• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
100%.

I think the only lineout we lost was a fumble, not a jumping or throwing issue, and we even stole one of theirs. McMahon has a couple of inches on Poey and plays a more traditional 6 role and I'm happy to see both of Fardy and Mumm phased out of test rugby over the next couple of seasons *EDIT* on current form

I thought a small number of Moore's throws were too low/flat and if the Welsh had defended were a guaranteed loss. Wont work against Springboks, Kiwis, English possibly Ireland.

We continue to improve in the line out, though. Incremental steps. I would not be particularly upset about the last configuration of jumpers against the Scots but lets hope it continues to improve before we face England.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck it - it is a Grand Slam

Best players start. Team from last week start with exception of Moore. Think his scrummaging and throws are off.

Only 4 to go !

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I would ideally like to rest Moore at some stage throughout the tour but we literally can't at the moment.

Hopefully Hanson can either recover quickly or we can bring Reidy into the squad.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I would ideally like to rest Moore at some stage throughout the tour but we literally can't at the moment.

Hopefully Hanson can either recover quickly or we can bring Reidy into the squad.

We can rest him on the bench.

Hanson supposed to be OK after 2 weeks (unbelievable)

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

Thought Ready got called into the squad as soon as Hanson fractured his jaw. Be bold going through the tour with just two fit props.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I draw your attention to the weather forecast: 50% chance of rain, frigging cold.

Throw in some Scottish pluck, and a belief we're there for the taking if they don't make the same mistakes Wales did, and it can only point to one conclusion:

Monster the bastards.

Pick the same team as this week, except for the injuries and a bit of bench rotation, then gauge the needs of the player minutes. Get moving forward and let the backs have their fun.

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Arnold
5 Coleman
6 Fardy (for Pocock)
7 Hooper
8 Timani
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Speight
12 Hodge
13 TK
14 DHP
15 Folau

16 Latu
17 Slipper
18 AAA/Robertson
19 Simmons
20 McMahon (on for Hooper at some point)
21 Genia
22 Cooper (more minutes to shut Scotland down with his boot)
23 Naivalu

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Arnold, Coleman and Timani all need to start and play in the same positions they were against Wales. All three of them are still very much wet behind the ears at test level and need as much game time as possible.

I think they could go into this test with starting only one of Hooper or Pocock, but with the other on the bench.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So now, it appears Timani is going quite well.

So when Mumm comes back this week (as most would expect Chek to do) does Chek pick Hooper at 7, Timani at 8 or Poey to 7, Timani at 8, or Hooper at 7 Pocock to 8 etc

I think Timani has shown enough to stay at 8 so I wonder which of Poey or Hoops will be pined (assuming Mumm gets the gig at 6)

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pocock broken jaw? Didn't read about that. If that's true McMahon to 7 and Hooper on the bench but to run on only if necessary, McMahon could do with a good gallop.

Something's wrong with Sio, either physically or technically. Maybe a niggle's affecting his technique. Take a week off, Scott, and rest whatever it is, or have some private lessons with Mario to address your over-reaching.
He is vulnerable to being bound on the arm

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Would love to see Genia in for Phipps and McMahon for Pocock, they would be great in's.

Really not impressed with Speight, and Naivalu hasn't looked that good off the bench, albeit limited opportunities.

I know he is not in the squad but does anyone else think that Morahan would be a much better fit on the wing for this backline?

Hopefully Korobete can be the answer

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Would love to see Genia in for Phipps and McMahon for Pocock, they would be great in's.

Really not impressed with Speight, and Naivalu hasn't looked that good off the bench, albeit limited opportunities.

I know he is not in the squad but does anyone else think that Morahan would be a much better fit on the wing for this backline?

I would keep the same halves as last week. Went pretty well I thought. Why change something that is working ?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

In attack, sure. But the other 50% (or 30% against Wales!) of the time, is the issue.

He's about as good a defender as DHP, which is to say not good enough to play in the line, and one of them would have to do it if they were both on the field.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Overall, I hope we keep the team structure as it is with some minor tinkering. I would schedule the pack finishers for 50 minute mark and go to a 6:2 bench split so that the key forwards are well rested. Its a long tour that just gets better quality opposition every week and we need our best players not to be fatigued for Ireland/England.

I would therefore go with:

1. Sio, 2. Moore, 3. Kepu

4. Arnold, 5. Coleman,

6. Pocock (if not concussed), 7. Hooper, 8. Timani,

9. Genia, 10. Cooper,

12. Hodge, 13. Kuridrani

11, DHP, 15. Folau, 14. Naivalu

16. Latu, 17. Slipper, 18. Robertson (rotating roughly equal finishing props)

19. Simmons (maybe Skelton), 20. Mumm, 21. McMahon

22. Phipps, 23. Foley

I'd agree except seriously consider dropping Slipper. He hasn't been right since his injury and has been dished in the scrums far too often this year. Genia to bench with Cooper. Why change after that performance?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nah I think start Genia, cooler head and decision maker early on. Plus he is in superb form.

Phipps will up the tempo when he comes on later in the match which will help avoid dropping the tempo late in the game. Which has been a notable weakness of ours.

No use having a half to move the ball quickly if 90% of the side is too knackered to be in position to accept the pass. Plus Genia's only real strength over Phipps is his running game, which would be better against a tiring defence.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
Why change after that performance?
Purely workload management.

It's either going to have to be against Scotland or France, unless we plan to run a very tired team against England, having played four tests in four weeks at the end of a long season, including fronting up from a resurgent Ireland the week before, who will throw everything at us.

That's a grueling schedule, arguably as much as the World Cup was, because we've played more tests this year.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The only changes I would consider making for Scotland are
Genia to 9, Phipps to Bench
If Pocock is out with concussion Fardy comes in (I thought he was solid last game. Competed hard a breakdown, gave away an unlucky penalty where the Welshmen retreated rather than get belted so Fards fell over. Will be better for the run). McMahon to the bench
Quade to get a few more minutes (~20 if the game allows it)

That's it. I may have wanted to give Hooper a rest and let Pocock run at 7 but that can be next week if all goes well.

Consistency for the guys needing to build combinations (the tight 5, 10-12) is critical.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
No use having a half to move the ball quickly if 90% of the side is too knackered to be in position to accept the pass. Plus Genia's only real strength over Phipps is his running game, which would be better against a tiring defence.
Genia does have a better running game but he also has a better pass, has a better rugby game and doesn't give away stupid penalties.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.