• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree it will come from current top 4 and picking up on the Manly kicking problem it could very well decide MMM's fate.Will have a pack capable of stretching any of their rivals but if position ain't converted to points in tight ones forget it .

I'm struck by how well Uni kick through the grades. Yet another example of attention to detail and the need in those clubs who aspire to devote resources in that direction.
Rumour I heard Marlins have a gun kicker coming, whilst at Suntory Peter Hewart has privately been teaching George Smith the art of goal kicking, George Smith will be returning to the Marlins as our first choice kicker against Nths

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Are there different rules for George Smith - surely he has to play his club footy in Canberra?
Smith is Manly through and through, but he is also Brumbies through and though, you seriously think Smith is coming back to club rugby, that'll alone be banging them over from every where. We'd love to have him back but I think Suntory maybe calling.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I always rated him but its a bit odd as we already have Scotland first choice SH and the future number 9 on the bench...
I think he will be well suited to Scottish Rugby and I guess the lure of international rugby was too big to miss

JT0406

Allen Oxlade (6)
Off topic, can someone let me how i go about getting a copy of Syd Uni Vs Norths game played on Sat 27.7.13?

Thanks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So long as there are no raiding parties conducted on the Emus gene pool, that would be a brilliant idea.

It should also involve a session or two at Moore Park if it can be swung. It is Tah's off season isn't it for the next wee while.

Does this "suggestion" have SUFC HQ backing or is it a concept that a player is banding around?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What does the forum think of a long-time current player from Uni suggesting that Penrith players and coaches come to Uni for a couple of hours each week to train - utilising Uni's facilities, coaching and training staff?

Des, I know your post was a positive idea and I hate being negative on it however I'd have some concerns as per below,

So another form of recruitment is it, quality stays, rest return to the west?

I don't have answers, but a different thought you have put forward.
Along way to travel, cost, even more so with work commitments, peak hour etc.

Why not send Uni Players out west to train etc. for a couple of training sessions, our hours each week, I think that may have more success as it would be a team environment.

Is there varying facilities out west still in operation were money got spent with the Olympics.

I'd love to see the west developed, I do think there is potential. Yes, BUT, why aren't the other codes succeeding out their either?????
Huge potential, BUT, Penrith haven't been in finals contention for a while, GWS is in line for the spoon, I ask, where is the talent going then?

There we go, even HJ made reference to raiding parties - at least I wasn't first.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Des, I know your post was a positive idea and I hate being negative on it however I'd have some concerns as per below,

So another form of recruitment is it, quality stays, rest return to the west?

I don't have answers, but a different thought you have put forward.
Along way to travel, cost, even more so with work commitments, peak hour etc.

Why not send Uni Players out west to train etc. for a couple of training sessions, our hours each week, I think that may have more success as it would be a team environment.

Is there varying facilities out west still in operation were money got spent with the Olympics.

I'd love to see the west developed, I do think there is potential. Yes, BUT, why aren't the other codes succeeding out their either?????
Huge potential, BUT, Penrith haven't been in finals contention for a while, GWS is in line for the spoon, I ask, where is the talent going then?

There we go, even HJ made reference to raiding parties - at least I wasn't first.

My first thought when I read Des' suggestion was that the Penrith players wouldn't travel so I think Dave's alternative is more likely to work.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

Don't quote me but isn't there a soccer team out that way that's been going all right, Dave?

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Am concerned at the SS referees rulings at scrum time. Following the international trend, the first scrum in every match is now a free kick for early engagement.

At the Woods v Parra game last week the ref took this scrum farce to a new level - awarding free kicks on both the first and second scrum (against the scrum feed on both occasions) for early engagement and I would estimate that over half the scrums in the match were penalised for early engagement (there was hardly any collapses). The dominant Eastwood scrum was largely neutralised. If I was a SS coach I would seriously consider playing extra breakaways as props as the refs are too pedantic on engagement and have no idea who is responsible for scrum collapses. If most scrums are going to be a free kick then good front rows are irrelevant. Unlike at international and super rugby level I am not seeing the dominant scrum being rewarded.

I expressed this view to the referee during the game from the clubhouse verandah but he didn't seem to pay any attention.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Am concerned at the SS referees rulings at scrum time. Following the international trend, the first scrum in every match is now a free kick for early engagement.

At the Woods v Parra game last week the ref took this scrum farce to a new level - awarding free kicks on both the first and second scrum (against the scrum feed on both occasions) for early engagement and I would estimate that over half the scrums in the match were penalised for early engagement (there was hardly any collapses). The dominant Eastwood scrum was largely neutralised. If I was a SS coach I would seriously consider playing extra breakaways as props as the refs are too pedantic on engagement and have no idea who is responsible for scrum collapses. If most scrums are going to be a free kick then good front rows are irrelevant. Unlike at international and super rugby level I am not seeing the dominant scrum being rewarded.

I expressed this view to the referee during the game from the clubhouse verandah but he didn't seem to pay any attention.

Scrums are great, battle, technique, and its part of the history of our game. Keep them.

Ruling's, Interpretations of scrums by lanky refs wearing bifocals who have NFI really gives me the shits.

I asked a quality World Cup ref once, do you really know what happens in scrums. We notice problems and legalities yes, but often we have no idea. We are told crowds don't want to watch scrums so make a call based on interpretation and the game being played - is that fair????

Is that fair - depends on the ref. Your comments sound like it was a poor ref, another ref may have managed the game and the scrums a different way.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Rob, the current approach to early engagements is to take puntitive action (free kick or escalate to penalty). Managing the situation is not an option. Therefore if the players infringe at the first scrum, there will be a free kick. For mine, I would ask why the players infringe at the first scrum when they know what will happen. Therefore the players are either infringing or the referee is making a judgment error and I know which is more likely.

Referees do consider scrum dominace in their decisions but not in relation to early engagement, so I think the dominace of the Eastwood scrum is irrelevant in this situation.

The referee in this game is a Super Rugby referee so there should be consistency with the Super Rugby approach.

I did not see this game but I have heard that this was a good performance from the referee at scrum time where the players were the problem.

Therefore I would ask you whether you think the problem is the approach rather than the referee performance and how you think that the referee could have handled the scrum differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.