• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Manly is a cricket oval.terrible to watch Rugby from the flying saucer! Even worse upstairs in the 200 club!!! Rat Park, Coogee, Concord get my vote

The art of watching rugby at Manly is to eat and drink your fill in the 200 club before 3pm and adjourn to Rat Kill Hill.

Speaking of Rat kill a red letter day for the Marlins in the derby today - All 7 grades with a bonus point, Rats no points any grade......

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Manly will be fucked come final's time if they haven't got a kicker. D'Arcy was shithouse once again today. To this day don't understand what this guy offers. I think the North's coaches had it right when they played him as a reggie.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gordon v Southern Districts @ Chatswood Oval 3pm
Predicted: Hobbits by 15-20. Powerful team from the Hobbits.
Result: Gordon 28 Souths 66 - Hobbits too powerful for the prediction.

Penrith v Randwick @Nepean Rugby Park 3pm
Predicted: Wicks by plenty.
Result: Penrith 19 Randwick 52 - As predicted.

Northern Suburbs v Sydney University @North Sydney Oval 3pm
Predicted: Uni by 15-20. Enough starpower from Uni to win by 50 but Norths are tough buggers and will not give up easily.
Result: Norths 19 Uni 64 - Norths not quite the tough buggers as predicted.

Warringah v Manly @Pittwater Rugby Park 3pm
Predicted:MMM by 10. Should be lots more, but tribal hatred will add 6 inches, 10 kg and 3 extra paces to the Rats players.
Result: Warringah 22 MMM 45 - was lots more with tribalism not providing the extras as predicted.

Eastwood v Parramatta @ T G Millner Field 3pm
Predicted:Woodies by 20-25. Injuries at Mighty 2 Blues has drained plenty of petrol from their tank.
Result: Eastwood 56 Parramatta 20 - 2 Blues tank a little emptier than thought. Woodies coming right at the business end of the season.

Eastern Suburbs v West Harbour @ Woollahra Oval 3.10pm
Predicted: Beasties by 8-15 in a ding dong battle. Home field advantage will bring them home.
Result: Easts 33 Wests 26 - nearly got it right.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Tough day for Two Blues supporters at TG Millner today. Parra in it right up to their necks with the score at 8-10 with seconds before halftime only to concede a try (nicely taken) to Ben Batger, my MOM, to give Eastwood a 15-8 halftime lead. Eastwood ran away with it in the second half. Well done Woodies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly will be fucked come final's time if they haven't got a kicker. D'Arcy was shithouse once again today. To this day don't understand what this guy offers. I think the North's coaches had it right when they played him as a reggie.

Lily, he won he game for us last week, I don't think he was first choice kicker for Ulster so it been a while without kicking. Prior to heading off shore his stats said he could kick.
We have a few kickers in need Chesters, Marshall, BJ.
Then there's Reece as well from colts.

How's Kotoni's ankle?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

Cruel but fair.
Problem is,BJ has not set the world on fire this year.
Who else is there?

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
Darcy wouldn't of kicked a behind in AFL yesterday he was that bad. BJ can't kick either. They're in trouble come finals time without the extra points off the boot

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I went to North Sydney Oval (Norths v Uni') yesterday.

Each time that Will Skelton had the ball it usually took several Norths 'players to bring him down (reminds me of Gulliver and the Lilliputians).

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I went to North Sydney Oval (Norths v Uni') yesterday.

Each time that Will Skelton had the ball it usually took several Norths 'players to bring him down (reminds me of Gulliver and the Lilliputians).
You should have seen him playing colts!!!

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Ruthless performance by colts that put a rats team away that was on a good run of wins, Rats only try came on the bell against a Manly side down to 13.
Good to see Matt Philip back for the first half, and it is hoped water boy Rhys will be back for the run into the finals.
Firsts controlled the forwards as expected, Ed had a ding dong battle all day with Holmes and came out on top. Against the stronger packs they will have to work a lot harder for the dominance that came easily against the Rats yesterday, Ed led the way in the forwards. Set pieces were strong through size, and technique, and we muscled a number of tight heads when required.
Matt Lucas was a real general at 9 with some sniping runs and always delivering quality ball.
We pushed some passes at times behind the add line whish resulted in turned over ball, this left us exposed and the Rats counter attacked.
The Rats also caught us knapping on a couple of quick taps and they marched us down field.
Any news on Kotoni's ankle?

sooty

Stan Wickham (3)
I started this sub-thread about the best park in response to a comment that Uni have quality sports fields.

My assessment of Rat Park, TG Millner and Concord/St Lukes is based on the whole package (similar to Tah and feathered criteria).

In no particular order:
Playing field surface - especially drainage and absence of a rock hard clay cricket square
Canteen - food, BBQ, liquid refreshments
Parking, and access to major roads
Public Transport
Dressing sheds
Warm up area
Training facilities for Colts and Grade (particularly surface and drainage on the training ovals if they are not at the main location)
Lighting (for training primarily)
Spectator convenience and atmosphere
Space/facilities for the Club Administration
Medical Facilities - Pre-game strapping and other Physio stuff, emergency vehicle access and treatment/assessment/triage areas while waiting for the ambulance.
Local Government Attitude - primarily wrt wet weather training and games.

While Uni have a superb overall package and lead the way in many components of the total rugby package, some of their infrastructure aspects from both a training and spectator point of view are not competition leading: Parking, Playing and training surfaces being two areas that could be improved.

Forshaw Park probably deserves a mention as well, but it kind of loses points because of the "vibe" of getting there. It kind of seems to be a real effort to find it, twisting and turning into the depths of suburbia. That being said, Rat Park and TG Millner are probably similarly "tucked away" off the main track. Maybe it's just a Shire/hobbit thing.

Been attending club rugby since the late 70's and this is what I would say. Not many ovals are on a main road that's for sure. Not many have parking within a 1 minute walk for less than the national debt. Try parking at Manly, Coogee without taking out a loan- Uni you can run the gauntlet or try and get some undercover parking- Wests is good luck with the local streets- Rat park, perfect, Forshaw- there are cheap options and free if you know where you are going, NSO- good luck, Penrith and Parramatta easy but never really a problem while TG Milner is very good. Woollahra- no chance unless you get there for 4th grade( and oval by May is crap) and lastly Chatswood( see NSO, Woollahra).

Facilities/food- all seem pretty good standard and I cant recall anyone being sued for food poisoning- some good cheap options while others charge like a wounded bull. An arvo at Coogee oval sitting in the sun can be an issue- same at Rat Park and Woollahra while Uni, Chatswood , Manly and NSO you are a fair way from the action. Forshaw - options on club house side and the same for Concord and TG Milner. But sitting in the sun on some winters afternoons with nice cold beer makes for a good day out

Change rooms- too small at some grounds like Penrith and Chatswood - some of the old ones at Coogee where you had to duck to get in. Again TG, Concord, Rat park and Forshaw all good( interesting that the smallest room at Forshaw is used by there 1st grade sides) Like the rooms at NSO though. Parra and Penrith last time I was there were poor . Uni good size as is Manly and Easts

No doubt you are all protective of your clubs and no one is hosting the Wallabies vs. All Blacks test so take the grounds for what they are and it is obvious some are on a standard while others need a lot of work. It would be better though if every week ALL grounds were full of people watching some great rugby.

My top 4 - TG Milner - Forshaw- Rat Park and Concord

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Forshaw Park probably deserves a mention as well, but it kind of loses points because of the "vibe" of getting there. It kind of seems to be a real effort to find it, twisting and turning into the depths of suburbia.

think you need a new gps :p its only one street off port hacking rd which leads onto the princes highway!!

although parking can be shit if you don't manage to get one in Dalton house next door :(

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Concord gets my vote for best all-round playing surface, facilities for players and spectators. The only downside for visitors (and I suspect most Wests supporters) is the bloody annoyingly noisy lower graders during the 1st grade game. What a pain in the arse they are!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When does Brisbane Premier Rugby finish?

Does SRU endorse Sport Parachuting?

The Wicks could indeed be a dark horse if we see a repeat of 2005 (or whatever year it was) when they embraced Sport Parachuting.

Status
Not open for further replies.