• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
You've suggested that Scots v Cranbrook would be a major schoolboy event.
Hard to take a punt where you're alliance comes from making a comment like that. I'll have a stab that your an ex GPS bloke. If so, big statement from someone who supports a competition that has been in a steady decline the past 5-10years. Whereas the CAS contingent have been going from strength to strength. The Scots v Cranbrook game is always something a large group of people look forward to.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
There are currently 6 Shute Shield Games a week.
The should commit an entire season to running a game on a Friday night, 3 games on a Saturday (inc. TV game), and 2 games on a Sunday. They should only do this for 1st grade and 1st grade colts because the lower graders aren't generally aspiring elite athletes and probably want a stereotypical amateur sporting calendar (plus, it gives the option of giving the 1st grade benchers a good run in the 2nds).
From here they should have plenty of stats about when it works, why it works, at what clubs it works, etc.
If there's a handful of players who can't play Sundays in the whole league (and I'd suggest it'd only be a handful), these players would only miss 1/3 of the season which one can deal with.

Enforcer, every one is different, the Sydney Rugby public applauded the Tahs for the afternoon games by attending - I thought it was great.
In QLD they had similar success.
The Test match against Wales in Sydney, albiet it another dour rugby game - well the afternoon atmosphere improved the occasion.

I like getting down early with the kids and watching 2+ games of rugby, they kick the ball around playing with their mates - hard to do on a Friday / Saturday night.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hard to take a punt where you're alliance comes from making a comment like that. I'll have a stab that your an ex GPS bloke. If so, big statement from someone who supports a competition that has been in a steady decline the past 5-10years. Whereas the CAS contingent have been going from strength to strength. The Scots v Cranbrook game is always something a large group of people look forward to.

OK guys this is veering into a different territory here.

Stick to the relevant GPS/CAS thread if you want to have a debate about the relative strengths of the schoolboy comps.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Actually a mungo from Wav Coll champ. played in two sides that beat CBOOK by 60 plus - Back to Shute shield sorry guys.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I like getting down early with the kids and watching 2+ games of rugby, they kick the ball around playing with their mates - hard to do on a Friday / Saturday night.

Hate to be naysayer but I still prefer Shute Shield on Saturday afternoon!

The beauty is 50% of the games would still be on a Saturday.

Plus, from a kid's perspective Sunday V Saturday daytime is no biggie. Friday, maybe, but that'd only be 1/6 of the games.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
As far the Schools/Clubs initiative is concerned, wouldn't it be worth getting some dialogue going on just a few games per year?

Surely there would be scope to pull a few big days off each season.

All it would take is for a Sydney Rugby Union rep to sit down with the GPS/CAS reps to compare calendars.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Just heard from a reliable source that Israel Folau will be aligned with Sydney University. NSW and all will deny any influence but we all know that is bullshit. It is an unadulterated disgrace, a rort and another example of the shortsightedness of Rugby Administration. If he signed with Parramatta, Penrith, Wests, Warringah or Souths, it would have been big news and a boost to the game in the areas where it's needed most, even though he'll probably never play a game of club rugby. Instead he disappears into the great talent vortex at Camperdown where he'll go up on the wall as yet another NSW/Australian rep from the Students. No doubt the thousands of Sydney Uni juniors will get a boost.. oh that's right they have none. I know the 1800 odd Parramatta Juniors would have, along with the thousands more in the West that might have been attracted to Rugby by a big name. An opportunity has been squandered and those responsible won't give a toss.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Just heard from a reliable source that Israel Folau will be aligned with Sydney University. NSW and all will deny any influence but we all know that is bullshit. It is an unadulterated disgrace, a rort and another example of the shortsightedness of Rugby Administration. If he signed with Parramatta, Penrith, Wests, Warringah or Souths, it would have been big news and a boost to the game in the areas where it's needed most, even though he'll probably never play a game of club rugby. Instead he disappears into the great talent vortex at Camperdown where he'll go up on the wall as yet another NSW/Australian rep from the Students. No doubt the thousands of Sydney Uni juniors will get a boost.. oh that's right they have none. I know the 1800 odd Parramatta Juniors would have, along with the thousands more in the West that might have been attracted to Rugby by a big name. An opportunity has been squandered and those responsible won't give a toss.

I think they wanted him to align with an organisation which had AFL, league, soccer, rugby, hockey, badminton and swimming teams so he could expand his horizons in the future!

Seriously though I agree with you totally.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
i see two sides of the coin here:

1. classic favouritism we have all come to love, sydney uni incentives etc etc

2. they want to fast track his development by making sure he trains in a near professional environment with top coaches...again the self fulfilling prophecy of the Sydney uni production line.

but surely he would have reaped just as many benefits playing under Lane (if he is still at the marlins) or blades?

and realistically do uni even need him?

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
There are hundreds of boys who want to play Rugby League in the Penrith area.(Not my club by the way).
According to a number of parents from that area that I have spoken to , there are not enough teams/clubs to accommodate them , so they travel to another catchment area or don't play.
Do they play Union instead ?
Clearly the answer is "no".
Do they know where Penrith Emus play or perhaps that they even exist ?
In most cases "no".
At a time when the Penrith Rugby club is struggling for survival ,& when it has been alleged that the ARU are considering pumping $$$'s into the area to keep it afloat ,
what a wonderful opportunity for the NSWRU to make a significant contribution to the development of Rugby in the area , by directing him to become a member of that club.
Even if he was only to play one game up there , what a huge amount of interest would be generated locally ,including amongst those who might usually have little or no interest in the code.
What would such an occasion be worth in dollars & cents to the Penrith club , & Rugby in general ?

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
i see two sides of the coin here:

1. classic favouritism we have all come to love, sydney uni incentives etc etc

2. they want to fast track his development by making sure he trains in a near professional environment with top coaches.again the self fulfilling prophecy of the Sydney uni production line.

but surely he would have reaped just as many benefits playing under Lane (if he is still at the marlins) or blades?

and realistically do uni even need him?
He'll probably never play at club level or even train there. The point is, on the rare occasion he turns up to a Uni game in the club polo, it will barely raise an eyebrow. He turns up to a game in a Two Blues/Emus/Pirates/Rats shirt and kids will flock to see him. We see it with Taaf now. Folau was a Parra junior until he was 14 for heavens sake. Until it's confirmed I'm remaining calm. If it is confirmed I am going ballistic.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
He'll probably never play at club level or even train there. The point is, on the rare occasion he turns up to a Uni game in the club polo, it will barely raise an eyebrow. He turns up to a game in a Two Blues/Emus/Pirates/Rats shirt and kids will flock to see him. We see it with Taaf now. Folau was a Parra junior until he was 14 for heavens sake. Until it's confirmed I'm remaining calm. If it is confirmed I am going ballistic.

Cheaper than tipping in $200k in cash.

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
BellyTwoBlues, there is so much whinging in rugbydom. With so much negativity around, I am always on the look out for ways to recognise positive contributions. I am pleased with what is being reported with what you are doing out in the deep Inner West.

If only every club doesn't have a GM (backed up with passionate and motivated volunteers) such as you, then things would be good in rugbydom.

I am not a Two Blues Supporter, but I recognise that healthy numbers and competitive clubs in the West is good for the game everywhere.

Keep up the good work.

As much as I do not like to admit it too much, the Hobbits are also doing some impressive things. The more established clubs would do well to follow your leads.
I agree with ya on that. Penrith still has a lot of work to do as always, as does Gordon who have been struggling the last couple of years. Eastwood will be strong again in 2013. I heard down the grapevine that Penrith are recruiting hard overseas as well as trying to gain Some Waratahs players which I dnt think would ever happen. A bulk of penrith forward pack have left and theyre trying to get S.Tau (West Harvour), I.Pine (West Harbour), T.Pearce (West Harbour) S.Cummins (Eastwood), R.Maa (Parramatta) M.Latukefu (Parramatta) D.Fakafanua (Parramatta) Transfers will be interesting to see nxt yr

Status
Not open for further replies.