• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scrum tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Not specifically on the new laws, but related, I hope our No 8 (Mowen esp) refrains from trying to pick the ball out of the scrum if our scrum is going backwards. No problem if it is moving forwards, but I am less than happy seeing the number 8 picking up the ball with the opposition No 9 all over him.
soooooo agree especially when they do it 10 metres out from their own line

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
You used to tell the hooker which channel you wanted the ball to come out. Guess we're starting all over again.
if your an 8?....... under my chest please if you want me to control it.
Is walking the ball forward at the back still taught to number 8s ? I remember watch Gav's control back in the glory days among others then compare it to the new breed who just can't hold it in with any confidence.
Happy to see video to be proven wrong I might be watching wrong people.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You never no we could finally realise that our scrum is pretty average, will be under pressure and take measures to ensure we don't screw around with it.

Just get it out quickly.

It may be nice for decent scrums to get all fancy, but we will be under heavy pressure, channel one ball and Genia slings it like a 9 should.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wonder if teams will really practice waiting until hooker raises his foot to strike to put in big push, as hooker will no longer be operating as extra prop.

On another thing with scrums, I was amazed to see in Semi finals of Friday night comp in Brisbane, 2 of the teams that were playing each other, were there after apparently having non contesting scrums all year, and the other semi went non contesting early in game. Wonder why there a problem with developing a depth of props!

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
if your an 8?... under my chest please if you want me to control it.
Is walking the ball forward at the back still taught to number 8s ? I remember watch Gav's control back in the glory days among others then compare it to the new breed who just can't hold it in with any confidence.
Happy to see video to be proven wrong I might be watching wrong people.
What's the point when the ref calls "use it" as in the XV final?!?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Is there a "use it" rule for scrums. Can a team hold it in there indefinitely? I always thought you could.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anytime I've seen/heard the "use it" call in relation to a scrum it's been a courtesy extended by the referee, to let the team in possession know they need to get the ball out of the scrum, because if it's stays in he's almost certainly going to turn over possession.

Andrew of Koozbain

Frank Row (1)
Personally I hold little hope for a fair tussle not just in the scrum but the game given that Craig Joubert has the whistle. The new rules for the scrum and the reputation that the Wallabies have been tagged with will not help.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Anytime I've seen/heard the "use it" call in relation to a scrum it's been a courtesy extended by the referee, to let the team in possession know they need to get the ball out of the scrum, because if it's stays in he's almost certainly going to turn over possession.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks! Can anyone provide any enlightenment though in relation to whether a team 'must' clear the ball from a scrum inside a particular timeframe?

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ok that makes sense. Thanks! Can anyone provide any enlightenment though in relation to whether a team 'must' clear the ball from a scrum inside a particular timeframe?
There might be somewhere but not in the laws of rugby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)

Yes.

For some reason hardly anyone seems to know this. Dunno why.

(e)
When a scrum remains stationary and the ball does not emerge immediately a further scrum is ordered at the place of the stoppage. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession at the time of the stoppage.
(f)
When a scrum becomes stationary and does not start moving immediately, the ball must emerge immediately. If it does not a further scrum will be ordered. The ball is thrown in by the team not in possession at the time of the stoppage.
There is no official "use it" call like there is in a ruck or a maul, but the effect is the same. If the ball is stuck at the back of a stationary scrum and the ref tells you to use it then you might well be advised to do so.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes.

For some reason hardly anyone seems to know this. Dunno why.

There is no official "use it" call like there is in a ruck or a maul, but the effect is the same. If the ball is stuck at the back of a stationary scrum and the ref tells you to use it then you might well be advised to do so.

Thanks Dam0. I knew someone would be able to clarify. So in a perfect world though, if your'e driving straight etc. as long as the scrum continues to move, you can go the length of the field, but if it stops you need to get it out.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Thanks Dam0. I knew someone would be able to clarify. So in a perfect world though, if your'e driving straight etc. as long as the scrum continues to move, you can go the length of the field, but if it stops you need to get it out.

It is sometimes forgotten, but the primary purpose of the scrum is to "restart play quickly, safely and fairly after a minor infringement or stoppage". Having the ball stuck at the back of a stationary scrum is not what the good lawmakers intended.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It is sometimes forgotten, but the primary purpose of the scrum is to "restart play quickly, safely and fairly after a minor infringement or stoppage". Having the ball stuck at the back of a stationary scrum is not what the good lawmakers intended.

I don't doubt that at all. That is the original purpose but it has evolved somewhat and is now the animal that it is today. I generally like a quick scrum, but every now and then I'm happy to see two forward packs slog it out for a few minutes. :D

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
damo at the scrum in question Joubert even did the courtesy to warn the Brumbies to get it out before the scrum goes 90.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
damo at the scrum in question Joubert even did the courtesy to warn the Brumbies to get it out before the scrum goes 90.

I agree. However I have left that particular scrum behind. As you may know, it was the subject of an interesting thread at a different forum that you and I frequent and I am comfortable with the analysis that resulted there.

Status
Not open for further replies.