• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2021/22 (World Series, Oceania, Comm Games & R7WC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Sanction on Russia was announced the week after Ukraine invasion & has been appended to the women's standings ever since. Everything else was set out last 1 December, I linked the media release on 2/12 & there was plenty of coverage elsewhere, I seem to recall.

I'm no Rachel Riley but by my calculation the NZ men will finish with 7/5 of their final points talley so if they were to win both remaining Legs:

(39+44)×(7/5)=116.

Took me ~3 minutes.
Spend some more minutes.

"... four women’s results for each team contribute to their final Series standings."

Zero mention of pro-rated for GB or pro-rated missed additional legs... ?

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I can remember wondering why England etc were accruing points for the Legs in which Team GB appeared & found the explanation fairly quickly: clearly not in the 1/12/21 media release, though. In any event I think I've had a pretty good handle on how this Series works since late last year or early this.

Moving on...

London Day 1 highlights

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
^ I can remember wondering why England etc were accruing points for the Legs in which Team GB appeared & found the explanation fairly quickly: clearly not in the 1/12/21 media release, though.
I've been writing articles on this -- not here obviously -- and followed the WR (World Rugby) releases closely throughout (you may notice the link posted above was taken from a 3rd party archive made on the day of issue, which means no after-the-fact revisions).

GB took the field from 26/11 to 4/12 and were done. Their points then appeared without explanation but a paragraph was cobbled together subsequently.

In any event I think I've had a pretty good handle on how this Series works since late last year or early this.
WR (World Rugby) made it up as they went along.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I thought the call against Maurice for ripping the ball was wrong, the attacker didn’t have his knees down, was still held up, the ripping off the ball was fair game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The recent 7s performances by us in some ways is disgraceful, we clearly had the talent but they persisted with the same guys for almost 7 years who achieved nothing better than 4-6th in the world consistently. They should’ve been cleaned out ages ago.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Unlikely, but ... to win the series we'd need to do something like win in LA, with the Saffers no better than 4th in that event?

Argies and Fiji are possibly not out of it either but I'm too lazy to, ...ahh, ... do the math.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Congrats to Australia on their win.

Day 2 highlights

I'll have a crack at an adjusted points table later but I suspect @kiap is right: Australia could win the Series by winning LA provided SA don't make the Cup SF.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Tell you what was perhaps the most impressive thing to me about this tournament win was that it was really driven by the rookies. Turner and Mo had their moments but I reckon Lawson, Patterson, Dowling and Gonzales were exceptional. Hard to remember that it’s Toole’s first season too and Roache not too far behind. Remarkable.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1653867882035.png

Henry Paterson just had time to get up after the winning try before Ben Marr tried to kill him.

Status
Not open for further replies.