• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland vs Australia - Murrayfield, 8 Nov 1:15AM AEDT

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It will be interesting to see our line out dynamics when Skelton replaces a legitimate jumping lock late in the game.
Rennie will have that planned for.
The last 20 minutes or so is when the structures are breaking down. Time for some tricks in attacking lineouts, and Skelton is a superb mauler when it comes to defensive lineout work. Let the Scots win the ball, and then bash them in the tight and the open. (I hope).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I guess Latu's exclusion makes sense, in terms of getting up to speed with a new lineout system, the hooker's job is 3-4x harder than a lock who really only needs to learn his own calls/jumps or lifts whereas the hooker needs to know every single one.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That is a very strong looking pack and where we need to try and win the game. I take Qwerty's point on the breakdown, we're going to need to commit some big bodies in there to keep the ball moving. But imagine late in the game when we've got Nella and Will running the ball up the guts with Pete running off shoulders. The real potential for significant damage in the middle of the park, which excites me.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’m sure that is where we are going. Big pack, kick to the corners and strangle the Scots out of it in the first 50-60 minutes. Tackle, tackle, tackle Then open up the game late.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If anyone watched England v Tonga they'll notice the complete difference in the Eng attack when Marcus Smith comes on. We're going to need our 10-12-13 to be incredibly sharp in defence, especially moving laterally and communicating.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
who should be dropped for the Reds players? Other then maybe Tupou starting ? Please enlighten me ?
Stop being logical. Mind you, Slipper is a Red at heart. And Latu should be starting (next week), which would remove one other B.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
who should be dropped for the Reds players? Other then maybe Tupou starting ? Please enlighten me ?
There are accentuating circumstances for a few Reds players not being there admittedly -namely BPA, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Wilson and McReight. I think having the 3rd choice Brumbies hooker in the national team because he knows how to rolling maul is a bit of overkill though. Yes, I’m aware hooker is an area of weakness for us, Uelese and Kaitu’u seemed at least as worthy of developing for the future.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Full time rugby professionals on tour have a huge number of opportunities to learn and practice team skills like mauling.
Selecting forwards based on Super teams seems counterproductive to me.
It's not difficult to coach mauling skills particularly at this level. It's not like a 1/2-5/8 combination that improves with time spent in the crucible of the Test arena.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So you all think that Rennie would select a worse player because his new forward coach.. Coached him at the Brumbies ? I call bullshit. And if we are going to say McKellars the reason less Reds are selected maybe we should say his also the reason we have won 5 in a row..

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And yet it was so funny the 100-odd times the old "Too many Tahs" trope was knocked out? Not so much umbrage from anyone then. Something for people to think about.