• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Beg to differ, Hodge's try also " ultimately won the game" and Foley's kicking "ultimately won the game" .... always have had a problem with a single incident 'winning a game' unless it is a game changing moment, yours truly, mark

Generally agree, but when the try is scored in tha last 5 minutes and takes the score from behind to in front, and there is no other scoring in the game, I believe it is a reasonable description in this case.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We won. Always nice to see a win. First try was a beauty. Our attack is starting to look slick at times but then poor handling/passing behind the man/pushed passes let us down.

Few notably poor performances for me:
Genia - Didn't come back firing like he needed to
TK - apart from the winning try was a bit of nothing in attack, not his usual self on defence
Foley - horrible defensively getting bounced of numerous tackles (I can forgive him for that being a little 10 but still not great too see) but I didn't see anything on attack either, again kicked poorly.
Speight - lots of errors early and again nothing on attack - Must be very very close to playing himself our of contention.

Skelton - WTF. a stupid penalty after the whistle. I don't understand what he was trying to achieve. It was a zero reward extremely high risk play. At least have a purpose to cynical play, he had none.

It is no surprise to me that our attack looks dire when both halves aren't firing.

But what is the most shocking for me, WHAT IS WITH OUR USE OF THE BENCH?

Mumm - when a lock is already injured why is he brought on so early? Was Arnold injured too?
Skelton - straight away weakened our line-out. Should never replace a jumping option.
Phipps/Cooper - I was very unimpressed with our halves tonight and thought both/either of these guys should have been brought on much much earlier.

Also. WHY THE FCK IS FOLEY STILL CLEARANCE KICKING WHEN HODGE IS THERE?

Sure we won, by the players playing there hearts out, but strategies and decision making are blowing my mind.

Positive: Our attack when firing is absolutely beautiful. We WON! Thank god we won! Tough fought win in the end.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Beg to differ, Hodge's try also " ultimately won the game" and Foley's kicking "ultimately won the game" .... always have had a problem with a single incident 'winning a game' unless it is a game changing moment, yours truly, mark
Yeah and if Hodge had of screwed that he would have been blasted for not passing to Speight.. TK didnt stuff the try neither did Hodge..

not really directed at you

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kev

Herbert Moran (7)
Probably going to get flak for this but I don't think Hodge is much better than Foley. Sure he has a huge distance advantage but failed to find touch which led to a Scotland try (although TK's missed tackle clearly didn't help). Also let's not forget that one in bled 3.

G

galumay

Well the Wallabies got away with that one, i guess on tours like this you are likely to have at least one crap game, lets hope that was it for the Wallabies. To be outcored in tries by a team as weak as Scotland is shameful, to have failed to convert so many opportunities in attack, very sloppy.

Scottish defnce was good, but not that good. Wallabies got opened up liek a can of worms a couple of times, should never have let Scotland score that many points.

The pleasing thing is that is a game that would have definitely slipped away in previous times, the grit to hang in and finally find a way past Scotland was admirable.

Much as I am Skelton fan, another bloody brain explosion may be one too many for Cheika's patience. It was all the more obvious because all the other numpties seem to have removed the totally stupid part of their games - I think that was the Wallabies only penalty from a stupid decision.

I was hoping for an improvement from last week, building into the games against the better NH sides, if they play like that again they will be a long way on the wrong end of the scoreboard.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If we hadn't won this game it would have been due to own error - too many forced passes, dropped balls and stupid errors.

Australia dominated Scotland. The Scots were courageous in defence, but apart from a few moments the Wallabies really dominated the game.

Execution was a 3/10 though and it nearly cost us the test.

I disagree with the premise that Aus dominated Scotland, I thought both sides had their moments and Aus's the forced passes, dropped balls and stupid errors was down to excellent work from Scotland

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Can't be too often in recent history that we are outscored 3 tries to 2 and still win.

Tackle stats.
Simmons 14
Moore 13
Pocock 13
Hooper 11
Kurindrani 10
Arnold 10

Hooper 3 misses
Simmons 2
Foley 2 (4 made)

Forwards in attack
Pocock 14
Simmons 10
Timani 9
Moore 9
Hooper 7
Arnold 5

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The reason Hodge doesn't taking clearing kicks is because he's way slower to kick and whilst he can belt the fuck out of it, can't really direct it at all.

Also, for TK's missed tackle. Someone mentioned it was equally DHP's fault. Not a chance, as soon as TK leaves the line DHP is forced into either trying to cover two men if he misses (which he did) or stick to his man. Once TK flops off like a fish DHP has two men and has to make a very difficult covering tackle on his inside. TKs fault all day.

T

TOCC

I disagree with the premise that Aus dominated Scotland, I thought both sides had their moments and Aus's the forced passes, dropped balls and stupid errors was down to excellent work from Scotland

I don't understand this trend of excusing poor decisions/execution as simply 'excellent work' from the opposition, some of those forced passes were simply not on, and it wasn't a case of an isolated attacker worried about been turned over, in all cases(Genia, Folau x 3 and Foley) they had support behind them who could have secured the ball.. maybe it was excellent scramble defence, in which case the players should have recognised this and not thrown the pass.

Wallabies placed themselves under pressure by trying to play too loose when they needed to take the tackle and build pressure.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well as an almost neutral (I know I live in Oz so can't claim complete) I thought it an enjoyable test to watch. Wallabies went well as did Scotland and thought score was a good indication of game, very little in it.
My opinion on Skelton's sinbin is basically, exactly stupid type of play Skelton has done since he came on the scene for the Tahs a few years back, I not sure what he offers to team, I really feel test rugby is perhaps a step too far for him.
Seen a few comments earlier saying QC (Quade Cooper) would of suited this game, I not sure why as I thought Foley was pretty good.
As an aside I enjoyed the commentary team on Bein , James Horwill is a good comments man I thought.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)

I can't put forced offloads (Folau, Foley, even Genia's stupidly forced pass) that lead to errors down to excellent work from the opposition. Admittedly they've built up that pressure in defence, but we had long periods camped in their half with the pill.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't understand this trend of excusing poor decisions/execution as simply 'excellent work' from the opposition, some of those forced passes were simply not on, and it wasn't a case of an isolated attacker worried about been turned over, in all cases(Genia, Folau x 3 and Foley) they had support behind them who could have secured the ball.. maybe it was excellent scramble defence, in which case the players should have recognised this and not thrown the pass.

Wallabies placed themselves under pressure by trying to play too loose when they needed to take the tackle and build pressure.

Pressure creates errors

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
That was highly stressful. It was a very tough game and Scotland played well, probably better than many thought they would and certainly MUCH better than Wales did last week. The Wallabies obviously had much the same intent as last week but Scotland put us under enough pressure that our error rate increased and our line breaks and points scored decreased as a result.

A couple of observations;
- Moore had a good game again. Physical, good ref management and some nice touches in attack.
- Sio and Kepu had good duels with their opposites. Would have liked to see our 1st choice front row put the 20 yr old Scottish tightwad under more consistent pressure though, as we could have got more pay from it
- Very unfortunate to lose Coleman early. Simmons is a noticeable step down in physicality but he ran the lineout efficiently, grabbed a steal and tackled himself to a standstill. Would have capped a very solid game if he had been able to get underneath 245kg of Gray brothers to stop that try but not sure who in the world would have been able to. Should start next week.
- Dean Mumm made a good cover tackle but I think overall offers less around the ground, particularly at the breakdown, and little more in the lineout than Fardy. Fardy's involvements last week were more valuable than Mumm'sthis week by a good margin.
- Skelton did something as brainless as I have ever seen on a rugby field. An oFF (Folau Fainga'a) the ball shoulder charge after the whistle was blown. He looks fitter for sure, but he needs to go home, maintain his professional approach to his body/diet but realise that his play has been poor for longer than acceptable and he will have to work his way back via Super Rugby.
- The back row as a whole was ok, but Pocock individually was excellent. Most carries, several steals and penalties forced and tackled like a madman. Hooper was solid. Reaffirms my belief that when the going is tough (as is common against the best sides at the start of Tests) it's more important to have Pocock out there that Hooper HOWEVER how they've managed the lineout with the two of them has eased my fears that you can only start one against the best (for now at least).
- Genia played fine. The Scots just put our inside back under more pressure than the Welsh did. The quality of the catch-pass from 10-12-13 (rather than 9-10) was what stunted our attack at times. Genia's high ball work is something to behold as well.
- I'm happy with the role that Folau is playing atm. Doesn't do a huge amount of covering at 15 (only when the counter is on) and is being used effectively from 1st phase.
- Speight was quiet again. Naivalu could start, and with Naiyaravoro and Morahan to join the squad for the French BaaBaa's (and playing bloody well) I think Henry needs make way.

For France I'd be keen to see Simmons come in for injured Coleman, Mumm to wear 19 and Fardy to wear 20. Naivalu to start, Speight to bench. Cooper to get more minutes. Small changes, as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.