• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With nonsense talk about the Vikings reentering Shute shield on other threads, pardon my ignorance, but how would the central coast go raising 4 Grade teams and 3 colts teams for the Shute Shield?

Mungoball does not seem too keen to establish a presence up there, and Aerial Ping Pong is banking on West Sydney and Gold Coast. Is there a vacuum up there that could be exploited? Singo apparently has tons of money, would he be prepared to bankroll a Shute Shield Club?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Eastwood and a full strength Randwick could both do it. Eastwood will miss Stannard and Turner (Clth games 7s duties) if they get to the GF, however. I don't think Uni are as strong this year for one big reason. No Daniel Halangahu. He makes a huge difference at this level.

Barnes would be just as good?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
With nonsense talk about the Vikings reentering Shute shield on other threads, pardon my ignorance, but how would the central coast go raising 4 Grade teams and 3 colts teams for the Shute Shield?

Mungoball does not seem too keen to establish a presence up there, and Aerial Ping Pong is banking on West Sydney and Gold Coast. Is there a vacuum up there that could be exploited? Singo apparently has tons of money, would he be prepared to bankroll a Shute Shield Club?

I think it's silly to think that being in the Shute Shield wouldn't be a quality pathway for the Canberrians, Canberra teams have in the past played in Syd leauges so it's far from nonsense.

But, onto your main point, a Cent Coast Shute Shield club. It would be great to see the competition expand into the Coast, also perhaps Newcastle and Illawarra. These regions shouldn't be aiming for the current Syndey club structure but rather the Sunshine/Gold Coast structure from up in Qld. That's a 1st grade team and a Colts team. This ensures that the local competition isn't wiped out by losings 70 of it's best players and 50 of it's Colts, this competition is necessary to develop further players after all.

Perhaps the system could differ from the Sunshine/Gold Coast structure by having a senior 3rd grade side, for development purposes). The prospect of moving/paying for 2-3 sides a week in much less daunting then moving and paying for 7, plus crippling the local comp.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There are currently eight clubs playing in the Central Coast first grade competition. The standard is about third grade Sydney at best. Any kids who are any good hightail it to play in Sydney as soon as they can.

A few years ago Singo's local radio station, 2GO, sponsored Gordon to play their home games at Bluetongue, but that experiment was short-lived. The ARC was reasonably popular, but only in comparison with the other venues.

In the past, big games like Australia A playing the British Lions drew reasonable crowds, but not sell-outs.

One problem, and it applies to all codes is that there are no sponsors. Even the Knights struggle to get a proper sponsor, they are sponsored by Coal and Allied, hardly a household name. The Jets and Mariners don't have sponsors, and the Mariners drew just over 6,000 last night at Bluetongue.

We should be putting more effort in Western Sydney.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Randwick 7 - 39 Manly.

Randwick were pretty average, Manly just made their chances stick.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Randwick 7 - 39 Manly.

as papworth said in the coverage, it doesnt matter who ur 6-15 are, if ur tight 5 rnt up to scratch, u will find it very difficult to win.

other scores:

norths 32 beat easts 24
warringah 40 beat wests 29
souths 38 beat eastwood 34
gordon 79 beat parra 33
uni 43 beat penrith 35

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Does anyone know anything about David Hardisty playing for West Harbour?

He is considered one of the more promising Victorian prospects from the last year or two and apparently he is starting for either Wests 1sts or 1sts Colts, any idea?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Randwick 7 - 39 Manly.

Randwick just got smashed in the contact zones. Not a good sign for Manly's finals chances that they couldn't pile on the points with such an advantage. They lack creativity in midfield and miss D'Arcy's influence horribly.

Does someone know what the story was in the reserve grade game ? Randwick won something like 85-5 ? Their 1sts suck because they are so injury depleted...and their 2nds score 14 tries - WTF ?

Pathetic result by Easts. Unbelievable choke job.

Des

Bob McCowan (2)
Can anybody advise me of who is playing where in the games next week - some sites are saying Easts and Uni on Sunday at Milner and some are saying that the game
me is on Saturday at Coogee

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I made the long journey to Penrith yesterday to watch their last game of the season against Uni. I was very impressed with them and their style of play.

They seem to have a fairly basic playing strategy. It is very direct and all 15 players appear to be focussed on attacking the line at pace. Their support play was very impressive, passes that stuck and good offloads. They are also proficient at stripping the ball in the tackle. My main impression was that they are a team that probably should have won more than five games.

Full marks to coach Briggs for the job he is doing with a team of no-names.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Can anybody advise me of who is playing where in the games next week - some sites are saying Easts and Uni on Sunday at Milner and some are saying that the game
me is on Saturday at Coogee

on saturday uni r playing easts @ coogee oval
on sunday manly r playing randwick @ tg millner field

both games r at 3pm and will be shown on abc1

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Randwick just got smashed in the contact zones. Not a good sign for Manly's finals chances that they couldn't pile on the points with such an advantage. They lack creativity in midfield and miss D'Arcy's influence horribly.

Does someone know what the story was in the reserve grade game ? Randwick won something like 85-5 ? Their 1sts suck because they are so injury depleted...and their 2nds score 14 tries - WTF ?

Pathetic result by Easts. Unbelievable choke job.

Mate it didn't help Manly a great deal that more often than not their first 5 Swanpoel was passing straight to Tyrone Smith because Hooper was in the forwards. Also Manly have had one of their worst years in recent memory in the lower grades. 2nds, 3rds and 4ths were well off the pace.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Manly to struggle next week if as Papworth said Randwick get all their rock stars back. Manly's strength will be their teamwork versus a team with some guys introducing themselves to other teammates at training. Major problem will be their lack of a midfield( flyhalf and inside, Seymour injured, Sefanaia in the games squad and D'Arcy o/s)and no one who can kick goals.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Goal kicking could be the major worry. Haven't I seen Andrew Smith kick goals before?

Don't know why Hooper had to play 12, though he did OK when he wasn't in the ruck out of habit. I saw Manly against Uni a couple of weeks ago and T.Smith was at 12 and L.Johnson at 13. Johnson had the best game I can remember from him. Is he injured?

Funny that the Manly scrum wasn't as dominant a couple of times when Fairbrother went off and Eddie A switched to THP. I thought Eddie was decent there early in the season playing without Fairbrother; though it could have been a timing of the hit issue. Fairbrother isn't the greatest THP since sliced bread but he was good enough to be considered as a stopgap by Deans if Baxter was to be shunned. His performance anchoring the TH side in a 7 man scrum against Southerns was reportedly heroic.

But you're right about the lower grades: Uni put on 70 against the Twos - or was it 80?

PS Again - did anybody see Kimlin play for Easts, if he actually did?

Cyril Towers (30)
Goal kicking could be the major worry. Haven't I seen Andrew Smith kick goals before?

Funny that the Manly scrum wasn't as dominant a couple of times when Fairbrother went off and Eddie A switched to THP. I thought Eddie was decent there early in the season playing without Fairbrother; though it could have been a timing of the hit issue. Fairbrother isn't the greatest THP since sliced bread but he was good enough to be considered as a stopgap by Deans if Baxter was to be shunned. His performance anchoring the TH side in a 7 man scrum against Southerns was reportedly heroic.

PS Again - did anybody see Kimlin play for Easts, if he actually did?

Lee, in my humble opinion Fairbrother is the best scrummaging THP in the Shute Shield by a fair margin. The only one who is close is Dan Palmer on a good day. He doesn't do a whole lot else, but his scrummaging is first rate.

And Uni won 2s against Manly 79-0 from memory. Weird game, total blow-out in the 2nd half after a reasonable 1st half.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I have to hand it to the Wicks on Saturday, they looked totally outgunned in that first half but didn't disgrace themselves. Manly played some breathtaking footy early on and seemed to take their foot off the gas a bit. They will need to tighten that up come finals time.

Status
Not open for further replies.