• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012 ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
I don't think that it would ever work, but an idea may be something of a player draft. All players are eligible to play for the Club of their choice in the Colts competition (this would allow young players to play close to home/work/school etc).

At age 20 (when they finish Colts and graduate to Grade), all players interested in committing to playing grade are signed to nominal paying contracts by the Sydney Rugby Union for a period of two seasons. These players go into a draft system, similar to the NBA/AFL Draft. Club would then need to top up contracts, based on appearances in first grade/second grade, as well as covering travel allowances and possibly rental assistance.

If a player pulls out of the contract before the two year, he is unable to be registered for a premiership club for a further two seasons.

All Clubs would be able to contract up to five players before the draft to ensure that some talent stays with the Club, as they are the developers. Any player who refuses to sign the Colts-Grade pathway contract may not be registered with a Premiership Club for a term of two playing seasons (to stop players not entering the draft and signing with their club afterwards), unless there are mitigating circumstances.

Colts aged players from QLD/Vic/SA/WA would need to nominate for the draft in order to play for premiership clubs.

For example, if we take the Eastwood 1st XV Colts as all leaving to play Grade next year, Eastwood could contract Blake Sutton, Tannous Ferris, Jackson Larkin, Kyle Shewan and Wes Sefuiva, but all other Colts would be forced to enter the draft.

Just a thought, would love to hear your feedback.
I agree we definitely need fresh ideas to make for fairer competitions. Colts certainly do go a long way to developing rugby skills but we shouldn't forget that a great part of players skills are taught & developed well beforehand at junior club level. This year, we had a particular Sydney club-related coach target some of our juniors as young as 13 via one of their local private schools in an effort to get our boys playing for their junior district side in the State Champos with a view to then offering school then uni scholarships as an incentive to play colts. How many clubs can compete with this? This same club is also Government funded via sporting & education grants. Dont think that these taxpayer dollars have never found themselves in player pockets at the end of the day. Creative accounting they call it. "Prove it" they say. Talk to the players.

A player points system is the right idea but like anything, clubs always find a way around the rules or simply cheat. The RU Hierarchy need to continuously look at the loopholes be exploited and make changes to the rules to make it for a more even competition. A competition which has effectively been dominated by one club in the last 7 or 8 years is not a healthy competition.

K

Keithy

Thanks Dingasden that was a fresh idea! No one on this sight has ever accused Uni of simply cheating. This is ins and outs not SS 2012.
Can anyone confirm Hugh Roach is playing at Eastwood?

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
eastwood hve recruited quite well, Hugh Roach, Steve Cummins and Jeremy Su'a to name a few. Good quality there. Rumour has it a lot of West Harbour lower grade players are going to Eastwood too.

B

Balcknred

eastwood hve recruited quite well, Hugh Roach, Steve Cummins and Jeremy Su'a to name a few. Good quality there. Rumour has it a lot of West Harbour lower grade players are going to Eastwood too.
Wests has lost almost half of its 3rd grade semi final team that went within minues of knocking uni out. Ah lam , Afualo , hunk in , proctor , piono have all gone to Eastwood while Fong has gone to uni . While it maybe insignificant at other clubs to lose lower grade players it may hurt wests more than usual as hunkin , Afualo , proctor and Fong have all played a decent amount of first grade in the last 2 years and when you consider sua has left as well it leaves them without a experienced 1st grade halfback ...

B

Balcknred

Any ideas whats behind such a wholesale defection?
Lack of opportunity in higher grades, they were apart of a team that were winning fairly regularly yet struggled to get a look in a team that struggled to win a toss let alone games. Things got so bad towards the end of the year that they wouldn't even back up for 2s but do so for ones or in some cases play all 3 games

T

Tahboy

Hi have heard 2 of Wests best 1st Colts players from the 2011 season have left and joined Randwick
Could be a tough 2012 for Wests

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Wests has lost almost half of its 3rd grade semi final team that went within minues of knocking uni out. Ah lam , Afualo , hunk in , proctor , piono have all gone to Eastwood while Fong has gone to uni . While it maybe insignificant at other clubs to lose lower grade players it may hurt wests more than usual as hunkin , Afualo , proctor and Fong have all played a decent amount of first grade in the last 2 years and when you consider sua has left as well it leaves them without a experienced 1st grade halfback ...

All of those blokes have had more clubs than Tiger Woods. They are all good mates of Su'a and go where he goes.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Lack of opportunity in higher grades, they were apart of a team that were winning fairly regularly yet struggled to get a look in a team that struggled to win a toss let alone games. Things got so bad towards the end of the year that they wouldn't even back up for 2s but do so for ones or in some cases play all 3 games
Great to hear that nothings changed in club rugby....

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
surprising isn't it..........what I can't get my head around is that those Wests blokes, they are ok at best (not including Su'a in that gross generalisation as I rate him) appear to have left for higher grades at Eastwood. Looking at Eastwood's 2nd grade team this year...........the side that played the gf had Chris Hill at 2- I think he's played 200 games for the Woods so I wouldn't see Hunkin replacing him. Afualo can play loosehead or 8, Eastwood had Simon Norris at 1 and Bleddyn Gant at 8. Though I think Tom Ellem was injured at 8 for the GF. Again, I can't see Afualo being picked ahead of those guys. Ah Lam, is grossly unfit and has a dodgy knee. He's a tighthead. Dylan Brass was 3 in the gf so again, I dont think Ah Lam will be picked ahead of him. Proctor is 9 or 10 who has not been at his best since his bubble burst when he missed out on Oz Schools. Anyway, the Woods reserve grade 9 was Mick Snowden and I'd take Snowden any day. Pinono is a bit of a myth, he is a very devastating player when he wants to be, but unfortunately that's only twice a year. Potentially, he could be as devasting as the Old Bus was but for the unreliability you would stick with Hammond.

They obviously want to stay together and play higher grades. And who would begrudge them that. But I think they need to decide, is it higher grades they want to play or do they just want to play together because it's looking unlikely they'll be able to achieve both at Eastwood. They would be better off staying at Wests (if the rumoured exodus is true) or even going to Parra who seem to be on the improve or Penrith where they'll play 2nds atleast.

Or they could move to the beaches and join my club................

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Great to hear that nothings changed in club rugby....
It should be fairly obvious to you as a regular contributor/reader of the numerous posts on this forum , that there are a small number of people here who who have a particular agenda when
it comes to the West Harbour club .Their posts about Wests are predictably negative or attempt to show them in a bad light.
One could be excused for thinking that nothing would make them happier than to see Wests fail.
Interestingly they identify themselves as supporters from other clubs , indicating that their "information" , is not first hand at best.
As you would have seen from reading previous posts from these individuals over the months ,( & the rebuttals from other members ), much of their "information" is simply a desire to be negative & a projection
of what they would hope to be factual.
Reports of West's demise & the reasons for it , should be seen in this context.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
It should be fairly obvious to you as a regular contributor/reader of the numerous posts on this forum , that there are a small number of people here who who have a particular agenda when
it comes to the West Harbour club .Their posts about Wests are predictably negative or attempt to show them in a bad light.
One could be excused for thinking that nothing would make them happier than to see Wests fail.
Interestingly they identify themselves as supporters from other clubs , indicating that their "information" , is not first hand at best.
As you would have seen from reading previous posts from these individuals over the months ,( & the rebuttals from other members ), much of their "information" is simply a desire to be negative & a projection

am pretty sure Slash said...............'They would be better off staying at Wests'.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
No matter where these blokes go, they'll have to take themselves with them. Balknred, I wouldn't agree that they weren't given a go. Miles, Shannin, Fongy all played 1sts- and all very well. I'd suggest a couple of them would have played a lot of top grade in 2012. Marcus and Piono couldn't get past the guys in 2s.

Sometimes a new club can work wonders, and I hope in their case it does.

I don't think Wests are the only club who has players who think they should be playing higher. Indeed, all these guys have been around a number of clubs, so its hardly a reflection upon Wests if they move again.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
No matter where these blokes go, they'll have to take themselves with them. Balknred, I wouldn't agree that they weren't given a go. Miles, Shannin, Fongy all played 1sts- and all very well. I'd suggest a couple of them would have played a lot of top grade in 2012. Marcus and Piono couldn't get past the guys in 2s.

Sometimes a new club can work wonders, and I hope in their case it does.

I don't think Wests are the only club who has players who think they should be playing higher. Indeed, all these guys have been around a number of clubs, so its hardly a reflection upon Wests if they move again.

completely agree

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

If you re-read what I wrote I was actually having a dig at players who say they're not going to stand by for particular grades.....and pick up their tent and take their attitude to another club where, eventually, they do the same.
In the amateur days the worst thing anyone could call you was a club hopper.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
If you re-read what I wrote I was actually having a dig at players who say they're not going to stand by for particular grades.....and pick up their tent and take their attitude to another club where, eventually, they do the same.
In the amateur days the worst thing anyone could call you was a club hopper.
Yes I understood the implications of your comment ,and my observations are unchanged.

Status
Not open for further replies.