• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrum Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
G&Gers,

Does any body here have a good knowledge about scrum machines?

Some details that would be handy to me include:
  • Different types/models
  • Advantages V Disadvantages of the models
  • Best and worst bang for your buck
  • and anything else you could think of
Cheers.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, the French scrum machine is very cool but like you I live in the real world. Not one where I can get specially skilled engineers.

I showed that video to a mother at my son's school (not a very successful rugby school at the moment) and she decided that the women's association was going to buy one and donate it to the school. I explained to her that I thought the entire french aerospace industry (an oxymoron - using industry in any sentence in which the word French appears?) had devoted years to building it.
She was only slightly deterred.
You gotta aim high.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In my experience I've found enforcer to be a heap better than silver fern. Are they the only two brands on offer on our shores?
That silver fern looks only marginally better than the ones they had in the 70's and 80's.
I think the wallabies used to use it - but stood on the platform with the wheels for real game simulation...boom tish

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Cheers again Jets.

Is there any clear advantage of sled V wheels or is it just preference? What's the difference? Transportability?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I guess it comes down to preference. We use the scrum machine for preseason and early season mainly then do almost exclusively live scrums. These range from 2v1, 3v3, 5v5 and 8v8. They are done at or above match intensity to overemphasise technical issues.
The players are always hesitant when we transition away from the scrum machine but you can see from match play that it has a big improvement in results. Things live early engagements are cut down.
We've also used a lot of video analysis by way of a swimpro hooked up to a portable plasma on a 10 second delay or an ipad to give the players instant visual feedback. I know Scott Allen has spoken about doing scrums under the goal posts with a camera attached to the crossbar as a way of filming the scrums on a podslam in the past.
Who do you need the scrum machine for? Just for the en_force_er backyard or your local club?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We had one of the enforcer ones at our club. We upgraded from sled to wheels when we got it IIRC. The wheels just made it easier to put away in the shed after use. The wheels were not in use while you were packing scrums on it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We had one of the enforcer ones at our club. We upgraded from sled to wheels when we got it IIRC. The wheels just made it easier to put away in the shed after use. The wheels were not in use while you were packing scrums on it.
No wonder our scrum has been weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.