• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Close twolims.

Just a comment on the people who note that it is an issue not being direct and that you need to be direct to break the line, that it cramps outside runners, etc.

Clearly you don't and clearly it doesn't as Foley showed.

What it does show (or not show, but was is integral in the play) is that you need a "straightener" in the attack. And I'm not talking about your girlfriend's GHD (or yours if you take particular care with your own hair). In this case it's Folau.

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)
what you need most is variation though.

Use the same moves and patterns and analyse and planning will beat your attack.

Variation in running by the 10 direct and sideways. Variation in the 10 in outside and inside passes.

Variation in the 10 in use of kicks behind rushing defence.

Variation in the 10 of high kicks for players like DHP and Folau to contest.

If not the 10 then someone needs to be doing these things.

That distinct lack of variation was a major reason the wallabies struggled in attack and could not convert the possession in the 22 into more tries.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
what you need most is variation though.

Use the same moves and patterns and analyse and planning will beat your attack.

Variation in running by the 10 direct and sideways. Variation in the 10 in outside and inside passes.

Variation in the 10 in use of kicks behind rushing defence.

Variation in the 10 of high kicks for players like DHP and Folau to contest.

If not the 10 then someone needs to be doing these things.

That distinct lack of variation was a major reason the wallabies struggled in attack and could not convert the possession in the 22 into more tries.

These thoughts always bring me back to what if's. What if Beale never got injured. Form 12 in Australia (super rugby?) who could cover fullback, 10 and wing at a stretch. Capable of providing a creative spark where the 10 is lacking. Passing and running game. Could actually defend the 12 channel as well.

T

Train Without a Station

Beale never defended in the 12 channel.

It doesn't create a problem that wasn't there, as Giteau and Foley never did. But it's a negative compared to a Hodge or Kerevi at 12.

T

Train Without a Station

No more capable than other players that are moved out of the line (Cooper, Foley, Giteau).

I just looked. He certainly improved his defensive completion rate in 2016.

But then was improved from previously around 66% to 76%. Foley is 75% for reference.

He's no more of an option to defend in the line than the other players that Grey and Cheika choose to shield.

As I said this does not pose a new problem, as over the last 2 years that has been used in more tests than it has not.

If anything Beale would be an option to play 15 and Folau wing to allow a Kerevi/Kuridrani type midfield.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Just a note I was watching the highlights from the game last night.

For Hodge's try Foley takes the ball and runs completely sideways - at 90 degrees to the try line.

I was completely shocked to see sideways running result in breaking the line and a try, as I was told it does not and you have to always be direct....

The No 10 running sideways then requires one or two straight runners inside and outside. That is one of Hodge's strengths. He is a very straight runner and if put into a gap makes excellent territory or even to the try line.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It's also not OK where the only reason for it is constrained passing skills needing to reduce the distance of the pass. This does simply slow the move down and give time to the defence.

It's also poor when the reason is a lack of ideas what to do next, or no-one is ready.

Where this is poor or not, is also related to the defence system - a rush defence provides different requirements to a sliding defence.

Foley having achieved something on this occasion, or even on multiple others, does not make "crabbing" a necessary good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.