• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The team Cristini is coaching in Canberra at the moment has numerous Brumbies contracted players, Aus u20s players, Last years Aus Schoolboys players and Academy players, and he is very well respected and liked so it would not surprise me if players make the move up with him.

It will amaze me if aspirational S15 players join Parramatta next year without the benefit of a significant pay cheque.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
It will amaze me if aspirational S15 players join Parramatta next year without the benefit of a significant pay cheque.

It would probably be more or at least not alot less money in parramatta than what they would be receiving in club rugby in canberra, they could still be based with the brumbies academy just play club in the shute shield.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
reality is the parramatta club is not interested in paying crazy money for any players. The club is putting together a program that incorporates a strong development program under Cristinis direction, offering employment and education opportuniities for players seeking to join the club and accomodation for players from out of Sydney who join the club. The interst in the program is already really encouraging. Also look for a Central Coast based colts team to play as a Parramatta colts team next year, train on the coast play in Sydney.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Watched Sharks and WP this morning (sleeping problems are a bastard) and thought that the level of back play was nearly as dire as watching the Wallabies without Cooper, especially as it was 1 vs 2. It was all just pass-along-the-line stuff without much depth running but with lots of ball mishandling. I know Shute is not as good, but the idea that there is a huge gulf between them that needs some sort of ARC to bridge did not seem all that true. Good Shute football is not that far off the mark; and the ability to grow players for the S15 there does not seem impossible. A revamp of the comp with promotion and relegation introduced to strengthen it over time would perhaps be more appropriate.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We would really appreciate updates on the Woodies/Wicks game. Should be a cracker. Woodies to waltz in.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Good Shute football is not that far off the mark; and the ability to grow players for the S15 there does not seem impossible. A revamp of the comp with promotion and relegation introduced to strengthen it over time would perhaps be more appropriate.

During my time watching, playing, and then watching again, Sydney club rugby has seen quite a few clubs come and go. I think the current set-up is about right. Where would the promotable clubs be, in your opinion? And what would be the point of relegating the obvious candidates, like Parramatta and Penrith? We need representation in the areas where the clubs are weakest.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
40 - 7 the final score, Eastwood the winners. Randwick made far too many errors and only looked threatening in small patches of the game.

I don't understand why Fairbanks has a Super 15 contract; he seems like too much of a lightweight to have any impact. Silky hands, yes, but he has not other option than to pass.

Piukala was again very good for the Woodies. Maybe another season in the Shute Shield and he'll be ready for a academy/rookie spot in one of the franchises.

Angus Gardner was consistent and managed the game very well. Communicated well but wasn't dominated by the captains. Good form.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
40 - 7 the final score, Eastwood the winners. Randwick made far too many errors and only looked threatening in small patches of the game.

I don't understand why Fairbanks has a Super 15 contract; he seems like too much of a lightweight to have any impact. Silky hands, yes, but he has not other option than to pass.

Piukala was again very good for the Woodies. Maybe another season in the Shute Shield and he'll be ready for a academy/rookie spot in one of the franchises.

Angus Gardner was consistent and managed the game very well. Communicated well but wasn't dominated by the captains. Good form.

gardner is quite good with the player management - examples include manly v uni when carter was always arking up to manly and warringah v wests the next week with the brett sheehan problems. i thought he was quite lenient with dunning - donnelly was smart to bring him off before he was forced to go off.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah agreed, thecow. Seemed like Dunning got lucky today, a couple of repeat offenses here and there. But on the whole the game was well officiated; some grumbling about the opting to go to the video ref a couple of times but Gardner only went when he was in doubt.

Are Randwick missing all their second rowers?

Cyril Towers (30)
Just home from the Uni v Manly game and several beers under the belt. My observations:
Great game played at finals type intensity. Manly were very much up for it, especially in the forwards. Uni were off their game a bit but still good enough to get away with it.
Manly scrum was very good. Fairbrother was all over Jerry Yanuyanutawa and Tilse was unable to dominate Eddie Aholelei. Manly definitely won that battle. Uni lineout was not up to its usual standard, mainly due to the dodgy throwing of Benny Roberts. Benny was excellent around the park but his lineout throws were ordinary. Peterson was very good for Manly and Sam Carter had a good game for Uni. The back row battle was a hum dinger and the honours were shared, although I thought McCutcheon did a heap of work for Uni. Dave Dennis was a bit quiet and Tim Davidson held his own at best.
It was not a game for backs but Tyrone Smith was very solid. In the end, I think the score of 20-17 to Uni was fair enough. Manly threw everything at Uni and they were good enough to repel most of it. I haven't seen the stats but I am sure Manly would have had the lion's share of the ball and were unable to score enough points with it. Uni's defence was outstanding.
This was a good indication of where Uni is at. They are good, without being the irrestisable force that they have previously been. They badly miss Daniel Halangahu. This year's comp could be won by any of the top 6 teams.

Bring it on!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Sydney Uni 20 Manly 17

Waiting for the test match to start so I thought I may as well report on the match at Uni Oval tonight.

It was a top club match and if the Wallabies play with the same physicality later, we can't complain. Sometimes Uni were like the Borg in ruck defense and hitting the ruck together sometimes and then in sequence. Every ruck ball for Manly was hard earned and Uni didn't have it any easier. It wasn't a whole lot different in the backs over. They bashed each other. Great defence all round.

There were some bloody good tries from both sides all the same: tries that had the ball going side to side and up the middle and from players who just got into a spot to catch a pass and score.

In hindsight you can see that the difference was just after oranges when the ball bounced into the hands of a Uni player to score in the corner; he one of 4 who could have got it – but credit a nice cross kick from Dan Kelly, who converted the try also. Manly seemed to have the majority of territory and possession but there wasn't much between the teams.

Manly's scrums were better and Uni's LHP Jerry Y was pinged several times. But in the one scrum that counted – when Manly had the feed close to the Uni line after parking there for a while in the 2nd half – Uni got the hit, and the ball.

There was hardly a bad player on the park, though I must note, as an oddity, that Uni THP, Jeremy Tilse, finished the 1st half with a remarkably clean jersey.

Hard to believe isn't it ? McCutcheon is thoroughly mediocre. I'm amazed he's playing 1st grade club footy. The Uni conspiracy is well and truly alive. McCutcheon will never be anything.

Cutch had a terrific game playing 7 and was one of the best on the field with a S15 performance. Also, it looks like the Reds have a good recruit in 5. McDuling. He had one of the biggest engines tonight in a game where horsepower was at a premium.

8. Davidson for Uni and 6. Brame for Manly were like captains courageous and they kept getting their players up all game.

Manly 12. Tyrone Smith was probably the best back on the night, but his outside centre, Luke Johnson had the best game I've ever seen him play.

yellow card

Peter Burge (5)
Question, Should the Rats look for a new coach next year based on this years effort, or stick with the current guy ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There's not a lot of good cattle there. We lost Sheehan for a while because of suspension and he is our most valuable player. We basically lost our chance in the finals because of losing one guy. Other teams have better back ups and wouldn't have been affected so much.

That's my view. I'd give Manion another go next year.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee you underate some of your blokes :

Warringah: 1. Pek Cowan, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. AJ Whalley; 4. Brent Murphy, 5. Ben Adams; 6. Beau Robinson, 7. Kotoni Ale, 8. Trevor Richardson; 9. Josh Holmes, 10. Brett Sheehan; 11. Dylan Smouha, 12. Sam Harris, 13. Ed Doyle, 14. Joelin Rapana; 15. Hamish Angus.
Referee: Stuart Dickinson

Add Hockings, Lipman and a few others I can't remember at this point in time. Just carrying half a side of representative players be in Super 14 or Richardson overseas with the above side with Hockings and Lipman to add...

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee you underate some of your blokes :

Warringah: 1. Pek Cowan, 2. Luke Holmes, 3. AJ Whalley; 4. Brent Murphy, 5. Ben Adams; 6. Beau Robinson, 7. Kotoni Ale, 8. Trevor Richardson; 9. Josh Holmes, 10. Brett Sheehan; 11. Dylan Smouha, 12. Sam Harris, 13. Ed Doyle, 14. Joelin Rapana; 15. Hamish Angus.
Referee: Stuart Dickinson

Add Hockings, Lipman and a few others I can't remember at this point in time. Just carrying half a side of representative players be in Super 14 or Richardson overseas with the above side with Hockings and Lipman to add...

I agree with Lee - they look better on paper than they do in reality. L.Holmes, Whalley, Robinson & Sam Harris have all played S14 but will be unlikely to play again. Their front row rarely dominates against the good teams. 2 of their best players are half backs and so one of them has to play out of position. Lipman is north of 30 and his best rugby is behind him. For mine, Warringah need some fresh talent at 10,12 and 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.