• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Keithy

Ole Two Blue tough to read you dishing it to Gordon when Parramatta don't even meat the comp requirements of 7 teams. Parramatta has never lost points or be barred from a comp. for their lack of commitment. What will the comp. do if these guys packup their tent, go and play subbies and Gordon doesn't field a side? 4th grade will be like the colts!

It's funny that Gordon beat Uni during the year (1 of only 2 sides) and were in Uni half after last weekends mess and the rules allow you to forfeit but they were punted. Just funny that.

Craig Hawkings

Frank Row (1)
Good evening Green and Gold forum. I have been advised of this site and have read many but not all the posts on here so i thought i would join with the possibility of contributing in a positive manner. For those that are not aware I am the General Manager of Southern Districts Rugby club in Sydney and rather than use a hidden name i am happy for my comments to be known here- up front. While i know who some people who are on here( more through reading commets than anything else) i respect your decision to keep your identity a secret , but i feel for a pro active comment, i am happy for you to know where i may/may not be coming from. I will value reading and possibly commenting on some posts, while if there are any posts relating to my club, i will be more than happy to deliberate ( either public or private forum)
Thanks to G & G for allowing me to join.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Good evening Green and Gold forum. I have been advised of this site and have read many but not all the posts on here so i thought i would join with the possibility of contributing in a positive manner. For those that are not aware I am the General Manager of Southern Districts Rugby club in Sydney and rather than use a hidden name i am happy for my comments to be known here- up front. While i know who some people who are on here( more through reading commets than anything else) i respect your decision to keep your identity a secret , but i feel for a pro active comment, i am happy for you to know where i may/may not be coming from. I will value reading and possibly commenting on some posts, while if there are any posts relating to my club, i will be more than happy to deliberate ( either public or private forum)

Do you think saifoloi and volavola would benefit from swapping positions?

Craig Hawkings

Frank Row (1)
Do you think saifoloi and volavola would benefit from swapping positions?
I guess its just great to have them both on the field at the same time. Both support the team well and contribute really well to what is a pretty exciting backline. As i am not the coach nor selector , nor do i get to see every game as i stay at Forshaw each week , its best for me to say that i am just stoked they are Rebels and playing to their abilities. It does show franchises that Ben is a versitile player and would be a handy pick up , while Rohan is also one that would not let anyone down at the next level. Opinions are like backsides- everyone has one- so my opinion is that the coaching staff have got the mix right at this stage

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I guess its just great to have them both on the field at the same time. Both support the team well and contribute really well to what is a pretty exciting backline. As i am not the coach nor selector , nor do i get to see every game as i stay at Forshaw each week , its best for me to say that i am just stoked they are Rebels and playing to their abilities. It does show franchises that Ben is a versitile player and would be a handy pick up , while Rohan is also one that would not let anyone down at the next level. Opinions are like backsides- everyone has one- so my opinion is that the coaching staff have got the mix right at this stage

Here's a question I've always wondered if Souths have ever pondered. Has the club ever looked to expand particularly it's juniors base by looking to link up with the Illawarra competition down the road?

Craig Hawkings

Frank Row (1)
South's have certainly benifited from the Illawarra with such players like Andrew Barrett( 2006-08- one of Australian Schools top 3 most capped schoolboys) Asquith ( 2012) as a marquee addition to the Rebels- Previously we had Tyson Frizel ( 2009) who is now with Sharks- so that didnt work out well. Souths respects that fact that the Illawarra has a strong rugby tradition and is mindful of not just cherry picking the best of the area- I personally think that the game needs to be stronger everywhere for it to survive( jumps off soap box) Yes we have looked into some options through a recently formed association with the UOW but it would be more about complimenting rather than raping and pillaging- so both junior areas beneift from the competition. Logistics also provides a stumbling block as the Illawarra is governed by Counrty RU and we are mindful of the responsibilities and traditions of Country week. Souths this year had Sean Barrett as member of our coaching staff so in closing there are many links between the two entities to consider progressing our relationship.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Rather than continue with the garbage line published by nswru and the telegraph today, below is the link to the Gordon 4th grade apology. I suggest reading to become familiar with the full circumstances before commenting.

http://gordonrugby.com.au/news-blog/news/grey-beards-apologise
Read it and have to say while the Grey Beards express some laudable, in an old fashioned white bread north shore sort of way, sentiments its disingenuous. As I said a few pages back go and play at Lindfield. While ever Shute Shield sits directly below Super 15 - see Craig Hawkings comments above( it is a showcase for the franchises) - the forfeit in the now over hyped 4's (sorry Jarse, love your work) was unacceptable. Professionalism has seen to that. Before I get beaten up, i fully appreciate the carnage that changing demographics and the rise of other sports has wrought on Gordon and it seems regrettably Randwick.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
the 4th grade comp has never had so much air time. even getting a coloumn in the telegraph. well done to gordon 4th's, really putting the competition on the map.
Yes the lower grades in general, Im an ex Gorden player and played several years of finals that we fought like dogs to win. Im really saddened and ashamed to hear the Highlanders good name sullied by it but Gordon can only blame themselves for being in this position. They used to be alot better organised.
In my last year we had fifths and I cant remember when we didnt have at least 1 player on the bench.
What is also sad is that Grade has lost around 180 players each week from 8 years or so ago. I think there half a dozen Subbies clubs that would leave 4-5 Grade clubs for dead in general organisation and proffessionalism
And the story that beat this one was back in 2004 when we played Norths in an elimination final and their pack was on the back page of the Telly because they weighed in at 900kg+, bigger than some international packs at the time...actually and now!. It included a couple of ex internationl league players from Samoa and an extra from the Matrix:D
Lots of tackling that day

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
What actual relationship do you have with senior Subbies club in the area, Oatley, St George, Burreneer, Rockdale?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Welcome to Gaggerland to the chief Hobbit.

A lot of what is here is old rugbyites just crapping on. But there is a lot of gold dust among the chaff.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
South's have certainly benifited from the Illawarra with such players like Andrew Barrett( 2006-08- one of Australian Schools top 3 most capped schoolboys) Asquith ( 2012) as a marquee addition to the Rebels- Previously we had Tyson Frizel ( 2009) who is now with Sharks- so that didnt work out well. Souths respects that fact that the Illawarra has a strong rugby tradition and is mindful of not just cherry picking the best of the area- I personally think that the game needs to be stronger everywhere for it to survive( jumps off soap box) Yes we have looked into some options through a recently formed association with the UOW but it would be more about complimenting rather than raping and pillaging- so both junior areas beneift from the competition. Logistics also provides a stumbling block as the Illawarra is governed by Counrty RU and we are mindful of the responsibilities and traditions of Country week. Souths this year had Sean Barrett as member of our coaching staff so in closing there are many links between the two entities to consider progressing our relationship.

If you don't mind, could you detail some of the arrangement with UOW (I'm a student there and may be playing with them next season). What I was suggesting was more of an amalgamation than an exercise in cherry picking. Thanks for the reply.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
I noticed Nick Cummins and Cadern Neville are in the wallabies squad assembling in Perth, will they continue to play club footy?

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
With respect, Craig, I think that it is in the interests of both Souths and the Illawarra for the best prospects from the steel city to be cherry picked and brought into the Sydney Premiership competition.

I have had strong roots in the Illawarra (with both of the connotations that that suggests). I was foundation President of the Woonona Shamrocks back in 1970 and I always maintained that the Club should be focussed on producing and developing players who would graduate to the higher levels of the sport. As in most areas of my life I was marching to a different drum than other people and so the Club has remained focussed on keeping its players in the local competition, which means that some very talented players have never reached their real potential.

Tribalism is very strong in Illawarra rugby, so it is likely that many players who moved to Sydney to play in the Shute Shield and perhaps went on to play professionally would eventually go back to their home town and employ their expertise to enrich their original clubs.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rather than continue with the garbage line published by nswru and the telegraph today, below is the link to the Gordon 4th grade apology. I suggest reading to become familiar with the full circumstances before commenting.

http://gordonrugby.com.au/news-blog/news/grey-beards-apologise
I have considerable sympathy with the Gordon Club over this matter. It now appears that the link mentioned has been disabled but for a considerable period of time today a large number of comments relating to the apology were posted. Among them was one purporting to have been written by Tommy Carter which was very obviously fake. It however had the desired effect of causing a great deal of abuse and ridicule to be heaped on him. I am disappointed that the Club did not immediately remove the fake post.

Tommy Carter may have many faults and he never holds back in stirring opposing players on the field, including Waratahs team mates. But he is also a consummate professional who would not do anything to damage the sport. The idea that he would lower himself to have such a cheap shot at the Gordon Club and its Fourth Grade team is ridiculous.

M

Mr Magoo

I agree and have sympathy for Gordon here. They have been judged before the full facts were public. It's amazing how quickly the rumour mill works and the end result was that Gordon were out of the competition before they met with Sydney Rugby on Monday night. This was despite the Sydney Rugby official at the ground on Sunday advising Gordon that they were well within the rules to forfeit and there were no penalties.
Having said that to forfeit is not in the best interest of our game. I believe that there are many deeper problems than this event and this is just the result of issues in the background. Many clubs are struggling for numbers and sponsorship dollars somewhat due to poor management but also because the environment is changing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
.....Many clubs are struggling for numbers and sponsorship dollars somewhat due to poor management but also because the environment is changing.
I don't believe that any SS Club has a sponsor involved purely foron commercial reasons.
What would a jersey sponsor pay for the right?What is it's economic value? In many SS games, the crowd is little more than lower graders,wives,girlfriends and family.
That is the commercial reality of today's SS.It has nought to do with the quality of management employed by some clubs.In fact some clubs don't even have paid management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom