• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012 ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keithy

Phipps Kingy and Stirzaker already have contracts so someone at the Rebels thinks Sua is 4th behind these guys. My points is their roster is already full for 2012 so how do they contract another player? No denying Sua has played more shute shield than Phipps and Stirzaker.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Jeremy Su'a first represented CHS as a YR 9 student. He has since played schoolboys, 20s and now Samoa. It is a disgrace that people like himself and possibly his fellow 2Blues colts colleague Stevie Mafi have had to go O/S whilst the white establishment has continued to prosper.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
[indigenous and PI players] had to go O/S whilst the white establishment has continued to prosper.
I've noticed that in the Wallaby line up: Kepu, Cowan, The Fainga'a twins, Genia, Cooper, Hodgson, Digby, Quade, Ma'afu, TPN, Samo, Tapaui, Beale, Palu... Everyone of them direct descendants of Captain Cook and Arthur Philip...

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Jeremy Su'a first represented CHS as a YR 9 student. He has since played schoolboys, 20s and now Samoa. It is a disgrace that people like himself and possibly his fellow 2Blues colts colleague Stevie Mafi have had to go O/S whilst the white establishment has continued to prosper.

Lily I normally appreciate your non conformity and challenging posts, but this one is absolute nonsense.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
I posted your comment on twitter to @warringahrugby and got the following response " bout right with players. Porpiglia is playing. Be a different comp this year. No Super rugby players. We r in a good position"

Let's hope the Rats are in a good position this year. We were a little lack lustre when the S15 boys weren't there.

word is Jason Peseta is playing park league for some nuff nuff pub side in the outer western suburbs for more $$$ than what warringh could offer him. This is concerning on so many levels

T

Tahboy

Maybe Sua changing clubs and position every year didn't help and Mafi bailed out of Aust rugby very quickly and took the dollars he could get overseas
Some blokes just expect everything straight away and are not prepared to keep plugging away for say 5 years they think I'm not playing Super rugby within 2 years so I'm going
Always good to see the racist card get bought out every now and then

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
Maybe Sua changing clubs and position every year didn't help and Mafi bailed out of Aust rugby very quickly and took the dollars he could get overseas
Some blokes just expect everything straight away and are not prepared to keep plugging away for say 5 years they think I'm not playing Super rugby within 2 years so I'm going

Jeremy, I have been told, is in the "Almost there" category. He was well in the frame whilst playing at Wests, then of as a second stringer in the world cup. I think a solid showing at NPC level might seal a deal. I hope he does well but if he goes to Super Rugby he is lost to the Shute Shield. Note he has not aligned himself to any othe Shute Shield club so Wests current discussions and expectations are he will be a Westie if and when he returns.

Steve was also starting to get the opportunities but took himself out of the frame going to Europe.

The anti polly line is clearly wrong and has been acurately addressed by earlier posters.

4 more Kiwis of talent and at least 1 ex Gordon player of note training at Concord.

TGFan

Stan Wickham (3)
I heard that Eastwood's Paddy Shanahan is not playing rugby at all this year, the neck injury he sustained against Gordon in the 1st round last year is still causing a bit of grief apparently, not worth risking a neck.. Woods to go back to back though!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Maybe Sua changing clubs and position every year didn't help ...

I had quite a bit to do with Jeremy Sua when he was playing Colts at Uni. I remember him having to get up at some ridiculous hour to catch public transport long distances to go to Waratahs Academy training. Not much wrong with the kid's dedication and I didn't get the impression that he "expect[ed] everything straight away and [was] not prepared to keep plugging away". What I also remember was that the family was of quite modest means and so not surprisingly he chose to move to a club close to home that was offering good money for him to play. Unfortunately the result has been that he evolved to some extent into a journeyman club player when he had the talent to go much further. Let's hope the very likeable young bloke kicks on.

I actually agree with you, Tahboy, although not in the sarcastic sense I think you meant.

Uncharacteristically lily exaggerated the situation but there are still plenty of stereotypical criticisms about lazy Polynesians, etc. I wish that people, including myself, had been prepared to bring out "the racist card" when I was young and racist abuse and attitudes were common currency and went unchecked.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Firstly, thank you Bruce for helping to clarify my point. More often than not there is a stereotypical judgement associated with Polynesian players. As one of my esteemed colleagues correctly pointed out, there are several Wallabies and S15 players that didn't descend from the First Fleet. I'm also aware of the influence that all Sth Pacific Islanders have had on Australian Rugby especially my favorite as a Uni student who played for Manly. Joe Sitoa was his name and he and Jonny Fa, Meli Nakauta, Feki Latusela Semi Tapa'affe, Siqeli Qua Qua, Sione Taufa and the Big O were just a few of the Islanders to help the Marlins raise the Shute Shield in 1997. This is why I said all Polynesian players not just the few who have been able to pick up professional contracts. My issue is that elitism still exists in Rugby. One example could be this - Where are the NSW schoolboy selections held? Surely a public school could also use the profits from the BBQ. Another being a recent poll on G%G about the first code of football played. One of the options was that the participant started in League then saw the light.
That type of stuff is cringeworthy to the majority and once again plays to the stereotype that Rugby fans are a bunch of tweed coat wearing tossers.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
lily, some interesting points in your thread, and some are accurate! It's a matter of fact the big rugby-playing boys' schools have the best grounds, there are few alternatives to playing representative schoolboy games at Barker, Joeys, King's, Knox, Riverview or Shore that have more than one decent ground and can cater for a large crowd. There've been one-offs at Concord Oval and St Marys RL Stadium in the past, maybe there could be a few more in the future. "Rugby fans are a bunch of tweed coat wearing tossers", mmmm? Might've been the case in the 60s but I haven't seen a tweed coat at a rugby match for many years. However, you might be right on the tosser count, in my experience once an alickadoo gets his arse comfortable at one of the established clubs he's not interested in the advancement of rugby beyond the success of said club. Before critics reach for their cudgels consider the concern the established clubs have for the development of rugby in western Sydney.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
lily, some interesting points in your thread, and some are accurate! It's a matter of fact the big rugby-playing boys' schools have the best grounds, there are few alternatives to playing representative schoolboy games at Barker, Joeys, King's, Knox, Riverview or Shore that have more than one decent ground and can cater for a large crowd. There've been one-offs at Concord Oval and St Marys RL Stadium in the past, maybe there could be a few more in the future. "Rugby fans are a bunch of tweed coat wearing tossers", mmmm? Might've been the case in the 60s but I haven't seen a tweed coat at a rugby match for many years. However, you might be right on the tosser count, in my experience once an alickadoo gets his arse comfortable at one of the established clubs he's not interested in the advancement of rugby beyond the success of said club. Before critics reach for their cudgels consider the concern the established clubs have for the development of rugby in western Sydney.

And do I have to mention the arguement that we have had about the reaction to Shute Shield Clubs and the Brummbies players in the ACT......

M

mushtaq

Also heard a very sad rumour that you could fit all the attendants at Penrith's first training in a Tarago.
I really hope this is untrue, lots of good hardworking supporters out they alone deserve a good year, hope it picks up for them.
I might be in the minority but I always enjoy my trip to Penrith and an Emu Burger or two.

Penrith have signed Mark Murray - a centre from NZ who was on the fringes of last year's Waikato team. He spent the last three Shute Shield rounds of 2011 with the Emus on trial. He arrived in Sydney yesterday.

I know of at least one other from the Waikato region who has signed with Penrith too. So hopefully things will pick up once a few new faces link up with them.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
Penrith have signed Mark Murray - a centre from NZ who was on the fringes of last year's Waikato team. He spent the last three Shute Shield rounds of 2011 with the Emus on trial. He arrived in Sydney yesterday.

I know of at least one other from the Waikato region who has signed with Penrith too. So hopefully things will pick up once a few new faces link up with them.

Saw Murray play last year. He's not bad. The Emu's brought in 3 guys from Waikato last year. part of the arrangement was that Penrith would provide accommodation. .......they put mattresses on the floor of the clubhouse and said, 'macca's is up the road boys, showers downstairs'.

Welcome to sydney club rugby!

C

CoachTB

Parramatta have definitely lost the following:

Sione Taula - Canberra
Richard Just - Work commitments
James Riddell - Perth
Lua Vailoaloa - Melbourne
Tyler Stevens - Canberra

Unsure if they have taken appropriate steps to replace these guys or who they have picked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.