• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
Shute Shield is the closest thing we got the the 3rd tier, should try and get the majority of players in there.

Geographically it's not probable to run a 3rd tier in Australia (unlike NZ). Still think its better to start with young guys playing cause they love the game, their club and mates and if it turns out that they're good enough to play professionally then they have a balanced start, as opposed to the current situation where 15 yr olds are running around with managers and only are interested in the finance and not the game, which is why many of them still go to league.

It also gives every one a chance to catch up physically and to see how they handle the step up to senior rugby as opposed to the wild guess scenario that exists now where kids are herded into "elite squads" in the hope that their talent stays with them into their 20's.

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
Geographically it's not probable to run a 3rd tier in Australia (unlike NZ). Still think its better to start with young guys playing cause they love the game, their club and mates and if it turns out that they're good enough to play professionally then they have a balanced start, as opposed to the current situation where 15 yr olds are running around with managers and only are interested in the finance and not the game, which is why many of them still go to league.

It also gives every one a chance to catch up physically and to see how they handle the step up to senior rugby as opposed to the wild guess scenario that exists now where kids are herded into "elite squads" in the hope that their talent stays with them into their 20's.
Agree with the sentiment. Agents signing 15 year olds is a sad reality and rather pointless as there is very little that a manager can do for a kid at 15 anyway. Third tier In rugby exists already in the premier comp in Qld and Shute shield and it must be working reasonably well, we are one of the top nations in world rugby, an Australian franchise is the current super 15 champs, we perform very well internationally at under 20s. We do all this with the threat of league and Aussie rules unlike our major international competitors. Our junior participation levels are holding up well despite this competion for the juniors. Why this fascination with a new third tier. The reality is that many administers of clubs have dreams of grandure but no financials to support it. The franchises are the pro teams we are feeders for them all and not just Qld clubs for the reds and shute shields for the warratahs. We in club land are here to make sure players of all skill set get a game and develop their skills to make the pros if they are good enough. The clubs are doing this well based on the results, it's not perfect I know but that is the reality. Embrace it, let's all help develop some great wallabies and enjoy the game at club level for what it is. A club will never own a player. A club after all is about having members/players that choose to be there.

K

Keithy

The 2nd tier can't support it self financially, the Tahs and Reds have needed ARU support and the Brumbies may need it this year. How will a 3rd tier go? No TV money will be offered to a comp the lacks the high profile names. The current Shute Shield tv deal requires the clubs to pay money to the ABC.
The East Coast Pro Comp is the dreams of a few clubs like Sydney Uni.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
the sooner the clubs stop paying players, the better it will be for the financial health of those clubs.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Uni teams for Friday - Bruce, I appreciate SuperXV guys are gone but are there any other experienced guys not playing as this looks like a pretty young squad. Assume Mafi at 150 by 150 (ie beach ball) is a typo.

NAME HEIGHT - CM WEIGHT - KG
1. Dylan Evans 182 113
2. James Riches 182 104
3. Sam Talakai 182 125
4. Liam Winton 195 110
5. Oli Atkins 200 117
6. Anthony Pohlen 191 102
7. Jono Jenkins 185 98
8. Dave Hickey 183 96
9. David Fong 173 76
10. Stephano Hunt 180 83
11. Terence Dodd 190 93
12. James Dargaville 186 94
13. James McMahon 180 92
14. Zubayr Abrahams 182 88
15. Angus Roberts 186 92

1. Pieter van der Merwe 183 125
2. Matt Mafi 150 150
3. Joe Horn-Smith 181 114
4. Byron Hodge 198 114
5. Edward Burrett 200 111
6. Kurt Larsen 191 107
7. Benn Melrose 185 95
8. Jack de Guigand 180 97
9. Cale Holmes 180 89
10. TBC
11. Mark O'Dare 181 90
12. James Swan 183 97
13. Levi Dodd 182 93
14. Will Du Plessis 183 86
15. Stuart Dunbar 175 80

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes, lincoln, it is an extremely young squad. Obviously there are some players still to come back from injury and a few from holidays but that's basically what the coaches will be working with. They will be competitive.

Being willing to take on Samoa and then Tonga in trials is an indication that Todd Louden expects them to play as men not boys.

I suspect that the Matt Mafi stats might have been a deliberate typo.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Surely 150 by 150 would be more wrecking ball than beach ball. Am very interested to see how they go - anyone know the details of the game(s)?

I think your assumption is correct, Jnor. Being hit by young Mafi would feel much more like a wrecking ball than a beach ball. The game starts at 5:30 on Friday at the Football Stadium as the lead up to the Waratahs' trial against Tonga.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think your assumption is correct, Jnor. Being hit by young Mafi would feel much more like a wrecking ball than a beach ball. The game starts at 5:30 on Friday at the Football Stadium as the lead up to the Waratahs' trial against Tonga.
Cheers Bruce, unfortunately I'll still be overseas so looks like I'll miss it. Luckily I'm sure there will be some accounts to read about both games on these very pages. Are you going to head along?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
In Mexico, Jnor?

Normally I wouldn't miss the game for quids but we have our Sydney Uni Flames women's basketball team playing their last game of the regular series at home. If they win they will very probably make the finals.

I should be able to get a DVD of the rugby game to have a look at.

Rugby is my passion but women's basketball is the next best thing.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Going to be a very interesting year with all the super rugby players missing.

Any word on whether Hugh Perret got a super rugby contract or will he be suiting up for the woodies again?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Greg Growden in the SMH today "......at least four premiership clubs are in financial strife with one on the verge of receivership.....Another club...is teetering & will need big sponsors to once again save them ..."

Rumors have been circulating for several years relating to the above , but some clubs just keep on spending money they don't have , & making promises they can't keep , inevitably getting further & further behind.
It's a grim outlook for Sydney club Rugby.

R

rugbylover2012

my guesses are Southern Districts, Gordon, Penrith and Randwick. Shute Shield could be in some trouble

B

Bucko

Going to be a very interesting year with all the super rugby players missing.

Any word on whether Hugh Perret got a super rugby contract or will he be suiting up for the woodies again?

He will be suiting up for the Woodies again.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In Mexico, Jnor?

Normally I wouldn't miss the game for quids but we have our Sydney Uni Flames women's basketball team playing their last game of the regular series at home. If they win they will very probably make the finals.

I should be able to get a DVD of the rugby game to have a look at.

Rugby is my passion but women's basketball is the next best thing.

Bruce you're dedication is beyond reproach.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce you're dedication is beyond reproach.

Thanks, Cutter, but I watch the girls play for sheer enjoyment. When the rugby season ends I experience a sense of deprivation. I can go and watch cricket but I incline to the view of the Rev. William Temple who in 1914 in an address to parents of pupils at Repton School, Derbyshire said "Personally, I have always looked upon cricket as organised loafing."

At the time when Sydney Uni Sport took over the WNBL franchise for the Flames I thought basketball was a non-contact sport but I very quickly found out differently. The players push and wrestle when marking one another and there are many occasions when girls are knocked to the floor. Unlike soccer players who routinely imitate a dying cockroach whenever there is body contact female basketball players never show signs of being hurt unless really injured. They just bounce back up and get on with the game.

bigtoughguy

Stan Wickham (3)
one of my pet hates on this website is people straying from the topic of the thread. the past two posts are neither interesting or related in any way to the topic of the thread. if we could stop going of on a tangent and get on with talking about the Shute Shield. Thankyou.

In relation to the clubs i think are in financial trouble, probably add warringah to the mix..

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting that someone who has been a member for less than a month should presume to instruct us on what is acceptable material to be posted. Still most of us are always willing to learn and sometimes a fresh set of eyes can perceive things that have been overlooked.

At the risk of once again straying off topic, bigtoughguy – and I plead guilty to being a serial offender – I hope you don’t mind me reproducing all of your posts thus far as an exemplar of how we should be conducting our deliberations in the future:

how are each of the clubs looking this year
which clubs will do well and who will struggle? Souths any good? i saw em in a gf in 2009 i think?
i'll ask again in a couple of weeks..... who is coaching the owls this year?????
any names from the tuggeranong based club in terms of recruits
anyway back to the thread topic.... now that clubs hav started training, how r they all looking player wise?? how r easts and royals looking
if we could stick to the thread topic and not include stupid posts please Davey... anyway back to the thread topic.... now that clubs hav started training, how r they all looking player wise?? how r easts and royals looking
no one in canberra i dont think.... how r royalies lookin heard they were losing some important names in the backline
Eddies were still recruiting in 2007, just thought id correct u there.
which clubs r in trouble
one of my pet hates on this website is people straying from the topic of the thread. the past two posts are neither interesting or related in any way to the topic of the thread. if we could stop going of on a tangent and get on with talking about the Shute Shield. Thankyou.
In relation to the clubs i think are in financial trouble, probably add warringah to the mix..

Once again, bigtoughguy, I crave your indulgence to permit me to go off topic, but I have been wondering. Given your chosen posting name, your penchant for asking questions, and your preoccupation with keeping people in line, are you by any chance a policeman?

Status
Not open for further replies.