• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012 ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Been through the Wests discussion, wests supporters get too defensive and until they accept there is a problem it can't be fixed.

At the risk of being defensive I'd rather have our perceived problems than the real ones that face Gordon, Penrith and a couple of other clubs reportedly not travelling as well as some of their supporters think.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Lack of opportunity in higher grades, they were apart of a team that were winning fairly regularly yet struggled to get a look in a team that struggled to win a toss let alone games. Things got so bad towards the end of the year that they wouldn't even back up for 2s but do so for ones or in some cases play all 3 games
What a shame, they had so many numbers about 7 years ago that they ran 3 teams in 4th div subbies on top if 5 teams in grade

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Sydney Shute Shield teams may need to be careful, as there are several Subbies clubs with money to spend on players - especially those who have realised that they are not going to pick up Super contracts. Guys like Anaru Matthews (Balmain), Leo Afeaki (Drummoyne), Vinny Byrne & Greg Wade (Brothers) are going to set examples for other players to follow.
It migh mean something if the Subbies admin wasnt in financial trouible as I read on here

krumpet

Frank Row (1)
My Rats spies have told me that they have lost quite a few players for this year.

Scott Bradley is in NZ
Salesi Manu in Perth
Dave Hart retired
Dan Barnard retired
Ed Doyle in USA
Tristan Stanley in Kalgoorlie
Mark Porpiglia work committments
Kennedy brothers back to league

Thats just guys who played 1s. Apparently too they have lost a few lower grade players. There depth was already thin in 2011, losing these blokes will hurt them even more.

Can any Warringah fan comment?

I posted your comment on twitter to @warringahrugby and got the following response " bout right with players. Porpiglia is playing. Be a different comp this year. No Super rugby players. We r in a good position"

Let's hope the Rats are in a good position this year. We were a little lack lustre when the S15 boys weren't there.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
First post guys, I can comment with some authority on the departure of the Wests 3rd Graders.
TK Amosa to League to play with his brother, Proctor, Joe Afualo, Ah Lam and Pinono rumoured to be going to Eastwood but have not fronted yet. Also may play League with Amosa.
Hunkin a regular at West Harbour pre season training.
Fong has been saying he is leaving since colts. He is a talented kid but is the type that thinks the grass is always greener. Sometimes you need to go to see you were being treated well. I wish him every success.
The Proctor and Pinono were given lots of opportunity to play higher but either refused or were miraculously unable to train. They wanted to stay in 3s as they were winning.
Big Joey and Marcus have wonderful skills and are great blokes but fitnes precluded them from progressing, still a big gap between the standards of 2s and 3s.
They most certainly will be missed but the talk they were not given opportunities is untrue.
This may have been communicated to them better by the club, this is not a West Harbour are not to blame post, mistakes were made by both sids of this association.
Lets hope the guys and the club learn from it.
Also as far as I know Jeremy Sua is playing in NZ this season, again will be missed.

K

Keithy

I beleive West Harbour have recruited 6 overseas imports included the NZ U20 hooker. Should help them along but at what financial cost.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
I beleive West Harbour have recruited 6 overseas imports included the NZ U20 hooker. Should help them along but at what financial cost.
As far as I know you are correct Keithy although only 2 are here with the others ariving shortly.
Really I only beleive what I see so 2 yes another 4 probably.
Again on cost, one thing Wests have done well of late is manage their $s so expectations are the budget will still be maintained.
Any club that blows their budget right out must have been blindfolded the last couple of years, plenty of examples of what not to do out there and only a couple of examples of good management.

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
Also heard a very sad rumour that you could fit all the attendants at Penrith's first training in a Tarago.
I really hope this is untrue, lots of good hardworking supporters out they alone deserve a good year, hope it picks up for them.
I might be in the minority but I always enjoy my trip to Penrith and an Emu Burger or two.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Also heard a very sad rumour that you could fit all the attendants at Penrith's first training in a Tarago.
I really hope this is untrue, lots of good hardworking supporters out they alone deserve a good year, hope it picks up for them.
I might be in the minority but I always enjoy my trip to Penrith and an Emu Burger or two.

Yep, I reckon you'd be in the minority!

Slash

Bill Watson (15)

With a $150K profit over the past 2 years, I think they can afford it and good luck to them!

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
First post guys, I can comment with some authority on the departure of the Wests 3rd Graders.
TK Amosa to League to play with his brother, Proctor, Joe Afualo, Ah Lam and Pinono rumoured to be going to Eastwood but have not fronted yet. Also may play League with Amosa.
Fong has been saying he is leaving since colts. He is a talented kid but is the type that thinks the grass is always greener. Sometimes you need to go to see you were being treated well. I wish him every success.
The Proctor and Pinono were given lots of opportunity to play higher but either refused or were miraculously unable to train. They wanted to stay in 3s as they were winning.
Big Joey and Marcus have wonderful skills and are great blokes but fitnes precluded them from progressing, still a big gap between the standards of 2s and 3s.
They most certainly will be missed but the talk they were not given opportunities is untrue.
This may have been communicated to them better by the club, this is not a West Harbour are not to blame post, mistakes were made by both sids of this association.
Also as far as I know Jeremy Sua is playing in NZ this season, again will be missed.

My mail is Su'a is about to sign with Melb Rebels. Apparently too AJ Gilbert will sign for the Rebels. Both big losses for the respective clubs no doubt.

The Rebels are playing v the Chiefs in Geelong tomorrow night. Gilbert and Su'a are in the starting side..............

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)

Pretty good summary ITIK. That's exactly the way I see it too. Knuckles is right on the Jeremy Su'a thing too- hope he goes well with the Rebels. The question is, now that he has played for Manu Samoa, is he considered an overseas player?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Pretty good summary ITIK. That's exactly the way I see it too. Knuckles is right on the Jeremy Su'a thing too- hope he goes well with the Rebels. The question is, now that he has played for Manu Samoa, is he considered an overseas player?

Yes it does. But they are allowed 10 overseas players and have a few spots available. My mail is also that despite the media trying to make it more than it is, Cipriani aint going anywhere. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ARU imposed a rule on the Rebels that whilst they can have 10 o'/s players, they can only stay a maximum of 2 years at the club. If this is in fact true, they better start looking for a number 8 for next year!

K

Keithy

Yes it does. But they are allowed 10 overseas players and have a few spots available. My mail is also that despite the media trying to make it more than it is, Cipriani aint going anywhere. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the ARU imposed a rule on the Rebels that whilst they can have 10 o'/s players, they can only stay a maximum of 2 years at the club. If this is in fact true, they better start looking for a number 8 for next year!

The Rebels have already signed their 30 players + 5 EPS for 2012 so don't see Sua getting a contract this year. He is due to play NPC in 2012 but is training with the Rebels until April. Yep the Rebels are talking with Higginbotham and McCalman plus others for a number 8.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Does anybody know if Tom Cusack from the ACT is playing in Sydney this year?

He has enrolled at the University of Canberra, so he will most likely stay local. As to which club he joins, I'd wager the Vikings would put together a package for him.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
The Rebels have already signed their 30 players + 5 EPS for 2012 so don't see Sua getting a contract this year. He is due to play NPC in 2012 but is training with the Rebels until April. Yep the Rebels are talking with Higginbotham and McCalman plus others for a number 8.

I can assure you, Su'a will be offered a deal by the start of the S15.........

K

Keithy

Interesting. They already have 3 halfbacks, Phipps, Kingy and Stirzaker and a full squad for 2012. Is it for the 2013 season?

H

high tower

Kingy played wing last year, Stirzacker is a development project @best in particular when compared to Su'a. Sua has the runs on the board at shute sheild level, while Stirzacker was about the 4th stringer @Sydney Uni at the start of last year behind Phipps, Brehnehan and the guy who captained 1sts.

Status
Not open for further replies.