St Augustines

Isaac?, School ?

Nathan Prassopolous, School ?

If anyone can fill in the blanks re a few of the players and their schools, that would be great.

Best of luck to all participants

Tractor

Bob McCowan (2)
Oscar Schmidt-Uili goes to St Pat's, Strathfield.
I note that several squad players are missing from these lists.
I think they are all in the NSW Schools u16 team which flies out to NZ on 2nd October for an 8-day tour - including Dom Easy, Cooper Chambers, and possibly a couple of others.

Blazing Saddles

Sydney Middleton (9)
There is a trial this morning at Knox for the Waratahs Under 19s. They play a Fijian side at 10am.

I read the trials for the NSW under 19 selections will be held at Newcastle?
Newcastle Hunter Rugby Union will join the Hawthorne Club to host the mens and women’s NSW Waratahs Under 19s State Sevens Championships on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th November at Newcastle No.2 Sportsground, Newcastle.

Is this information incorrect as a selection tournament for the Waratahs 19's given your post that the Waratahs 19s are already trialling?

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)

NSW Youth 7s have announced the squads to compete in the Southern Highlands 7s tournament on 1 October.[/

Does anyone know how and when these players were selected for these squads. My understanding is they were selected a few weeks ago prior to any trials (including the Waratahs 7s Discovery days) which seems to defeat the purpose of having trials and Discovery days

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Does anyone know how and when these players were selected for these squads. My understanding is they were selected a few weeks ago prior to any trials

My understanding is that these are players that were talent identified from various championships such as NSWJRU State Champs, NSW Invitational and NSW Schools Champs.

It is a talent development program managed by NSW Waratahs 7s. I believe it is not the only pathway into the NSW 7s team. For example, the Waratah 7s Discovery Days and the NSW Sevens Championships in Coffs Harbour 29 - 30 October are also part of determining who represents NSW at the National Championships in Perth in December.

Note it has now been changed to 3 squads for Bowral not 2 and doesn't include boys on tour in NZ or out injured.

Given that there would be at least 40 players involved, there will be a number of players in the programme who are learning to play the game and may be part of the programme in the hope of gaining higher honours in the years ahead.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
http://bowralrugby.com.au/2016-southern-highlands-7s/

The below boys were team NSWRU WHITE u17's that took out the Southern Highlands ú18 7s winning the final 36-0 .

Nathan Lawson, Newington
Julian Heaven, St Josephs College Hunters Hill
Nick Dolly, Marian Catholic College
Harry Turner, Epping Boys HS
Tom Woodcock, Knox
Ben Duckworth, Kings
Will Harrison, Marcellin College
Ryley Angles-Corke, St Josephs College Hunters Hill
Mike Pavlakis, Knox
Triston Reilly, St Josephs College Hunters Hill
Jonny Mitsias, Marcellin College
Tom Glascott, Riverview

Capture.JPG

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Next 7s tournament for u17's - Central Coast 7s 9:00am Friday 21 October 2016 at Wyong Rugby League Fields, Kanwal -

Capture.JPG

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Congratulations to the following boys selected to represent NSW Schoolboys 7s at Central Coast 7s from Friday

Matt Stead Trinity
Harry Turner Epping Boys H/S
Max Swanenberg St Josephs College
Ben Duckworth Kings
Tom Woodcock Knox
Mike Pavlakis Knox
Dom Easy Riverview
Jake Styles trinity
Matt Dutallis Riverview
Thomas Yasmin Scots
Harry O'leary school?
James Westbury St Aloysius

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Queensland Youth Boys Sevens preliminary squad named ahead of National Championships

A preliminary Queensland Youth Boys Sevens squad has been named, from which two Queensland sides will be picked to compete at this year’s National Championships.

The National Championships will take place in Perth the weekend of the 10th and 11th of December, and will see four teams from Queensland compete across the Youth Boys and Youth Girls divisions.

The final two teams, Queensland Red and Queensland White, will be selected following these two sessions and the culmination of the Townsville Teenage Sevens carnival.

QUEENSLAND YOUTH BOYS PRELIMINARY TRAINING SQUAD

Alexander Moses - NoosaSt. Andrews Anglican College
Alexander Gow -Sunshine Coast Grammar School
Anrich Briel - Scots PGC, Warwick
Ashley Marsh - Helensvale SHS
Brandt Quinn -Iona college
Bryce Catchpole -St Michaels College
ByronRalston - St Joseph's College Gregroy Terrace
CameronHoward - St Joseph's College Gregory Terrace
Cedric Paniani -Beenleigh high
CooperWhiteside -Ipswich Grammar School
ElijahAnderson -St Brendans College