• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrum Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I guess it comes down to preference. We use the scrum machine for preseason and early season mainly then do almost exclusively live scrums. These range from 2v1, 3v3, 5v5 and 8v8. They are done at or above match intensity to overemphasise technical issues.
The players are always hesitant when we transition away from the scrum machine but you can see from match play that it has a big improvement in results. Things live early engagements are cut down.
We've also used a lot of video analysis by way of a swimpro hooked up to a portable plasma on a 10 second delay or an ipad to give the players instant visual feedback. I know Scott Allen has spoken about doing scrums under the goal posts with a camera attached to the crossbar as a way of filming the scrums on a podslam in the past.
Who do you need the scrum machine for? Just for the en_force_er backyard or your local club?

As an young coach I'd love to pick your brain some time Jets.

Obviously I prefer and do run contested sessions but there's difficulties with them sometimes at a junior level, like keeping the whole pack engaged while you focus on specific elements. You can't ask the loosies, for example to go run their own drill for a while because they will just end up kicking the ball around.

A scrum machine is just rightfully or wrongfully something that every club is expected to have.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Some cheaper options

scrum_sleds.jpg

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
We're getting a new Enforcer Pro. It will make things easier than the old Dominator that we currently have.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
We're getting a new Enforcer Pro. It will make things easier than the old Dominator that we currently have.

The biggest strength about the Enforcer is it's so easy to move around pre and post training. You could easily do it by yourself.

Nothing is worse than having to move a big chuck of metal 80m with 2 or 3 blokes after training because everyone bailed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It gives the backrowers something to do at scrum training as they can easily move it themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.