• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
yeah I forgot that tense and long standing rivalry of test cricket with the Kiwis. I mean didnt McGrath or Gillespie or someone score a double ton or something?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I was gladdened to hear on this mornings radio show, 'The Big Sports Breakfast', when Michael Slater and TK advertised the Randwick Easts game at Coogee Oval tomorrow. I have no doubt this will attract a big crowd and hopefully some of the Roosters finge fans. Well done for putting a game on.
It really makes me sick to see the Swans and St Kilda cashing in on the Anzac tradition by holding a game in NZ. The pathetic and tenuous link between NZ / Aus and AFL makes me cringe - but it does make me wonder why arent we playing a Super Rugby game against a KIWI team every ANZAC day? I mean rugby is the only sport the two countries have in common. please dont tell me the mungos is a legit relationship..

Unfortunately the Roosters are playing tomorrow as well!
Wicks v Easts is always one of the best games of the year with the traditional rivalry between the 2 teams ensuring that no quarter will be asked or given across all grades. Even if you don't support either team it's worth attending. And the playing of the Last Post by Dominic Longhurst from Newington (member of the National Australia Band) will be spine tingling!
(Servicemen in uniform or with an ID admitted free)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Unfortunately the Roosters are playing tomorrow as well!
Wicks v Easts is always one of the best games of the year with the traditional rivalry between the 2 teams ensuring that no quarter will be asked or given across all grades. Even if you don't support either team it's worth attending. And the playing of the Last Post by Dominic Longhurst from Newington (member of the National Australia Band) will be spine tingling!
(Servicemen in uniform or with an ID admitted free)

Games against Easts were the only games you couldn't bare to lose. You could be forgiven for losing every other game but any game against Easts. My first taste of it was when I was 16 in my first year of Colts at the club. This little white haired man walked into the dressing room. Most us were familiar with him around the traps. Seemed a gentle enough soul. Except for that day. The vitriol that little man spewed toward Easts was remarkable. We won that day, frankly we were a little scared not to.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Games against Easts were the only games you couldn't bare to lose. You could be forgiven for losing every other game but any game against Easts. My first taste of it was when I was 16 in my first year of Colts at the club. This little white haired man walked into the dressing room. Most us were familiar with him around the traps. Seemed a gentle enough soul. Except for that day. The vitriol that little man spewed toward Easts was remarkable. We won that day, frankly we were a little scared not to.

I'm sure the little white haired man will be firing them up tomorrow too if it's who I think you mean!

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Would getting rid of the "power hit" from the scrum and reverting to the scrum being a simple pushing and hooking contest help keep fatties in the game?

You'd have to ask the props' club applauding Gibbo and Gristlechewer. Is it this a props takeover of this thread ? Mind you (old gag that it is) always appreciated the company of props called Labrador - bludgeing on the blind near the bbq

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
yeah I forgot that tense and long standing rivalry of test cricket with the Kiwis. I mean didnt McGrath or Gillespie or someone score a double ton or something?
Hockey? Lol, sorry, not having a go at ya Crashy. Just trying to reinforce that sometimes we (and I mean all of us) can have the blinkers on about this great game we love. Not everyone shares our obsession. Probably just as well.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
sorry - I'm in a grenache induced rage tonight. Even Rabs on Triple M had John Williamson write a song for the mungos. I mean that beautiful song " a number on my back' was written for the wallabies years ago and now we allow the mungo followers to think they are doing something new. fucking mungos - I hate them.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
love the two blues resergence by the way, especially in colts. Its great to see your 3rds winning 2 from 3. When was the last time Parra had 3 colts teams?

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
love the two blues resergence by the way, especially in colts. Its great to see your 3rds winning 2 from 3. When was the last time Parra had 3 colts teams?
I'll have to defer to Belly or someone else for the definitive answer to that but I do know that it's been a fair few years since we did it consistently (I think the 2010 group ran 3 teams on one or two occasions but I could be wrong). Belly, Christini and the board are to be congratulated for putting in place the structures that have nurtured this resurgence and for attracting quality coaches to the Colts. I've only seen them play once so far but I was mightily encouraged by the discipline, talent and sense of purpose in the group. And their sense of fun! It's going to be a tough year - they are very young, many of them are straight out of school playing hardened Colts, and that can be a very difficult assignment. This group will do well this year and better next year.

All of us here at Parra are hoping that Gordon continue to turn their fortunes around.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Shute Shield Long Standing Grudge Matches

OK, So the Wicks vs Beasts is a long standing grudge match with some on each side that absolutely, pathologically hate each other.

I'd imagine Rats and Marlins are similar.

For the benefit of the younger folk, what are the Shute Shield matches with the most hatred between the opponents and why?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Shute Shield Long Standing Grudge Matches

OK, So the Wicks vs Beasts is a long standing grudge match with some on each side that absolutely, pathologically hate each other.

I'd imagine Rats and Marlins are similar.

For the benefit of the younger folk, what are the Shute Shield matches with the most hatred between the opponents and why?

Randwick vs anyone tended to bring the spite in truckloads. However, I'd say the Wicks/Easts rivalry would have the most hatred I've ever experienced. In every encounter I experienced plenty of blood was split and often mates from school or even club in the previous season were sworn enemies come game day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Is this still the case for the players of 2013? Many of the 2013 Wicks were 2012 Easts or had come up through the Easts/Scots/Cranbrook development system.

Last year the Wicks Captain McGann was an Easts veteran, and from a long standing East stalwart family.

Gone are the days when a kid joined Colts for Club X and spent the rest of their career there, into Grade, Pressies, Golden Oldies and ended up Coaching the next generation of Club X's in the Junior Village Clubs.

There appears to be little loyalty from players to the Clubs (in the traditional sense), and there seems to be significantly less loyalty from the Clubs to the players. It's all about winning and stuff the consequences. If you can get Rockstar X from Club Y to cover a perceived weakness with player Z, then go for it. If Coach A is not getting the results demanded, then get another one.

The consequences of professionalism.

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
Is this still the case for the players of 2013? Many of the 2013 Wicks were 2012 Easts or had come up through the Easts/Scots/Cranbrook development system.

Last year the Wicks Captain McGann was an Easts veteran, and from a long standing East stalwart family.

Gone are the days when a kid joined Colts for Club X and spent the rest of their career there, into Grade, Pressies, Golden Oldies and ended up Coaching the next generation of Club X's in the Junior Village Clubs.

There appears to be little loyalty from players to the Clubs (in the traditional sense), and there seems to be significantly less loyalty from the Clubs to the players. It's all about winning and stuff the consequences. If you can get Rockstar X from Club Y to cover a perceived weakness with player Z, then go for it. If Coach A is not getting the results demanded, then get another one.

The consequences of professionalism.
I agree with this statement and as a result of clubs developing a culture like this I believe that the volunteer/player base of all clubs are being eroded as it is no longer a club but a bunch of mercenary individuals who only look after their self interest. Therefore when clubs need players or volunteers to go beyond the call of duty etc they don't, as deep down why would you if it's know longer about the club but more about individuals?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I think that there has also been a fair bit of player movement between Norths and Gordon, Rats and Marlins (and vice versa) which also goes to undermine the tribal hatred that supporters may wish to believe exists between the teams.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Coogee oval result- Wicks 17 Beasts 27 - 4 try bonus.

Easts defence too good. Wicks went to sleep and gave Beasts a 20 point head start. Too many errors from the Greens who didn't gallop too much. Beasts Scrum owned Wicks, getting a pushover tighthead scrum. Wicks seemed leaderless compared to a rather composed and well lead performance from the Beastie Boys.

Great day of 3rd tier footy in the sun at Coogee Oval.

Good crowd.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coogee oval result- Wicks 17 Beasts 27 - 4 try bonus.

Easts defence too good. Wicks went to sleep and gave Beasts a 20 point head start. Too many errors from the Greens who didn't gallop too much. Beasts Scrum owned Wicks, getting a pushover tighthead scrum. Wicks seemed leaderless compared to a rather composed and well lead performance from the Beastie Boys.

Great day of 3rd tier footy in the sun at Coogee Oval.

Good crowd.

A fair summation of the game.
The Wicks must have dropped the ball of through a forward pass on the 1st or 2nd phase at least 15 times.
Can't win matches against patient and composed opposition doing that.
I thought the yellow card given to Tim Wright was very harsh, but I doubt it impacted the outcome.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Wally Meagher and Cyril Towers would be turning in their grave over the amount of pill that was gifted to the opposition.

Doing that when your scrum is being owned almost ensures defeat is inevitable.

Not sure I would want to be at training on Tuesday night after a performance like that.

How good was Asa's try? I love to see the fattys score with the wind flowing through their locks.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Wally Meagher and Cyril Towers would be turning in their grave over the amount of pill that was gifted to the opposition.

Doing that when your scrum is being owned almost ensures defeat is inevitable.

Not sure I would want to be at training on Tuesday night after a performance like that.

How good was Asa's try? I love to see the fattys score with the wind flowing through their locks.

Asa is seriously fast for a front rower.
He followed up a kick against West Harbour and outpaced most of both teams.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
When John Maxwell played for the Wicks I often heard the call "Send John Maxwell off now. it saves time".

Status
Not open for further replies.