• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

SH team vs NH team....any aussies in the SH team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Richie hasn't been better than Pocock for 2 years, you're a bit behind.

What happend last time they played each other? Actually, meh, who cares.

At the moment Adam Thomson is arguably the best player in the tournament, at least best from NZ, none of the blues would be anywhere near the team & the stormers should probably have 5 or 6 players given they haven't really looked like losing yet.

the team could probably be made up from the Stormers, Highlanders & Bulls in reality - with perhaps a couple of brumbies on the bench.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Genia? No offence Swarley but he has been shithouse this season. Hougaard, Aaron Smith, Pretourius amongst others have been far superior.

We know how everyone thought Genia made Quade Cooper look good, I'm starting to think that it's the other way around.
To be fair Tiger I think Swarley was just trying to put 5 in from each conference rather than top 15

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Best players from what I've seen.

1- Taumalolo
2- Bismark du Plessis
3- Jannie du Plessis (can't recall any real stand out tightheads so far).
4- Clarke/Crosswell/Bekhuis
5- Andries Bekker
6- Higginbotham (close over Thompson)
7- Pocock (Brussouw has been fucking good aswell)
8- Spies/Manu
9- Hougaard
10- Beuden Barrett (has impressed me the most out of the young fly halves in NZ)
11- Bjorn Basson
12- Ben Tapuai
13- Robbie Fruen
14- Jane/Poki/JP Pietersen (take your pick)
15- Andre Taylor

Scotty

David Codey (61)
1. B. Franks
2. Du Plessis
3. Kruger
4. Sharpe
5. Becker
6. Brussow
7. Pocock
8. Kaino
9. Genia
10. Carter
11. Jane
12. De Villiers
13. Smith
14. Dagg
15. Beale

res Strauss, O. Franks, Van Der m=Merve, Spies, Hougaard, Lambie, O'Connor

noticeable absentee's Richie & Thorn

I swear this mistake gets made every month or so!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bismark Du Plessis at hooker & Dan Carter at 10 & Adam Thomson on one of the Flanks are certainties for mine.

As far as 'old man' McCaw goes he may not well make a SH squad right now but I'm sure going to be happy when he comes back.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Interesting concept would really like to see a true NH v SH game played regularly. But looking at the teams that are being picked it looks more like a S15 v HEC affair.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you wanted to go for a team based on current form, I select something like:

1. Taumalolo
2. Hore
3. Jannie Du Plessis
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Carter
6. Thommo
7. Pocock
8. Spies
9. Kerr - Barlow
10. Goosen
11. Basson
12. Olivier
13. Fruen
14. Jane
15. Andre Taylor

Bench would be something like: O. Franks, Battleship, Sharpe, Coetzee, Aaron Smith, Aaron Cruden, Conrad Smith.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting concept would really like to see a true NH v SH game played regularly. But looking at the teams that are being picked it looks more like a S15 v HEC affair.

That might answer one of my original questions...does that mean this has not been done? or has been done a few times, 'just not regularly'?

No comment on the NH team, spose we don't get exposed enough to them. Any thoughts then on any current different styles between the two? Super Rugby still heaps faster than NH rugby?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
If you wanted to go for a team based on current form, I select something like:

1. Taumalolo
2. Hore
3. Jannie Du Plessis
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Carter
6. Thommo
7. Pocock
8. Spies
9. Kerr - Barlow
10. Goosen
11. Basson
12. Olivier
13. Fruen
14. Jane
15. Andre Taylor

Bench would be something like: O. Franks, Battleship, Sharpe, Coetzee, Aaron Smith, Aaron Cruden, Conrad Smith.

Looks almost identical to the Fox Fantasy highest scorers.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Best players from what I've seen.

1- Taumalolo
2- Bismark du Plessis
3- Jannie du Plessis (can't recall any real stand out tightheads so far).
4- Clarke/Crosswell/Bekhuis
5- Andries Bekker
6- Higginbotham (close over Thompson)
7- Pocock (Brussouw has been fucking good aswell)
8- Spies/Manu
9- Hougaard
10- Beuden Barrett (has impressed me the most out of the young fly halves in NZ)
11- Bjorn Basson
12- Ben Tapuai
13- Robbie Fruen
14- Jane/Poki/JP Pietersen (take your pick)
15- Andre Taylor
Good team but just a few possible changes:
Tapuai's mostly been playing #13. If you had to play people in the positions they've been playing in 2012 Tom Carter could very well be the inside centre of the form XV.
Also what about Lealiifano at fly-half? He could goal kick as well.
Eben Etzebeth at lock for me to partner Bekker, and I'd also consider Greyling at loosehead, he's been outstanding for the Bulls every week.
And Owen Franks has probably been the pick of the tightheads for me, although you're right- there haven't been many stand outs at all (including Franks).

1. Dean Greyling
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Owen Franks
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Andries Bekker
6. Adam Thomson
7. David Pocock
8. Pierre Spies
9. Francois Hougaard
10. Christian Lealiifano
11. Bjorn Basson
12. Tom Carter
13. Ben Tapuai/Robbie Fruean
14. JP Pietersen
15. Andre Taylor

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Interesting thread, now that the test season is almost upon us and there have been monumental form swings I thought I'd have a go at a SH 22 (excluding the O'Connor/Beale injuries because they should be back relatively soon).
  1. B. Franks
  2. Du Plessis - wouldn't want anybody else at hooker in the world.
  3. Crockett
  4. Whitelock
  5. Sharpe
  6. Higginbotham
  7. Pocock
  8. Spies
  9. Genia
  10. Carter
  11. Ioane
  12. O'Connor
  13. Kahui
  14. Williams
  15. Beale
  16. Moore
  17. Taumololo
  18. Bekker
  19. McCaw
  20. Hougaard
  21. Steyn
  22. Habana

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
3. Crockett
8. Spies
14. Williams - who Shane?

sorry but you obviously don't watch rugby

J

Jiggles

Interesting thread, now that the test season is almost upon us and there have been monumental form swings I thought I'd have a go at a SH 22 (excluding the O'Connor/Beale injuries because they should be back relatively soon).
  1. B. Franks
  2. Du Plessis - wouldn't want anybody else at hooker in the world.
  3. Crockett
  4. Etzebeth
  5. Plye
  6. Higginbotham
  7. Pocock
  8. Spies
  9. Genia
  10. Cruden
  11. Ioane
  12. Williams
  13. Kahui
  14. Bison
  15. Taylor
  16. Moore
  17. Taumololo
  18. Retallick
  19. Gill
  20. Hougaard
  21. Barrett
  22. Habana

My team is based a bit more on form then on reputation. Of course you would pick the likes of McCaw, Carter etc. if it was a real deal team playing.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
This would be my side (including injured players).

1.Franks
2.BDP
3.Crockett
4.Bekker
5.Sharpe
6.Kaino
7.Pocock
8.Reid
9.Genia
10.Carter
11.Ioane
12.O'Connor
13.Smith
14. Mitchell
15. Beale

16.Robinson
17.Moore
18.Horwill
19.Burger
20.Lambie
21. SBW

I've left out Juan Smith because I'm not sure he'll be match fit for a long time (if ever again). Higgers should be in the team on form, but would have to prove himself at test level to displace burger. Dagg deserves to be in the team but I prefer Beale at the back. Most of the team picks itself. the centre combo and frontrow were the hardest. Honorable mentions to JDV and Fruen.

So I've got 9 Aus players in the 22 which is pretty good. I think realistically it would be hard to argue that Genia, Pocock, Ioane, Beale, Sharpe and mitchell (if fit) aren't the best players in their position. Then you have a few guys that are arguably the second best or there abouts (Moore, O'Connor, Robinson, Horwill, Higgers).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
9 Aussies does not seem right to me at first glance but who do you leave out and who is better at their position? Highlights our problem with depth, however. Excellent at the top and then it falls away.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
@BDA - No slight to Ioane and Mitchell, but it is hard to argue at the moment that Savea is not one of the best wingers in the S15. In fact, there are several Kiwi wingers who might have better claims, certainly than Mitchell, and maybe than Ioane, who has had an interrupted season (but is looking better each week). I have not seen enough SA games to fully comment on their outside backs.
Beale has been playing at 10, too, so at 15, Taylor from the Canes has been pretty good as well, not to mention Dagg, whom you did! ;)
I'd have Thompson at 6 over Kaino, marginally ahead of Higgers.

Reactions: ACR
Status
Not open for further replies.