• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I could almost smell the linament through the TV. A good segment reminding us what keeps grass roots going. Blokes like Muncher. You don't get that "from the market" or learn how to do that at uni. There is no template. That is QBE stuff.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Great feature just now on Rugby HQ about Parra, would love to see them do one on every SS club through the season. Much better than listening to the panellists gabber on and on.
Absolutely! A different club each week would be great although I suspect my TV may be on the blink when it's Uni's turn :)

Just kidding!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty sure that they had Sunnyside from Brisvegas on a week or two ago. Looks like they are sharing things around.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'll have to defer to Belly or someone else for the definitive answer to that but I do know that it's been a fair few years since we did it consistently (I think the 2010 group ran 3 teams on one or two occasions but I could be wrong). Belly, Christini and the board are to be congratulated for putting in place the structures that have nurtured this resurgence and for attracting quality coaches to the Colts.
Belly is overseas at the moment and can't login but he has sent me a message to say that the last time we fielded 3 Colts teams was 2007.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Shute Shield Long Standing Grudge Matches

OK, So the Wicks vs Beasts is a long standing grudge match with some on each side that absolutely, pathologically hate each other.

I'd imagine Rats and Marlins are similar.

For the benefit of the younger folk, what are the Shute Shield matches with the most hatred between the opponents and why?
HJ,back in the 70's at Eastwood,it was always Randwick who were the most hated.One reason was because they were so bloody good,had all the stars and beating them (rarely happened)was like winning the comp.Also,one of the big traditions at Millner was the singalong led by Geoff Harvey after the game and Randwick were about the only team who never fronted.Always seemed to be up themselves.Probably different these days - maybe Uni have taken over this role!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
70's and 80's rugby was all about singing and drinking. Games were an inconvenient interruption to the post match activities.

It was the height of rudeness (back then) and extremely culturally insensitive not to indulge.

Too interested in recovery, stretching and nutrition nowdays.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Boys, I'm hoping my Rats knock off the Students this weekend, it would be a great win if they do.

Warringah should be very confident going into University this week. The students are without a host of players and are in danger of dropping three on the trot.

A lot of young faces in this line up including Aus 20 members Latu and Merriman aswell as former representatives Melrose and Dargaville.

Franky

Peter Burge (5)
Warringah should be very confident going into University this week. The students are without a host of players and are in danger of dropping three on the trot.

A lot of young faces in this line up including Aus 20 members Latu and Merriman aswell as former representatives Melrose and Dargaville.
Dargaville is an ex rat junior so should come under more pressure when he confronts his old club. My money is on Uni posting 3 losses on the trot which will be unheard of in my time!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Dargaville is an ex rat junior so should come under more pressure when he confronts his old club. My money is on Uni posting 3 losses on the trot which will be unheard of in my time!
Some interesting results and observations so far...
I saw Uni in a trial against Randwick - they had 4 or 5 Super players in and were lucky to win. I think they are looking vulnerable unless they bring back their Super 15 players - which we all know they will.
Am surprised by Easts going so well when they were unheralded earlier. Where & how do they get their depth from? Others have said that they have lost players to Randwick etc etc yet they seem to be roaring along in firsts.
The Wicks seem 30% off the pace despite having some good players coming through. Boom centre Terrence H has been great however let in 2 tries against Easts - the Wicks forwards were dominated yet seem OK on paper. The young 9 is a bit slow & underdone. They have no prowess in the scrum. The same players are getting picked in 1s and they have lost 3 yet 2nds are unbeaten. Horwitz played a bit of 2nds and looked good.
Went to Coogee on Thursday for the Anzac day game - its was a great atmosphere and great day of rugby - well done to whoever took that initiative.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
I could almost smell the linament through the TV. A good segment reminding us what keeps grass roots going. Blokes like Muncher. You don't get that "from the market" or learn how to do that at uni. There is no template. That is QBE stuff.

Why was TPN wearing his watch at training in the video segment?

Good segment though. Should be more of them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
MACCA, IIRC Beasts have been playing Wicks on ANZAC weekend (not always on Anzac day itself) for a couple of years.

Woodies puting MMM to the sword at halftime. 17-3. MMM look very tired and lacking a game plan.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Halftime around the venues

Wicks 17 Easts 27 (Fulltime - Played on Thursday)
Uni 8 Rats 10
Hobbits 18 Penrith 5
Norths 12 Gordon 7
MMM 3 (Hartman PK) Woodies 17 (Tau, McDougall tries, B Batger Conv 2/2, PK 1/1)
Pirates 17 Two Blues 15

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
MACCA, IIRC Beasts have been playing Wicks on ANZAC weekend (not always on Anzac day itself) for a couple of years.

Woodies puting MMM to the sword at halftime. 17-3. MMM look very tired and lacking a game plan.
Would that be their league coach, the one who was being touted for higher honours as I recall.
He thought they were getting towled in the penalty count and that was the cause - turns out its only 7-5: might have been some get squares at the end of the 1st half.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Halftime around the venues

Uni 8 Rats 10
Hobbits 18 Penrith 5
Norths 12 Gordon 7
MMM 3 (Hartman PK) Woodies 17 (Tau, McDougall tries, B Batger Conv 2/2, PK 1/1)
Pirates 17 Two Blues 15

Fulltime scores:
Uni 18 Rats 23
Hobbits 32 Penrith 12
Norths 22 Gordon 7
MMM 15 (Sigg, Helu Try, Hartman Conv 1/2, PK 1/1) Woodies 43 (Tau, McDougall (2), N Batger, Mitchell, Reily tries, B Batger Conv 5/6, PK 1/1)
Pirates 36 Two Blues 50

Ripper of a shiner for Michael McDougall

Edit. Full Time score North/Gordon updated

Status
Not open for further replies.