• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert

I have to hand it to the Wicks on Saturday, they looked totally outgunned in that first half but didn't disgrace themselves.

Yeah, it was a tough day at the office. Hopefully, things will be different this weekend when the cavalry arrive. Add Kepu and Johnny F to the front row with Lotu, Chisolm into the 2nd row, then Mowen, Hoiles and Lam into the backrow and the pack actually looks pretty competitive (on paper at least). The backline will be sweet, with Valo and Phibbsy to share the 9, Fairbanks and Cummins in the centres, Mitchell and Foley on the wings and KB (Kurtley Beale) at either 10 or 15. If he plays 15, I'm not sure who will play 10. Bev Tuqiri has spent a lot of time at inside centre, but I reckon he's the most natural ball-player in the club. Randwick's theory come September is usually to fit the best 15 blokes into the team, somehow. So, not everyone will end up playing in their natural positions.

There's also whispers that Rocky will have a run.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, having some help in the tight five will certainly improve your chances. The scrum was under huge pressure, but actually got better as the game went on.

W

Welly Rugby

hoiles is injured isnt he?
and what is the go with mitchell's injury?

if all of those mentioned play will be a vastly different game.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A bit American Football isn't it with the all stars running on just for the finals series?

Interesting to see that there is not the same rabid polarising debate on the return of the rockstars for Club Footy that we see on the schoolboy forums related to "imports" and "scholarships". Hmmmm

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
It shits me to tears but KB (Kurtley Beale) and others have played some club this year. What will drive me crazy though is if I see Berrick Barnes playing for Uni, of all the clubs that he could have gone to why were we not surprised when he went to Uni.
It sucks that Eastwood, Souths and Manly the three best teams this year( Uni will dispute this and some might say this is justified) will be pushing shit uphill to beat Randwick, Easts and Uni. Oh well at least the planets will stay in alignment.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It shits me to tears but KB (Kurtley Beale) and others have played some club this year. What will drive me crazy though is if I see Berrick Barnes playing for Uni, of all the clubs that he could have gone to why were we not surprised when he went to Uni.
It sucks that Eastwood, Souths and Manly the three best teams this year( Uni will dispute this and some might say this is justified) will be pushing shit uphill to beat Randwick, Easts and Uni. Oh well at least the planets will stay in alignment.

If Uni were better consistently throughout the season than Eastwood, Souths, and Manly, they would have won the minor premiership.

W

Welly Rugby

from KB (Kurtley Beale)'s twitter.. "Got an x ray this morning on my wrist. Good news it's all good. Now I can finally go on hols tomorrow. Can't wait. Looking forward to it.. "

from drew mitchells twitter.. "Rest ad relaxation.. Taking off up north for the week with @giteau_rugby @AdamCoopy and Little Rich.. Need a bit of Sun haha "

the team sheets should be out today in any case.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think the test players have probably earned a rest after what has been a pretty hard season. I'd like to see the club guys get a run in the finals as reward for their efforts throughout the home and away rounds.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, absolutley Hornet. This is a similar issue to the thread about player burnout; I think next year we'll probably see a lot less Test players spending time in club rugby. But at the same time we may see more Super Rugby players in club rugby with the addition of the Rebels.

A

Albert

Well guys - looks like you're right. The team the Wicks have listed doesn't include KB (Kurtley Beale) or Mitchell; but Kepu, Fonokalafi, Lam and Mowen are back in the pack, while Cummins and Bevu Tuqiri are also playing. I hope that's enough to get us across the line. Surprised that Chisolm not there, and I thought Hoiles was due back from his achillies problem. They may be on the bench.

Cyril Towers (30)

1.Berrick Barnes has played at least much club rugby for Uni as KB (Kurtley Beale) has for Randwick.
2.Berrick Barnes wasn't poached from another struggling Shute Shield club, KB (Kurtley Beale) was.
3.When Berrick Barnes moved to Sydney from Qld he had to play somewhere, and I understand he is involved in tertiary study so Uni was a good fit.
4. As Bruce Ross so often points out, Uni don't tend to poach senior players from other Shute Shield clubs, but rather develop players from Colts level. And before you say anything about Luke Burgess, he was a Uni Colts player.
5. I don't think anyone would argue that Eastwood, Souths and Manly have been the best teams over the home and away rounds. The points are on the board to prove it. However, the comp is won in the finals.
6. Uni will certainly be competitive, but this year's comp is a lot closer than the last couple of years and the standard of Shute Shield rugby has picked up across the board this year. There are a number of teams who could win this.
7. I am donning my flame proof undies in anticipation of the replies.

Des

Bob McCowan (2)
I agree with all you say Topo.
1. Barnes has played games more than Beale in Shute Shield
It will be very interesting to see what Uni's line up is this week.
I do think that Uni will probs fit Barnes into 10 this week, Burgo on the bench this week then back to 9 next week when Phipps goes to 7's. Probs also Cal in for Cutch also to 7's. Not sure what they will do with Mumm - but may have him off the bench as well
We mast remember it is now sudden death for ALL teams - I don't really think that this is fair on First and second

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've got no problem with sudden death in all finals games. Plenty of tournaments round the world do that and our "double chance" is a bit of local anomaly. Finishing higher up the ladder should grant you a game against a lower seeded team and maybe home ground advantage. If a higher seeded team can't take advantage of that, then maybe they aren't that good after all.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saturday 18 September
SYDNEY UNIVERSITY (4th) v EASTERN SUBURBS (5th) at Coogee Oval (3:10pm, ABC TV)
Sydney University: 1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Jeremy Tilse; 4. Dean Mumm, 5. Dave McDuling; 6. Dave Dennis, 7. Jono Jenkins, 8. Tim Davidson [c]; 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Berrick Barnes; 11. Lachie Mitchell, 12. Tom Carter, 13. Mitch Inman, 14. Peter Betham; 15. Nathan Trist.
Eastern Suburbs: 1. Ofa Fainga’anuku, 2. Huia Edmonds, 3. Guy Shepherdson; 4. Phil Mathers, 5. Ed Brenac; 6. Talalelei Gray, 7. Will Brock, 8. Andrew Shaw; 9. Brendan McKibbin, 10. Matt To’omua; 11. Afusipa Taumoepeau, 12. Ben Ward, 13. Ryan Cross, 14. Anton Lavin; 15. Pat Dellit.
Referee: Stuart Dickinson
Sunday 19 September
MANLY (3rd) v RANDWICK (6th) at T.G. Millner Field Oval (3:10pm, ABC TV)
Manly: 1. Eddie Aholelei, 2. Elvis Taione, 3. Tim Fairbrother; 4. Dylan Sigg, 5. Greg Peterson; 6. Will Brame [c], 7. Chris Westenenk, 8. Tevita Metuisela; 9. Chris Cottee, 10. Mark Swanepoel; 11. Lui Siale, 12. Michael Hooper, 13. Tyrone Smith, 14. Luke Johnson; 15. Andrew Smith.
Randwick: 1. Sekope Kepu, 2. John Fonokalafi, 3. Lotu Taukeiaho; 4. Junior Maninoa, 5. Tim Maxwell; 6. Seilala Lam, 7. Tim McGann, 8. Ben Mowen; 9. Patrick Phibbs, 10. Toby Browne; 11. Nick Cummins, 12. Bevu Tuqiri, 13. Tim Wright, 14. Tom Tombleson; 15. Shaun Foley.
Referee: Steve Walsh

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
1.Berrick Barnes has played at least much club rugby for Uni as KB (Kurtley Beale) has for Randwick.
2.Berrick Barnes wasn't poached from another struggling Shute Shield club, KB (Kurtley Beale) was.
3.When Berrick Barnes moved to Sydney from Qld he had to play somewhere, and I understand he is involved in tertiary study so Uni was a good fit.
4. As Bruce Ross so often points out, Uni don't tend to poach senior players from other Shute Shield clubs, but rather develop players from Colts level. And before you say anything about Luke Burgess, he was a Uni Colts player.
5. I don't think anyone would argue that Eastwood, Souths and Manly have been the best teams over the home and away rounds. The points are on the board to prove it. However, the comp is won in the finals.
6. Uni will certainly be competitive, but this year's comp is a lot closer than the last couple of years and the standard of Shute Shield rugby has picked up across the board this year. There are a number of teams who could win this.
7. I am donning my flame proof undies in anticipation of the replies.

The reason I mention KB (Kurtley Beale) was that due to management and connection to the Ella's he was always going to end up at Randwick. On the other hand Berrick Barnes has no real connection with Sydney University.
Secondly in point 2 are you talking about a club in the Mt Druitt area or Norths who are hardly strugglers despite their recent results.In regards to point 3, I assume you mean after a hard day of lectures.
Point 4 yes Burgess did play colts at Uni, in fact he was in 3rd grade in 2005.

W

Welly Rugby

Meanwhile, Michael Hooper is being played at inside Centre for Manly. I shit you not.

he played there last weekend against randwick and didnt do too badly.. got over the advantage line more in the one game than tyrone smith has all year in the manly 12 jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.