• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Sevens 2022/23 (World Series etc)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gee the Aussie women were about as poor as I can remember them. Just look disconnected in défense while the little things such as precise passing and handling were off.

Madi Levi had a shocker frankly. Teagan much better this weekend.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Uruguay with the try of the weekend if not the year.

Teams ranked 12-14 should be very, very afraid of what awaits them in London 'cos if it's Tonga they're all toast. Been together less than three weeks & look how far they've come already. Discipline will be an issue* but if they get it right, look out.

*Edit: Exhibit A: Tupou just now. Didn't need to hit him late & definitely didn't need to hit him with no arms. Could cost his team the game.

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I went on Saturday. My first time at the new stadium. It's all a bit meh, you wouldn't know it's new if you teleported to a seat from 2019.

Fijiian fans are insane - in a good way. Best supported team ever.
I think the improvements are in the guts of the stadium, and thats where there has been a massive improvement.

the concourse is wider and actually built to the code required, circulation around the stadium is 100x better

The new stadium features a lot more food and beverage outlets, as well as more toilets than they used to. Especially for the women, which was quite pathetic in the old SFS.

more seating under the drip line is probably the major improvement for when sitting in the seats.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I went on Saturday. My first time at the new stadium. It's all a bit meh, you wouldn't know it's new if you teleported to a seat from 2019.

Your memory is poor.

Much, much better access around the concourse. Closer seating with better orientation. Only bad seats I found were right next to the scoreboard where you missed a small corner of the ground.

Better food options. Better drink options.

Hard to judge it when it is an all-day 7s tourney versus a single 80 minute game, but that bridge will be crossed soon.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes guys I'm aware of the issues and why it needed to be done etc. just saying the visual aspect of sitting there, it's identical.

The concourse is great, full open access around the whole thing as you say and I was in and out of there in seconds.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Men's Top 8
85 NZ
76 SA
68 Samoa
68 France
67 Fiji
67 Argentina
66 USA
62 Australia

Playoff zone
21 Kenya
18 Spain
14 Canada

Relegation
6 Japan

Women's Top 5
78 NZ
66 Australia
66 USA
52 France
52 Ireland

Next men's Leg
Los Angeles 25 & 26 Feb

Next women's Leg
Vancouver 3-5 March

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just one article in the SMH over the weekend. Titled "Just how is that a yellow card?" Not a great advertisement for the game. I get it that Stan don't have the rights but its just another case of money deciding what is printable news. Sort of thing you expect from the Murdoch press.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Just one article in the SMH over the weekend. Titled "Just how is that a yellow card?" Not a great advertisement for the game. I get it that Stan don't have the rights but its just another case of money deciding what is printable news. Sort of thing you expect from the Murdoch press.
I counted a few more articles then that by Iani Payten,
But yeah not great coverage. Surprising crowd given the media coverage

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I counted a few more articles then that by Iani Payten,
But yeah not great coverage. Surprising crowd given the media coverage

With Australia Day falling on the Thursday I'm guessing lots of people took the Friday off as well & got out of town for an extra-long weekend? So, yeah, 66K is a great turnout.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
With Australia Day falling on the Thursday I'm guessing lots of people took the Friday off as well & got out of town for an extra-long weekend? So, yeah, 66K is a great turnout.
Yeah, that's been the problem in the past putting it on the Australia day long weekend. It does make it easier to do the 3 day event when the public holiday falls close to the weekend though. I won't be surprised if they look to shift it off that weekend in the future, now that everything should fit neatly into 2 days.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Nein was totally focussed on the tennis, naturally. Its all about money these days, and they put a huge bet on the tennis.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, that's been the problem in the past putting it on the Australia day long weekend. It does make it easier to do the 3 day event when the public holiday falls close to the weekend though. I won't be surprised if they look to shift it off that weekend in the future, now that everything should fit neatly into 2 days.
Absolutely should be moving the date if the event is to survive. Too hot for spectators as often as not (also for players, even with 15 minute matches). Temps in January also too high in Melbourne for tennis ... but they're stuck with it for scheduling reasons.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Absolutely should be moving the date if the event is to survive. Too hot for spectators as often as not (also for players, even with 15 minute matches). Temps in January also too high in Melbourne for tennis ... but they're stuck with it for scheduling reasons.

Not going to get a weekend in NRL or Super Rugby season and temps in Feb will be just as brutal.

Up in the top of the southern end was OK when the breeze was moving. Otherwise at the northern end one of the emergency exits was a great wind tunnel to cool down in ;)

Lot of people going to wake up sunburned from sitting in the lower tiers during the middle of the day.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the schedule shakes out with the new format, lots of opportunity to fix some long standing issues. Not exactly sure when you move it to though, the traditional schedule of December - June doesn't offer much if you want to avoid Super rugby or competing with the NRL for the stadium.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t necessarily agree, I went both Saturday and Sunday, and whilst hot, it’s not too hot for spectators, especially with how the new stadium that is designed to allows fans to move around. It’s no different then attending cricket matches.

Greater concern is for players, but with 15minute matches, the science of heat injuries suggests this is a manageable time of physical exertion. Tennis is a different story.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I don’t necessarily agree, I went both Saturday and Sunday, and whilst hot, it’s not too hot for spectators, especially with how the new stadium that is designed to allows fans to move around. It’s no different then attending cricket matches.

Greater concern is for players, but with 15minute matches, the science of heat injuries suggests this is a manageable time of physical exertion. Tennis is a different story.
I'd love to know how the players manage the heat after games - I saw a couple of the US women's players wearing ice vests during warm-up - I thought they'd all be using those. Presumably ice baths after the game.