• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Parra 19 Manly 26. Good spirit from the Two Blues boys but some less than perfect execution at key times was costly.

Other scores
Warringah 20 Souths 30
Penrith 5 Norths 22
Easts 15 Uni 38
Eastwood 32 Randwick 14
Gordon 8 Wests 15

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Give Uni a break - why would they want to play against a team that had a few weeks prior had been beaten for the second year running by NSW Subbies and even had a subbies player from the NSW Subbies side on the Country Bench.

If they are serious about the game it should be played on an origin basis from the players in the Shute Shield competition, they should then play a Shute Shield U/23 side vs. a country only County side. The Country Origin bench could be made up of the country only side players.

The concept is good but they need to make it more transparent and actually place some importance on it - for instance all players in the waratahs who have played less than 50 mins of game time at that point should have been available if they were eligible -

Sydney Uni shouldn't be made to apologise for their success - I recall in the mid-nineties a Uni centre shifting to a Subbies club and in three weeks going from Kentwell Cup to Whiddon Cup (3rd Grade) he went back to Uni and two weeks later was back in 1st Grade and Captain! Every dog has it's day and UNI are having theirs this decade! 20 years ago who would have thought Randwick would be at the bottom of the Shute Shield ladder...
Steve, the original issue was Shute Shield club's support or otherwise for this fixture.
Do Club's allow/encourage their players to play or do they direct/discourage their players from playing?
The details like selection guidelines, where it's played, kick off time and who brings which water bottles can be worked out later.
So, do we want the concept of Sydney V Country to survive and prosper or for it to die on the vine?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Someone asked me today when Uni became so strong in grade and colts. Not being from Sydney I had no idea. Has Uni always been dominant? When did it start?

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Someone asked me today when Uni became so strong in grade and colts. Not being from Sydney I had no idea. Has Uni always been dominant? When did it start?

Started early to mid 90's when they offered free scholarships to Jim Williams and Mark Catchpole and grew from there. Back in the middle ages when I was playing......we were pumping their 3rd grade side by about 40 at half time. Their captain came over to our huddle and asked if we could stop playing so hard..............it went down real well

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Give Uni a break - why would they want to play against a team that had a few weeks prior had been beaten for the second year running by NSW Subbies and even had a subbies player from the NSW Subbies side on the Country Bench.

If they are serious about the game it should be played on an origin basis from the players in the Shute Shield competition, they should then play a Shute Shield U/23 side vs. a country only County side. The Country Origin bench could be made up of the country only side players.

The concept is good but they need to make it more transparent and actually place some importance on it - for instance all players in the waratahs who have played less than 50 mins of game time at that point should have been available if they were eligible -

Sydney Uni shouldn't be made to apologise for their success - I recall in the mid-nineties a Uni centre shifting to a Subbies club and in three weeks going from Kentwell Cup to Whiddon Cup (3rd Grade) he went back to Uni and two weeks later was back in 1st Grade and Captain! Every dog has it's day and UNI are having theirs this decade! 20 years ago who would have thought Randwick would be at the bottom of the Shute Shield ladder...

My understanding was that the sides were supposed to be selected from the best available 'un-signed' Shute Shield players. NSW Country asked the Sydney clubs to nominate players of Country Origin. Additionally, Sydney Rugby asked clubs to nominate eligible players also.

I have no issues with the sides being selected from players who do not have super rugby or aru deals. The issue I have is that 3 players this year played in the match who have deals. Seems a little unfair to the un-signed bloke who wanted to have a crack.

The other issue I have is this whole nomination process...for both teams. It should be a selection process. After all, they are two fairly important rep squads.......surely both Unions have the resources to have an open and transparent selection policy based on form and not what club likes their players the most!

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Noticed that rugby heaven have now got highlights for club rugby up on their website. I think this is a good development and they should be commended for it, I wonder though if it is in response to the G&GR 3rd teir campaign?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
My understanding was that the sides were supposed to be selected from the best available 'un-signed' Shute Shield players. NSW Country asked the Sydney clubs to nominate players of Country Origin. Additionally, Sydney Rugby asked clubs to nominate eligible players also.

I have no issues with the sides being selected from players who do not have super rugby or aru deals. The issue I have is that 3 players this year played in the match who have deals. Seems a little unfair to the un-signed bloke who wanted to have a crack.

The other issue I have is this whole nomination process.for both teams. It should be a selection process. After all, they are two fairly important rep squads...surely both Unions have the resources to have an open and transparent selection policy based on form and not what club likes their players the most!
The match has lost it's significance / relevance .
It originally served as a selection game for the NSW side , pre Super Rugby , & because of this it featured many of the best players in Australia at the time.
Now you have 2nd graders being selected.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Disappointing second half from the Two Blues at Coogee today, losing 26-42 to Randwick with both sides taking a bonus point. Some poor choices in attack and defence plus some referee decisions that went against us left the Parra faithful feeling very deflated. Thommo appeared to be particularly disappointed with the ref.

Other scores
Norths 35 Warringah 19
Souths 28 Easts 27
Manly 41 Wests 21

Hopefully the young Parra side can learn from the poor choices in the second half in time for Back to Parra Day next week when Parra host Uni. Should be a cracker.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Huge sigh of relief from the Brook Street Bunker, I would imagine.

Disappointing for the Two Blues though. Their performance this year has been as impressive as the Wicks has been poor.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Huge sigh of relief from the Brook Street Bunker, I would imagine.
Yes, you are right, it was remiss of me not to congratulate Randwick on their win. They scored some nice tries in the second half, and their young fullback, whose name I didn't catch, seems promising :)

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Mitchell was at fullback. Previous post was tongue in cheek. I saw him score 1 try, but didn't see the whole game.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
According to the IRB website Ofa Faingaanuku is registeredwith Manly. Can anyone confirm this? I know he played a bit of colts there many moons ago.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Eastwood won 32-29. They led 18-8 at half time.
Was an entertaining game - another couple of minutes and Uni would've been in again but for some poor execution. Eastwood looked the better team for almost all of the match, but two quick tries got Uni back into the game.

The binning of Matty Schwager in the 2nd half didn't help Uni's cause - any idea what it was for Bruce?

Cyril Towers (30)
Was an entertaining game - another couple of minutes and Uni would've been in again but for some poor execution. Eastwood looked the better team for almost all of the match, but two quick tries got Uni back into the game.

The binning of Matty Schwager in the 2nd half didn't help Uni's cause - any idea what it was for Bruce?
I think Schwags was binned for interfering with the Woodies halfback at the breakdown (presumably after a warning as I thought this is what halfbacks are paid for).
For what it's worth, I thought the Woodies deserved their win today. Alcock and Macafrey jnr were particularly good, as was Snowden(good Tamworth Pirates lad).
Well done Woodies. I look forward to our next encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.