• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
Yeah they could have but I am convinced they have been grooming him for the 8 gig the whole time. Whether that is or isn't the case, I'm not sure that throwing him in for a debut at 6 in the first Bledisloe, or the England series for that matter, after a full super season playing lock would have been to anyone's benefit.

Actually I was thinking as far back as last year alternating or subbing Fardy at 6.
Then use him at 8 as well if needed instead of McCalman.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Actually I was thinking as far back as last year alternating or subbing Fardy at 6.
Then use him at 8 as well if needed instead of McCalman.

Yeah OK fair enough, never many debutantes in a World Cup year though. Not just here, all tier 1 nations. Plus Fardy was good last year and McCalman was adequate cover for 8.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
At least this is a daytime game - 2.30pm Edinburgh time. A bit of rain there on Friday and forecast is for a fine day on Saturday. Temperature should be hovering around a balmy 10 degrees about kick off time.:eek: (it's meant to be 5 degrees at 3pm on Friday)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If a player's ego is so fragile that he can be hurt by being picked on the bench he is in the wrong job.

This is where the All Blacks have it nailed. Nobody owns a national jersey. It is the highest honour in the game to be handed your match day jersey, no matter the number. It's yours for the day. After the game, give it back.

Make the most of every opportunity, it might be your last.
As opposed to other countries where they own their jerseys.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We are lucky to have two experienced test class half backs. Phipps is the one that can really have an influential impact on the game from the bench by changing the pace. It makes sense to play them like this.

T

Tip

Would be a tough gig being a pro sportsperson!
Everyone sticks the boot into Will Skelton because he is entirely unprofessional in his conduct off the field.

It's been 3 years straight of him being 10 kilo's overweight come pre-season. He's showed so much promise and has had so many opportunities afforded to him but has delivered so little.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
At least this is a daytime game - 2.30pm Edinburgh time. A bit of rain there on Friday and forecast is for a fine day on Saturday. Temperature should be hovering around a balmy 10 degrees about kick off time.:eek: (it's meant to be 5 degrees at 3pm on Friday)

At least it's during "daylight". Love the Saturday Sunday afternoon games. Should be more of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Everyone sticks the boot into Will Skelton because he is entirely unprofessional in his conduct off the field.

It's been 3 years straight of him being 10 kilo's overweight come pre-season. He's showed so much promise and has had so many opportunities afforded to him but has delivered so little.

And he deserves some credit for doing something about it. I don't argue that he should have done something about it earlier. He was born with giant genes, that's not his fault, but it's those same genes that make him an appealing prospect for many coaches. He's not a natural athlete though, he has to make himself one. He has probably taken his size for granted but he's only 24 and if he is finally doing something about his weight and turning fully professional, it's not too late and he deserves some credit for that and to be given a chance. He's still younger than our two new starting locks.

Players like Cooper and Beale are the opposite. They are naturally gifted athletes and don't have to try very hard. But they aren't very big.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Link dropped Skelton once on the basis of not being fit. At the time Cheika's response was petulant "well he was fit when he left us, what are they doing to them in the WBs?"

Can be funny in the swings and round abouts. If he's ready and he's fit I'm all for it. But I'd be irritated if something starting distracting the building combo of Coleman and Arnold. (And Timani.)

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Link dropped Skelton once on the basis of not being fit. At the time Cheika's response was petulant "well he was fit when he left us, what are they doing to them in the WBs?"

Can be funny in the swings and round abouts. If he's ready and he's fit I'm all for it. But I'd be irritated if something starting distracting the building combo of Coleman and Arnold. (And Timani.)

Politicking.

That's an interesting point though, I don't really want anything to disrupt than combo at the moment either, but just 'what if'.. It would be a nice problem to have.

T

Train Without a Station

Oh well if Skelton in on a diet now. That changes everything!

All I see is excuse making. Unless Skelton has some sort of genetic condition that supersedes the formula of calories in vs calories burned I don't see what his genetics have to do with anything.

What Skelton has suffered from is a "lack of giving enough of a fuck". That maybe working hard at training, or more likely may be sticking to the required nutrition.

This isn't some dark art. This shit is readily available before we consider the fact that as a professional athlete he has access to professionals to monitor and guide his intake. Plenty of young people have metobolisms that require close monitoring to stay lean. Some are able to control this and get to bodybuilding condition. All Skelton is required to do is reduce superfluous and useless weight.

Then there's the fact that Will does not have the issue that developing athletes have of needing to work to maintain his size. He doesn't have to worry about the prospect of undereating, something that players like Sean McMahon do have to.

The reason why he has had these issues are his own motivation and discipline.

Talking about genetics and shit ignores that those are exactly what sees him selected over others. Don't go hiding him behind them now.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)

All I see is excuse making. Unless Skelton has some sort of genetic condition that supersedes the formula of calories in vs calories burned I don't see what his genetics have to do with anything.

What Skelton has suffered from is a "lack of giving enough of a fuck". That maybe working hard at training, or more likely may be sticking to the required nutrition.

This isn't some dark art. This shit is readily available before we consider the fact that as a professional athlete he has access to professionals to monitor and guide his intake. Plenty of young people have metobolisms that require close monitoring to stay lean. Some are able to control this and get to bodybuilding condition. All Skelton is required to do is reduce superfluous and useless weight.

Then there's the fact that Will does not have the issue that developing athletes have of needing to work to maintain his size. He doesn't have to worry about the prospect of undereating, something that players like Sean McMahon do have to.

Talking about genetics and shit ignores that those are exactly what sees him selected over others. Don't go hiding him behind them now.
Sounds like he has come a long way.
It could be a good idea to judge him after he has played this weekend.
If he's got no line out he may never make the 23 unless there is a 6:2 bench.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Or maybe when he got his first major professional injury and he suffered from the black dog and all those "dark arts" were lost in malaise

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Sounds like he has come a long way.
It could be a good idea to judge him after he has played this weekend.
If he's got no line out he may never make the 23 unless there is a 6:2 bench.

I think most of the judgements being made are about the lack of form to warrant his selection. On the form he's shown over the past year, he is lucky to get a NRC gig, let alone either Super Rugby or Test match.

However, he now has another chance to prove he belongs. If he fails again, how many more chances does he deserve?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I think most of the judgements being made are about the lack of form to warrant his selection. On the form he's shown over the past year, he is lucky to get a NRC gig, let alone either Super Rugby or Test match.

However, he now has another chance to prove he belongs. If he fails again, how many more chances does he deserve?
If I was privvy to any of the training data kept on each of the players then I could possibly answer your question.
Question for you.
If he is given 20 minutes, what would you like him to achieve?

Status
Not open for further replies.