• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Did a committee made up of Stephen Hoiles, Adam Freier & Simon Poidevan make a recommendation to the Board on the Randwick coaching make up for 2013?

Did that same committee put forward Stallion rugby as their preferred?

Don't some of that committee work for Stallion: http://www.stallionsportinggroup.com.au/hire-a-star-detail/rugby-union/

My understanding (from the rumour mill) is that Wade Kelly was not the first choice, in fact he was about #3.
Anyone have any inside info?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

nomis

Herbert Moran (7)
Here is where I think many have it wrong blaming Club Rugby for poor player development.
I know of at least 4 young footballers who are in Academies or fringe Super Squads who are now expert at running around cones and running ladders, they are excellent in the gym. All 4, before they went into the system and were playing club rugby would play with injury, strap ankles and get on with it but now if they feel a twinge, during one of the 3 maybe 4 games they actually play will leave the field.
One missed half a season to stay fit for the u20 disgrace.
The players, when they left the clubs were fitter, stronger and more athletic than past years.
It is the post club development that is the problem. They train and train and may get a run in the ACT comp.

Haha. Nice comment. I would agree that club rugby is better at developing players than warehousing them for significant lengths of time. And I think club rugby (esp. the Shute Shield) has a significant and traditional place in the AUS rugby landscape that we need to maintain and enhance. We should be wanting to better promote it as much as possible. But we can do this even if we don't expect it to be the best system to develop players below Super Rugby. There may be a better and complementary way to do this.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Having coached a club with a lot of Polynesian players, I reckon the argument is an absolute furphy.

We trotted it out if we didn't want to play on Sunday because we knew what all the boys got up to on Saturday night!

I don't know of a single current Super player or NRL player who refuses to play on Sunday.

The only guy I know who refuses to play on Sundays is Scottish prop, Euan Murray.

Perhaps we can put the kibosh on it in order to let more Scots play in the Shute Shield.
Unlike yourself ,I have seen a number of players who would not play on Sunday ,& this includes not being available for a finals game.
It's particularly evident among the colts who,presumably ,are more likely to be influenced by their family.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NRL has a big Poly contingent, they also play 2-3 games a week on a Sunday. I can't recall anyone missing a game due to religious reasons in the last 5 years. I doubt the NRL altered any schedules to prevent this as well.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
NRL has a big Poly contingent, they also play 2-3 games a week on a Sunday. I can't recall anyone missing a game due to religious reasons in the last 5 years. I doubt the NRL altered any schedules to prevent this as well.
Playing on Sunday comes with the territory in the NRL , & their players know that when they sign their contract.
Union is not played on Sunday often in the Shute Shield .
If it was a regular occurrence I believe that SOME of the current grade & colts players may not play , & perhaps switch to a Saturday competition such
as the Sub Districts comp.

C

Clubrugbytv

That's absolutely correct. It would be great if the games were played at 5.30/6.00pm on Saturady evenings. People could leave school footy, watch the great Shute Shield games and at 7.30, watch Super Rugby at thier local club house - on the sideline at Easts it's great to hear the roar of the crowd......when Scot's score! Madness to go head to head with that product - better to run off the back of it.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Playing on Sunday comes with the territory in the NRL , & their players know that when they sign their contract.
Union is not played on Sunday often in the Shute Shield .
If it was a regular occurrence I believe that SOME of the current grade & colts players may not play , & perhaps switch to a Saturday competition such
as the Sub Districts comp.

This was also a "reason" (one amongst a number, admittedly) trotted out by the opponents to the revamped Sydney Junior Competition - that the Saturday Comp lads "couldn't play on Sunday becasue....etc etc". That being said, when the competitons became based on on "when" rather than "where" one could play - there was a significant increase in the quality of the A competitions, generally speaking - and the Sunday rugby didn't affect too many of the PI lads participation if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by.

That is not to say that Saturday rugby should not be pursued - I believe it should be - to allow as many people as possible to participate. Possibly something the Clubs and NSWRU could try to assist with ??

Unfortunately as with all matters rugby - first you need a suitable playing venue, and then you can worry about who uses to maximize it's use.

Apologies for being slightly off topic - but I thought there was enough of a link to justify the input...

Cheers
The Hound

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
I coached a player a few years ago that dominated Tim Bennett's at CHS level but because his dad was a minister he couldn't play on Sunday's. Although when selected he was told by myself and several others that this may be a reality. When it came to pick him up to play against ISA on the Sunday at Rat Park he was a no show. This continued until Tim Rapp, Clayto and Rudd told me that unless he get his act together he would no longer be selected. We had helped fund raise for the child but unfortunately he couldn't be involved due to the Sunday game.
This same problem continued the following year when the Colts organiser's decided to play semi finals on Sundays. He and a couple of other players couldn't participate in a team that lost to Uni at the death in 2008. Hooper and Bergelin were members of this team. He played first grade the following year when Phil Blake was the coach and is still doing missionary work.

B

BellyTwoBlues

Like my colleague Craig Hawkings from Southern Districts, I thought I'd answer some issues that have been raised in relation to Parra. This is Michael Bell - GM of Parra.

Couple of things I'd like to clarify in no particular order.

1- just because we've haven't recruited players from other Sydney clubs, does not mean we haven't been active in the player market.
2- Hugh Jarse, you have been complimentary and supportive of not only myself but also the Two Blues. Thanks. Most appreciated. Please send me a private message (I do not know how to here yet) for a more detailed chat.
3- Tom Heslop will not be joining us next year. Or atleast if he does, it will be off his own bat as no-one has approached him from Parramatta.

I'm sure there's more, but that'll do for now. It's still hard to type with a broken wrist.

B

BellyTwoBlues

This was also a "reason" (one amongst a number, admittedly) trotted out by the opponents to the revamped Sydney Junior Competition - that the Saturday Comp lads "couldn't play on Sunday becasue..etc etc". That being said, when the competitons became based on on "when" rather than "where" one could play - there was a significant increase in the quality of the A competitions, generally speaking - and the Sunday rugby didn't affect too many of the PI lads participation if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by.

That is not to say that Saturday rugby should not be pursued - I believe it should be - to allow as many people as possible to participate. Possibly something the Clubs and NSWRU could try to assist with ??

Unfortunately as with all matters rugby - first you need a suitable playing venue, and then you can worry about who uses to maximize it's use.

Apologies for being slightly off topic - but I thought there was enough of a link to justify the input.

Cheers
The Hound

We'd be one of the clubs where our numbers would suffer significantly if we played on a Sunday. Maybe a first grade only game on a sunday would be ok.......maybe, but certainly not lower grades and this year's colts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
BellyTwoBlues, there is so much whinging in rugbydom. With so much negativity around, I am always on the look out for ways to recognise positive contributions. I am pleased with what is being reported with what you are doing out in the deep Inner West.

If only every club doesn't have a GM (backed up with passionate and motivated volunteers) such as you, then things would be good in rugbydom.

I am not a Two Blues Supporter, but I recognise that healthy numbers and competitive clubs in the West is good for the game everywhere.

Keep up the good work.

As much as I do not like to admit it too much, the Hobbits are also doing some impressive things. The more established clubs would do well to follow your leads.

B

BellyTwoBlues

who do I email to get our club logo updated on this site to the correct one?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^ Any one of the moderators should be able to help. Moses, Barbarian, FatProp or Cyclopath lurk around on the Shute Shield thread from time to time, and they seem to be computer savvy. Perhaps you could PM them with the latest logo?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There are currently 6 Shute Shield Games a week.

The should commit an entire season to running a game on a Friday night, 3 games on a Saturday (inc. TV game), and 2 games on a Sunday. They should only do this for 1st grade and 1st grade colts because the lower graders aren't generally aspiring elite athletes and probably want a stereotypical amateur sporting calendar (plus, it gives the option of giving the 1st grade benchers a good run in the 2nds).

From here they should have plenty of stats about when it works, why it works, at what clubs it works, etc.

If there's a handful of players who can't play Sundays in the whole league (and I'd suggest it'd only be a handful), these players would only miss 1/3 of the season which one can deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.